Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
So.. Leafs Lunch is dead. Real Kyper and Bourne dead too?

So now in the worlds biggest hockey market, we dont have a dedicated Leafs show on either of the countries biggest sports broadcasts?

How pathetic is that?

Reactions: kevsh and FreeBird

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

So now in the worlds biggest hockey market, we dont have a dedicated Leafs show on either of the countries biggest sports broadcasts?

How pathetic is that?
Why does it matter everyone just hated on those shows and said they were biased against the leafs.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto

How pathetic is that?
What happened to Kyper and Bourne?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
TSN Radio is just getting lazy over half the day they are rebroadcasting US shows.

If it wasn't for Overdrive they'd be completely broke.
It’s so much cheaper than producing a show. They can’t talk CFL everyday for an hour, they can’t get Jays personnel on the air, and they dont know enough about the NFL, college football, college hockey or college baseball to even have a decent conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: torontoblood

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
SNET's broader problem is they never give people time to get comfortable in their timeslots. Hosts one likes or dislikes is subjective, but they change things up too often. I used to listen to it all day years ago and remember it going from Landry/Stellick through Hogan through Hockey Central to Swirsky to McCown. All of it wasn't for everyone, but you knew who'd be on each day at what time.

I don't mind Marek's show and it's up against nothing so it will likely continue to do well.

Can't see Kypreos/Borne being an answer to Overdrive given how hockey focused the latter normally is in-season too. Things kind of went off the rails for SNET when they sent Tim and Sid to TV because to was just as a theme/brand a really good entry to Prime Time Sports. McCown had run his course at the end - especially given his salary - but they never had anyone to replace him (TV on radio? Yeesh.) Overdrive swept in and that was that. Overdrive isn't for everyone, but it's self-deprecating, the hosts have chemistry, and has an actual following.

Reactions: Roadhog

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Real Kyper and Bourne dead too?

That's too bad, I enjoyed listening to them while working.

Kyper gets a lot of grief but as I think I've pointed out (probably in this thread) not so long ago, he's a lot better than he used to be and has made some really bold calls/predictions that turned out to be accurate. Either he's got a lot of very solid, very inside sources or an actual functioning crystal ball.

Bourne though is practically the opposite: Wrong way more often than right about anything.

Edit: Just saw the schedule above, seems they're still on air thankfully.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

Kyper gets a lot of grief but as I think I've pointed out (probably in this thread) not so long ago, he's a lot better than he used to be and has made some really bold calls/predictions that turned out to be accurate. Either he's got a lot of very solid, very inside sources or an actual functioning crystal ball.

Bourne though is practically the opposite: Wrong way more often than right about anything.
They’re now the drive time show, 4-6 leading into whatever pregame show they have on that night (leafs or raptors, blue jays)

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Edit: Just saw the schedule above, seems they're still on air thankfully.
The problem I have with Bourne is that he is such a homer that it becomes painful to listen to most of the time. I get the idea of playing to the market, but it's not very entertaining when you know exactly what the host is going to say virtually every single time.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

How pathetic is that?

Leafs lunch was terrible at the end.

There was a time It was great but it fell HARD

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
The time slot has nothing to do with the quality of the show, it was on at the same time even when it was great.
We do need some kind of Leaf centric replacement. I want to hear about the Leafs as much as possible during the season.

I refuse to listen to those American feeds where most of the talk is college football related or nfl football even in the off-season.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The time slot has nothing to do with the quality of the show, it was on at the same time even when it was great.
It was great, but demos have changed and people consume differently.
The question is, does that time slot generate enough money to hire quality broadcasters?

Reactions: Sypher04

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We do need some kind of Leaf centric replacement. I want to hear about the Leafs as much as possible during the season.

I refuse to listen to those American feeds where most of the talk is college football related or nfl football even in the off-season.
The fan is all baseball, with people that don’t really know the sport, and I can only listen to a minute of that.
NHL network morning show is actually ok, but not Leafs centric.

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020
The problem I have with Bourne is that he is such a homer that it becomes painful to listen to most of the time. I get the idea of playing to the market, but it's not very entertaining when you know exactly what the host is going to say virtually every single time.

Hour 2 of kyper and Bourne now will be national, so maybe some of that changes. I suspect it will only be leafs heavy in the first hour.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Hour 2 of kyper and Bourne now will be national, so maybe some of that changes. I suspect it will only be leafs heavy in the first hour.
That would be unfortunate imo. I listen to them via podcast so easy to skip it I guess... I feel it might end up being like Hockey Central at Noon for the final hour... hit and miss with the biggest hit being no effing arrogant Jeff Marek. I can't listen to the 32 Thoughts pod due to him... argh. It's probably a me problem, but I like to deflect.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
That would be unfortunate imo. I listen to them via podcast so easy to skip it I guess... I feel it might end up being like Hockey Central at Noon for the final hour... hit and miss with the biggest hit being no effing arrogant Jeff Marek. I can't listen to the 32 Thoughts pod due to him... argh. It's probably a me problem, but I like to deflect.
I find Marek equally unlistenable, but I find most sports journalists to be unlistenable, so it might just be me. Bob McCowan was one of the few guys that I liked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad