Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Ailish has improved as has the show and while i don't really enjoy either morning show much i do find myself tuning into 590 more and more compared to the crap on 1050 , how long can you listen to the idiot spew Coco this or Coco that .

Julie T and Leafs Lunch is just as brutal as it was their first day , enough with the giggling , she sounds like a young teen giggling about some cute kid in class . Al's bro has some knowledge but i don't find he has much personality .
Wow! I really don't mind leafs lunch at all. I'm not sure what everyone is expecting/looking for?. Someone said she doesn't know what she's talking about. I disagree with that, strongly! She may be young but who cares? Her and Al's Brother do a decent job for me.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Toronto sports media is neutered and is not reflective of the fans at large.

It is a conflict of interest to have these two faceless souless conglomerates with so many investments in other teams properties and arenas and should never have been allowed to happen.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Wow! I really don't mind leafs lunch at all. I'm not sure what everyone is expecting/looking for?. Someone said she doesn't know what she's talking about. I disagree with that, strongly! She may be young but who cares? Her and Al's Brother do a decent job for me.
I expect the hosts to be prepared and not make as many mistakes as she makes. I certainly don’t expect swearing.

Reactions: hotpaws

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I expect the hosts to be prepared and not make as many mistakes as she makes. I certainly don’t expect swearing.
Agree to disagree here. They shouldn't be making constant mistakes. I have rarely heard JT make them on a consistent basis. To each their own, appreciate your outlook.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Every once in a while I sample these sports radio and hockey podcasts. The sports radio is unlistenable to me. I have zero tolerance for ads and blather that doesn't get to the point. Hockey podcasts are better due to less advertising but it's either not-so-bright types or pleasant banter between dull jocks repeatedly signalling their unimaginably comfortable lifestyles to the hoi polloi or a round table of rain men obsessed with esoteric statistics.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Corrado filled in for Colaiacovo again today......is it just me or is Carlo getting subbed out a lot for a different cohost lately?

Also can we discuss how nauseating Toronto radio ads have become? I listen to a lot of AM radio on my work commute.

590, 1050, 1010, 640.....and 680 if I'm stuck in traffic and don't know why. :laugh:

But holy hell are those Frank Leo ads everywhere. Can't go a day without hearing yet another testimonial about his "multi-million dollar marketing system", it's enough to make me never want to give Remax any business whatsoever.

Couple other candidates out there as well, like Spence Diamonds, Alpine Credit, Kars 4 Kids.....I have to change to a different station every time.

Almost makes me miss SiriusXM for that ad-free content. :help:

• Love
Reactions: Auston 316

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Corrado filled in for Colaiacovo again today......is it just me or is Carlo getting subbed out a lot for a different cohost lately?

Also can we discuss how nauseating Toronto radio ads have become? I listen to a lot of AM radio on my work commute.

590, 1050, 1010, 640.....and 680 if I'm stuck in traffic and don't know why. :laugh:

But holy hell are those Frank Leo ads everywhere. Can't go a day without hearing yet another testimonial about his "multi-million dollar marketing system", it's enough to make me never want to give Remax any business whatsoever.

Couple other candidates out there as well, like Spence Diamonds, Alpine Credit, Kars 4 Kids.....I have to change to a different station every time.

Sirius XM is ad free except for the ads and commercial breaks every 20 minutes.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Hmph.

It's been a long time since I used it and I only remember hearing ads on the comedy channels.

Guess they switched it up since then. No escape. :help:
I listen to the NHL chanel and they have lots of commercials now. Typically are promoting other channels.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

KPower

Jan 17, 2012

I didn’t mind Carlo when he first started on radio.

He had a lovable dumb jock personality but lately he’s an arrogant dumb jock. I don’t think he lasts in the business.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I didn’t mind Carlo when he first started on radio.

He had a lovable dumb jock personality but lately he’s an arrogant dumb jock. I don’t think he lasts in the business.

When he was paired with Landsberg? Yeah he was definitely the more enjoyable part of that tandem I'd say. :laugh:

Lately though, when he gets going, yeah it can be pretty annoying. Usually Korolnek keeping the show on track.

I'm still not convinced Carlo's free and clear from that older WJC team investigation either, the one that opened up a few months back.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
When he was paired with Landsberg? Yeah he was definitely the more enjoyable part of that tandem I'd say. :laugh:

Lately though, when he gets going, yeah it can be pretty annoying. Usually Korolnek keeping the show on track.

I'm still not convinced Carlo's free and clear from that older WJC team investigation either, the one that opened up a few months back.
If you use profanity, such as "Landsberg", you may be banned. Just a warning :)

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Carlo does have a child with complications and another young child. So he probably just has other obligations.

That being said Corrado is a great personality.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sirius XM is ad free except for the ads and commercial breaks every 20 minutes.
I have Sirius XM and would highly recommend it. I remember in December 2019 while I was driving back home from Orlando to Toronto, while I was in Ohio and close to the Hotel where I was staying the night, I got to hear the start of the Leafs/Hurricanes game and heard Joe Bowen's call of their first two goals they scored that afternoon.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I have Sirius XM and would highly recommend it. I remember in December 2019 while I was driving back home from Orlando to Toronto, while I was in Ohio and close to the Hotel where I was staying the night, I got to hear the start of the Leafs/Hurricanes game and heard Joe Bowen's call of their first two goals they scored that afternoon.
It’s great for drives.

I drive from North AL to FL quite often and I stream off my phone apps more so than listen on the radio.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I find it a little concerning that the two faceless and souless corporate conglomerates that own the Toronto Maple Leafs are allowed to be in what appears to be a conflict of interest between the parent and the subsidiary

It's concerning enough that the two media oligopolists were allowed to become bedfellows with one another in billion dollar enterprises, but permitting them to invest in the property and arenas of so many other sport franchises in competition with the Toronto Maple Leafs is a little worrisome.

The flexing of the media muscle has muted most critics. Any who have influence that is. Nobody cares bad mouth ML$E while they are employed by Rogers and Bell.

And who in their right mind would voluntarily commit career suicide by exposing the fraud perpetuated on a daily basis by the talking heads on Sportsnet?

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Listening to Eric Smith and Matt Devlin on bobcat’s podcast today. Oh boy do those two guys ever drink Masai’s kool aid.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
LIVE now. Bourne had a hot mic on the show with Kyper.

They interviewed Dave Nonis , and during the commercial:

Kyper: Nonis was ok
Bourne: I disagree. Can we get a f***ing opinion?

The chat is cracking me up. lol. Camera was left rolling too
And as a follow up, here's JBs face today when Gord Stellick just mentioned Nonis as a regular in his programme at Sirius XM:
jb.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: BTP

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

That pizza ad stuck in my mind when I listen to live over the internet. The one about free sex but it is 36

Reactions: Nineteen67

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
He meant he was ok as an interview, he was giving non-answers.

Bourne basically said he was a bad guest and it would be nice to get "a f***ing opinion" over a hot mic lol
That's rich coming from Bourne. He is basically a Kypreos yes man from the few times I've heard them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad