Confirmed with Link: Torey Krug (7 years @ $6.5m)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
You would rather have a 30 year old defender who is moderately but not exceptionally better then Vince Dunn for 6.5 then potentially getting a still growing into an upper level defender Vince Dunn at about 3.5? Why not just add a draft pick to Bozak and go that and scrap the entire Krug thing all together?

We could probably move Dunn for a 1st and Bozak for a 3rd.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I love how people are using the "SEE, HE GAVE A NMC!" then forget the "Partial for certain years part"
The purpose was to protect the player at the end of the contract. Watch the full video.

Like we would have tried to move him before the final years of the contract anyway :eyeroll: get a grip. There could also be NTC worked in the other years if Pietrangelo was concerned about a trade.

THE POINT IS THESE THINGS WERE ON THE TABLE.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
hes much better than Dunn

Better, yes. Much better? I don't think so, personally. He's a guy who gets almost all of his value from the powerplay, which, hey, what do you know, he got to share a powerplay unit with Marchand, Bergeron, and Pastarnak. Even strength he was solid, but once more, more a 2nd pairing guy then anything. Even the people who evaluate Krug highly note his stats are overly inflated from playing on Boston.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
The purpose was to protect the player at the end of the contract. Watch the full video.

Like we would have tried to move him before the final years of the contract anyway :eyeroll: get a grip. There could also be NTC worked in the other years if Pietrangelo was concerned about a trade.

THE POINT IS THESE THINGS WERE ON THE TABLE.

A MODIFIED NO MOVEMENT ISN'T A FULL NO MOVEMENT. AND IF THEY WERE ON THE TABLE FOR A FULL NO MOVEMENT, WHY DIDN'T HE JUST OFFER ONE.

For gods sakes, we gave f***ing Justin Faulk as strong of a No Movement without a f***ing game played as we did the top 5 defensemen in hockey who captained us to a Stanley Cup who still should have multiple years as a top player.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
A MODIFIED NO MOVEMENT ISN'T A FULL NO MOVEMENT. AND IF THEY WERE ON THE TABLE FOR A FULL NO MOVEMENT, WHY DIDN'T HE JUST OFFER ONE.

For gods sakes, we gave f***ing Justin Faulk as strong of a No Movement without a f***ing game played as we did the top 5 defensemen in hockey who captained us to a Stanley Cup who still should have multiple years as a top player.
Breath friend, it will be OK.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
We could probably move Dunn for a 1st and Bozak for a 3rd.

Have you looked at the cap situations for teams right now? Tampa just outright waved Tyler Johnson. Teams would want an add on to make it worthwhile to take Bozak. And why would anyone give a 1st for Dunn when they can sign him to a 4.3 million dollar contract with him right this second and all they would owe us is a 2nd?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Better, yes. Much better? I don't think so, personally. He's a guy who gets almost all of his value from the powerplay, which, hey, what do you know, he got to share a powerplay unit with Marchand, Bergeron, and Pastarnak. Even strength he was solid, but once more, more a 2nd pairing guy then anything. Even the people who evaluate Krug highly note his stats are overly inflated from playing on Boston.

That’s a fair analysis. I still think he’ll fit it perfectly with this group. His PP presence will be greatly welcomed.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Have you looked at the cap situations for teams right now? Tampa just outright waved Tyler Johnson. Teams would want an add on to make it worthwhile to take Bozak. And why would anyone give a 1st for Dunn when they can sign him to a 4.3 million dollar contract with him right this second and all they would owe us is a 2nd?

Bozak would require about a 1-1.5 mill in retention. But he’s a very good 3C on most teams and a decent 2c on some. Somebody would offer a 3rd or 4th with retention.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Faulk has a NTC.

Pietrangelo will have been offered a full NTC for some years, and then at the back end it would have been a NMC with a modified NTC. That means at the back end we can't put him on waivers, but we can trade him to however many teams are on his list. I'd guess it was a NMC with a 15-20 team no trade list in the last 2-3 years.

Faulk, Schenn & Krug all have a full NTC for the first five years of their deals, that fall to a 15 team NTC in the remaining years.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
It's understandable to be upset when your GM intentionally closes your Cup window prematurely
It is absolutely understandable to be upset, tho I disagree about the rest of your post. I'm not judging Novacain for being upset, just trying to talk a fellow Blues fan off a proverbial ledge and share some relevant information.

Reactions: mike1320

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
I wonder who the forward DA is interested in?
I speculated Hall, as we've had interest in him before--but that's a bit of a stretch. I bet it's a depth forward, but adding someone like Hoffman to the second line as Tarasenko insurance would be A-OK with me.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It is absolutely understandable to be upset, tho I disagree about the rest of your post. I'm not judging Novacain for being upset, just trying to talk a fellow Blues fan off a proverbial ledge.

Which part do you disagree with?

Alex Pietrangelo is a top 5 defenseman in the world. Torey Krug might be top...30?

Vladimir Tarasenko is out longterm and possibly is never going to be the same player. You don't have any cap space because you just used it sign a guy that might be no better than Justin Faulk long term.

I'm sorry in what universe is this team a contender with an open window? People are seriously seriously seriously underestimating the dropoff from Pietrangelo to Krug

Reactions: Ranksu and Vollie27

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Which part do you disagree with?

Alex Pietrangelo is a top 5 defenseman in the world. Torey Krug might be top...30?

Vladimir Tarasenko is out longterm and possibly is never going to be the same player. You don't have any cap space because you just used it sign a guy that might be no better than Justin Faulk long term.

I'm sorry in what universe is this team a contender with an open window? People are seriously seriously seriously underestimating the dropoff from Pietrangelo to Krug
It's quite clear which part I disaree with.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I'm sorry, but I'd rather have not signed Krug. We already dealt for Faulk and gave him an albatross of a contract. We gave Schenn an eight-year-deal that concerns me, given his physical style of play. Scandella got a four year deal (not positive if he has a NTC or not). And now Krug, who is not good on defense, gets a long term deal. We lack draft picks for next year. Schwartz is at the end of his contract after this year, along with Binnington. And that's not even considering Seattle and whom they might take.

I don't see us as a contender - not with Pietrangelo gone and with Tarasenko possibly never being the same player he was.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I'm sorry, but I'd rather have not signed Krug. We already dealt for Faulk and gave him an albatross of a contract. We gave Schenn an eight-year-deal that concerns me, given his physical style of play. Scandella got a four year deal (not positive if he has a NTC or not). And now Krug, who is not good on defense, gets a long term deal. We lack draft picks for next year. Schwartz is at the end of his contract after this year, along with Binnington. And that's not even considering Seattle and whom they might take.

I don't see us as a contender - not with Pietrangelo gone and with Tarasenko possibly never being the same player he was.

Krug is a hell of a player.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Pietrangelo is a top 5 defenseman in the NHL. Krug top 30 that's being generous. Krug is a good player but he is a very very steep drop off from Pietrangelo. I'm sorry but some of you guys are seriously seriously seriously underestimating the drop off from Pietrangelo to Krug. And disagree with me all you want. I don't see the Blues being a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad