Confirmed with Link: Torey Krug (7 years @ $6.5m)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
I like the Blues, hopefully he works out for you guys. Honestly glad the Bruins moved on from him. If he wasn't as tiny as he is he would be #1D quality. Top 3 PP QB in the league but gets exploited in the playoffs when other teams have the last change. It looks like he's playing against his older brother out there.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
From Cup champion to pretender in 1 year. Not happy at all. At this time in the off season last year we were talking about Pie getting a statue downtown. Dudes wife is from STL, his triplets are less than 2 years old, and a huge support structure here. Seemingly the easiest extension to get hammered out. Army f***ed this up. If the quote above me is accurate, this reeks of Army smelling his own farts. Pie paid his dues here, and was instrumental in getting this town a cup. Army did him a disservice, and now the foundation of our team is gone. No buts about it.

Why don't you wait for more information to come out before assuming you know the whole story? Sounds like Petro and his camp were being somewhat stubborn as well. Maybe he thought the Blues would keep the door open longer. Or maybe Army got the sense that Petro wanted to move on deep down. I said before I don't think it's ONLY about money, but rather does he want a new challenge in his career. Does he want to live his whole life in STL? A support structure is nice, but when you're a multimillionnaire I don't think it matters as much. To be honest, I thought he was going to relocate back to Canada but I have no idea anymore.

I think Petro underestimated how serious Army was and now he may end up having to move to a city that wasn't even on his radar from the start. Philly? Columbus? NYR? Maybe it will still be Vegas, but seems like Petro's camp may have overplayed their hand.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Stings seeing that 27 is basically out the door.

however, this contract is actually pretty solid given what other defensemen are going for.

Would be a god send if somehow Pietro ran out of options and circled back and we could find a way to move out Faulk and Bozak and have both. I just don’t see that happening.

I really hope this is the piece that fixes our pp and not just Faulk 2.0

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
I like the Blues, hopefully he works out for you guys. Honestly glad the Bruins moved on from him. If he wasn't as tiny as he is he would be #1D quality. Top 3 PP QB in t he league but gets exploited in the playoffs when other teams have the last change. It looks like he's playing against his older brother out there.

As a Bruins fan I have to say, Krug had a great playoff run in 2019. He was arguably the best player after Rask

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'd have hated this signing if we had Pietrangelo. Krug is a PP speciailist on a team that already has Faulk and Dunn. He relies on speed. Those are not the players you sign into their mid-30s. This deal signaling we lost Pietrangelo also, that is just rubbing salt into the wound...then stabbing the wound, then burning it, then nuking it, then pouring some more salt on the rubble. This absolutely sucks. I'd honestly rather have done nothing and rebuilt if we couldn't sign Pietrangelo. As it stands now, we will have a few more years of mediocrity before several years of being bad when ROR, Schwartz and Parayko all flee this sinking ship.

Krug does not rely on speed. He straight ahead speed is below average. He is good on his edges and crafty at creating space in the transition game. But his lack of pure foot speed hurts him in that he is poor at cutting off plays at the red and blue line and at 5 on 5 he plays very close to the left point on offense because he can’t get back on D. Krug’s strength is between the ears in the offensive zone. But he is both small and slow.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
As a Bruins fan I have to say, Krug had a great playoff run in 2019. He was arguably the best player after Rask

Yes he had a great 2019 playoff run for sure! Doesn’t change the fact that he has been exposed by deeper offensive teams when it’s harder for the Bruins to shelter him. The fact that people have him on a shutdown pairing with Colt on their projections here is going to leave them disappointed.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
If Pietrangelo's camp did overplay their hand, then it makes this signing even dumber.

What better bargaining position could you ask to be in than to be the GM of the team the player wants to sign with when the open market isn't driving up the price and offering concessions to the player that you don't want to make?
The problem is that we, and DA, won’t know if Petro overplayed his hand until we see what contract he ends up with. I do think DA should have given Petro’s camp a heads up that if they don’t agree to a contract by x time, then the Blues would be looking elsewhere...but these are the risks both sides take when a player opts to hit FA; the player is under no obligation to provide the same courtesy to their previous team, and the player controls his own destiny. DA decided that he would control is own destiny, too, and not be beholden to Petro’s decision and timeline, which could have precluded DA from obtaining players that he otherwise could have obtained.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
If Pietrangelo's camp did overplay their hand, then it makes this signing even dumber.

What better bargaining position could you ask to be in than to be the GM of the team the player wants to sign with when the open market isn't driving up the price and offering concessions to the player that you don't want to make?

I'm noy saying he "wanted" to sign with the Blues necessarily, he just assumed that there would be more options than there currently are. And he thought someone might offer $9 million per year. He probably assumed the Blues would still be an option even if those offers didn't materialize. In the end, he may not get any offers that are significantly better than the Blues offer and he'll be stuck going to a team that wasn't even on his radar before.

Clearly Army drew a line in the sand and wasn't going to be pushed beyond that line. In a normal offseason Petro would have all the leverage, but now he's finding out that isn't the case. I still think there are more factors at play besides the money, who knows what Petro's priorities are. For all the talk of having a wife from STL that doesn't automatically mean him and his family want to stay here permanently.

That being said, it would be amazing if we could move Dunn and someone else and still re-sign Petro although I realize the chances of that happening are not high.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Krug does not rely on speed. He straight ahead speed is below average. He is good on his edges and crafty at creating space in the transition game. But his lack of pure foot speed hurts him in that he is poor at cutting off plays at the red and blue line and at 5 on 5 he plays very close to the left point on offense because he can’t get back on D. Krug’s strength is between the ears in the offensive zone. But he is both small and slow.
Yes he had a great 2019 playoff run for sure! Doesn’t change the fact that he has been exposed by deeper offensive teams when it’s harder for the Bruins to shelter him. The fact that people have him on a shutdown pairing with Colt on their projections here is going to leave them disappointed.
THIS right here! If I could pin these posts I would!

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The best player on that Cup winning team was ROR.

For the mind numbingly stupid portion of our fanbase that inexplicably like this signing, I have to assume it’s because you only care about offense because it’s only logical conclusion that can be drawn.

So for that group, here’s a fun fact about Ryan O’Reilly and the Cup run.

Prior to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals, ROR had a mere 5 goals in the prior 37 games the Blues played. O’Reilly was the best player in the finals.

He was not the best player for the entirety of the run.

mike1320

For the mind numbingly stupid portion of our fanbase that inexplicably like this signing, I have to assume it’s because you only care about offense because it’s only logical conclusion that can be drawn.

Prior to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals, ROR had a mere 5 goals in the prior 37 games the Blues played. O’Reilly was the best player in the finals.

ROR won the Selke and the Conn Smythe. Neither had anything to do with offense.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Brewhouse Sports

June 12th, 2019… a day that will live in infamy.
Dec 16, 2010
You're not getting it.

This team cannot contend as currently constructed. The window is closed.

You don't want to be hamstrung?

You are hamstrung by Justin Faulk.
You are hamstrung by Torey Krug.
You are hamstrung by Brayden Schenn since you want to keep talking about potential for contracts to go bad. There's one that actually has a real good shot of going bad.

There isn't a number 1 defenseman on this team. Not Parayko. Not Krug. Not Faulk.

This isn't a contender anymore and even more so if and when Pietrangelo signs in Vegas.

Be honest, this is about the terms. All the players you listed above got the long terms. Market values are correct and not sure everyone keeps forgetting the fact that maybe AP didn’t want to come back.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
ROR won the Selke and the Conn Smythe. Neither had anything to do with offense.

Ryan O’Reilly was the first player since Wayne Gretzky to score goals in 4 straight finals games. You’re lying to yourself if you think that didn’t play a role.

The Selke is a regular season award.

This isn’t an attack on O’Reilly though. He’s stellar and what every team should want MUCH LIKE ALEX PIETRANGELO.

I only brought him up to see if the idiot brigade that likes Torey Krug would also want to move on from O’Reilly for someone cheaper and one dimensional

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Ryan O’Reilly was the first player since Wayne Gretzky to score goals in 4 straight finals games. You’re lying to yourself if you think that didn’t play a role.

The Selke is a regular season award.

This isn’t an attack on O’Reilly though. He’s stellar and what every team should want MUCH LIKE ALEX PIETRANGELO.

I only brought him up to see if the idiot brigade that likes Torey Krug would also want to move on from O’Reilly for someone cheaper and one dimensional
ROR for Nylander! :sarcasm:

Brewhouse Sports

June 12th, 2019… a day that will live in infamy.
Dec 16, 2010
I will be fair to Krug. He is actually a quality 2nd pairing defensemen. Overall, under different circumstances, I'd be very pleased he's a Blue. It's just the last year and a half of Armstrong playing cute on the negotiations with our franchise player that's got me angry.

Playing cute? What do you mean? You mean negotiating with a top end talent on your team to try to bring him back on a deal that works for the org and the player? I am sorry but Alex is not the player you just hand a blank check to a say fill it out.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016

Man, you only deal in absolutes. I've not seen one single person say they'd rather have Krug over AP. People are just happy we aren't moving in to the new season minus someone decent to fill AP's hole. Regardless of the reason why he didn't sign, DA couldn't just sit and wait for him to decide. The same people railing on DA for not signing AP would have exploded heads from a situation where we wait and then get stuck with no one because AP signs somewhere else. I just wish AP would have accepted the offer. Unless some team offers him 9+×7 he's not going to get what was even offered by us. I'm beginning to think AP's agent is a f***ing idiot. These aren't normal times and relying on logic predicated on pre covid was stupid. Or, and this is a possibility, petro wanted to move on. We don't know. Stressing out and laying blame when we don't know the full side of either story does nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad