Confirmed with Link: TOR sign F Zach Aston-Reese to a PTO

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I think they're probably hungry, yes.

I think Kerfoot gets the 2nd line LW job.

I think NAK and ZAR (pto, my arse) are locks for the 4th line.

And then I think that there's a mad scramble for one spot on the 4th line to be won (initially) by Clifford or Abruzzese.
If kerfoot is the one staying, who do you think is getting traded to be cap compliant?

I think ZAR will get signed too, but he still has to earn that spot over those other guys I listed.

I forgot Abbruzzese. Clifford is highly unlikely to make the team. He hasn't looked up to NHL calibre for a few seasons now and is likely Clune's replacement on the Marlies.

Reactions: stickty111

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Dubie's weak that why it cost him a 1st to dump Marleau and it was his own mishandling of the cap which was the reason he had to dump him in the first place

funny how you praise Dubas for having to spend assets to dump Ritchie/Mzarek yet are still upset at Lou even though he left us multiple team friendly/value deals in Brown/Kadri/Hyman/Rielly/Andy and i can guarantee LL wouldn't have paid a first to get rid of Marleau

I get it... you were wrong in jumping to a conclusion, so now you make something else up to attack about. I mean, you have made that stuff up... maybe cool off those paws a little before jumping up and down.

Last edited:

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
If kerfoot is the one staying, who do you think is getting traded to be cap compliant?

I think ZAR will get signed too, but he still has to earn that spot over those other guys I listed.

I forgot Abbruzzese. Clifford is highly unlikely to make the team. He hasn't looked up to NHL calibre for a few seasons now and is likely Clune's replacement on the Marlies.
I don't think there's any trade (of note). There's probably an LTIR situation our dear friend Prindham comes up with.

Management love Kerfoot and Holl.

Clifford not being NHL calibre probably doesn't even register in management's mind in the first quarter of the season to be honest.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't think there's any trade (of note). There's probably an LTIR situation our dear friend Prindham comes up with.

Management love Kerfoot and Holl.

Clifford not being NHL calibre probably doesn't even register in management's mind in the first quarter of the season to be honest.

I mean, the only player of consequence at this point is Robertson... none of these guys are blocking him. The rest, maybe we are talking about career potential 4th liners, 3rd liners if they really progress and get lucky. But mostly 4th liners... these are such marginal players, they are pretty easily replaceable... that's both the vets, and the Marlies guys. Robertson will get his chance, and the rest, well, show up and be better, and in the end... it doesn't matter too much. These are barely consequential guys.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Giordano, Blackwell and Lyubushkin, pretty solid additions really.

1. To fix Lou's mistake, 2, he traded back 13 spots..that was the cost for managing the cap.

Dubas went with Murray and Samsanov, as there were few better options, that were short term options. Kuemper might have been the only guy worth debating about, but I'm not particularly sold on him, and think he'll have a regression season with Washington.
Dubas did not have to do anything as hasty as moving 1st round picks to "wipe clean" the previous acquisitions done by Lou. Nobody put a gun Dubas' head said he has to move Marleau. He's using wet wipes to clean up his own messes: Ritchie & Mrazek. The Mrazek situation is a very curious one. He moved a 1st round pick to move on from an often injured goalie, and now he's acquired another often injured goalie. Why hasn't he learned from this earlier mistake? I'll tell you why. He has to because of the cap situation.

Blackwell and Boosh were acquired to move on from Ritchie. I mean Blackwell's contributions...are they worth mentioning? Boosh was ok, but didn't truly tilt things in TOR's favour.

Gio was good and I'll give Dubas credit for that.

Dubas went with Samsonov and Murray for sake of the cap. We'll see how this goes, but if I were a GM I wouldn't bank on them. I don't buy for a second that Murray/Sam were the best choices. Kyle has no cap space and no assets to trade. That's why TOR has Murray/Sam.

The goalie market has what appeared to be a limited amount of players to sign, but that's not the whole truth. A GM has the entire league of players to choose from, but a tight squeeze with limited cap/no picks/no prospects has had KD restrained. Lou is long gone. KD has only himself to reflect on.

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
Dubas did not have to do anything as hasty as moving 1st round picks to "wipe clean" the previous acquisitions done by Lou. Nobody put a gun Dubas' head said he has to move Marleau. He's using wet wipes to clean up his own messes: Ritchie & Mrazek. The Mrazek situation is a very curious one. He moved a 1st round pick to move on from an often injured goalie, and now he's acquired another often injured goalie. Why hasn't he learned from this earlier mistake? I'll tell you why. He has to because of the cap situation.

Blackwell and Boosh were acquired to move on from Ritchie. I mean Blackwell's contributions...are they worth mentioning? Boosh was ok, but didn't truly tilt things in TOR's favour.

Dubas went with Samsonov and Murray for sake of the cap. We'll see how this goes, but if I were a GM I wouldn't bank on them. I don't buy for a second that Murray/Sam were the best choices. Kyle has no cap space and no assets to trade. That's why TOR has Murray/Sam.

The goalie market has what appeared to be a limited amount of players to sign, but that's not the whole truth. A GM has the entire league of players to choose from, but a tight squeeze with limited cap/no picks/no prospects has had KD restrained. Lou is long gone. KD has only himself to reflect on.

All reports hinted that we were heavily in on Fleury but it didn't even get a chance to happen -- I'm sure most of us would have felt better with Fleury/Samsonov. It's not ideal, and it's definitely high risk, but as Fogelhund already stated, the only real debate here would be Kuemper (I don't think Husso was going to happen).

Nothing is ever perfect, and you're right that we have cap complications, but given the circumstances, I'm not that pressed about how things turned out. We had garbage goaltending all last year, so I understand why they felt like they could take this risk.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

He didn't NEED to move Marleau right away, but it was his an equivalent of making the team better, through a de-acquisition. We basically signed Tavares, at a cost of a first and moving Marleau. Marleau isn't moved, we don't have Tavares. Maybe you are in the, we shouldn't have acquired Tavares camp, but that would have left us quite weak at C, as Kadri was absolutely getting moved no matter what... Maybe there were other options, who knows.

Bringing back Mrazek just wasn't an option. We know that. It cost us 13 spots in the draft, and we shall see how that plays out. From my perspective, I don't care too much, as we didn't miss out on anyone I was particularly interested in.

Yes, we are cap strapped, though moves could have been made, if we really wanted a particular goalie. I see these as stop gap situations, which given our compete now situation, kind of sucks. A flat cap wasn't predictable, so hard to really be bothered there.. we should have been like many other teams, Pittsburgh for example, where the cap grew, and the big contracts weren't a problem. If it wasn't for Covid, we'd be at $86.5-88 mil right now, and we wouldn't be that worried about things... but, it is what it is.

My personal hope is that Samsanov plays well, and Woll steps up to become a NHL player this year, with Murray getting injured enough to go LTIR.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
All reports hinted that we were heavily in on Fleury but it didn't even get a chance to happen -- I'm sure most of us would have felt better with Fleury/Samsonov. It's not ideal, and it's definitely high risk, but as Fogelhund already stated, the only real debate here would be Kuemper (I don't think Husso was going to happen).

Nothing is ever perfect, and you're right that we have cap complications, but given the circumstances, I'm not that pressed about how things turned out. We had garbage goaltending all last year, so I understand why they felt like they could take this risk.
Talbot was the better option than Murray for me.

Reactions: zoA

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

They're both very similar. One played on a strong defensive team and one played on a shit show of a team that was entering a rebuild when he signed.

I definitely prefer Talbot's cap hit, though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Talbot is in serious decline at this point, or appeared to be last year, except for a good stretch near the end of the season. The bonus in obtaining him, would have been only one year commitment.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
There are lots of other goalies he could have chosen with similar or lesser caphits.
Yeah I've seen a lot of people say this is the result of cap mismanagement and it really isn't. Kuemper went for 5.25, Campbell for 5, Husso for 4.75. All comparable amounts to Murray let alone Murray+Samsonov's cap hit

Dubas went for the players he wanted. We'll see if he was right

Reactions: stickty111

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Unfortunately Dubas can't pass up soft, skilled, smurfs and players from the Soo. So much so that he bailed the Sens out of a terrible contract. Gotta love a GM who is nice enough to help out a division rival and overpay at the same time.

Reactions: Racer88

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Unfortunately Dubas can't pass up soft, skilled, smurfs and players from the Soo. So much so that he bailed the Sens out of a terrible contract. Gotta love a GM who is nice enough to help out a division rival and overpay at the same time.
Lol

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yeah I've seen a lot of people say this is the result of cap mismanagement and it really isn't. Kuemper went for 5.25, Campbell for 5, Husso for 4.75. All comparable amounts to Murray let alone Murray+Samsonov's cap hit

Dubas went for the players he wanted. We'll see if he was right

History (Sparks, Hutch, Rittich, Andersen, Mrazek (some will now say Soup)) says he is wrong.

Stings ??

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Did you miss "players from the Soo" ?? No need to bring up Malgin.

So I'm going through my head of players he's brought in that have a Soo connection. A lot of them were from before he was there but I'll try to list them.

Muzzin
Simmonds (1 year after spending 2 in Owen Sound)
Bunting
Sandin
Hollowell?
Thornton

Which ones are soft? It's possible I'm missing some. Hollowell could be considered small but he was a 5th round pick (one of only two Soo players the Leafs have drafted in Dubas' time with the Leafs). He's fought a few times in Marlies games I've watched.

I don't love all of the moves he makes but this lazy narrative is weird to me. Who did I miss?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So I'm going through my head of players he's brought in from the Soo. A lot of them were from before he was there but I'll try to list them.

Muzzin
Simmonds (1 year after spending 2 in Owen Sound)
Bunting
Sandin
Hollowell?
Thornton

Which ones are soft? It's possible I'm missing some. Hollowell could be considered small but he was a 5th round pick (one of only two Soo players the Leafs have drafted in Dubas' time with the Leafs). He's fought a few times in Marlies games I've watched.

I don't love all of the moves he makes but this lazy narrative is weird to me. Who did I miss?

I said "soft, skilled, smurfs and players from the Soo" not "soft, skilled, smurfs from the Soo".

Reactions: justashadowof

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Got no clue how good of a 4th liner this guy actually is but if he's as everyone is describing, it will be a welcome change to having Simmonds/Clifford on the 4th line pretending to bring a physical presence.

a physical presence, or anything useful to the lineup at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad