Confirmed with Link: TOR sign F Zach Aston-Reese to a PTO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Felix the Cat Potvin

Jun 18, 2022
Oh I know. I'm just using the same logic the user you responded to was using.
No, you aren't. ZAR was traded to get rid of him prior to the playoffs. There was no reason he had to be included in the Rakell trade.

McDonough was traded for cap reasons, prior to the beginning of the regular season, not the playoffs.

And looks like all the disagreement over my post calling him a soft player has at least quieted down following the reality check.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Oh I know. I'm just using the same logic the user you responded to was using.
Absolutely correct. Look at how many good to great players have been traded at or near the deadline. Just use Pittsburgh as an exmaple. Francis, Hossa Iginla etc...obviously ZAR isn't one of those guys but.....

Reactions: stickty111

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Internal competition is fantastic. Bit we bring in external competition of which most of them (not all of them) have very, very little difference about them.

I'm all for internal competition. That's what I'm wanting to see. We've signed (assuming ZAR signs) about half a dozen external guys. That's my point.

Either way, nothing is going to change. We're going to carry on drafting guys, over-hyping them, never really get to see them play for the Leafs, and then move on to the next batch. It is what it is.
If we bring them in, technically it's internal competition but I see your angle.
Either way it's good for the up and comers to have to always be getting better.

That said I disagree. I find that specifically in the dubas years prospects have come up, done well and then been moved for other pieces. Grundstrom kapanen Mik to name a few.
No team is 100% home grown and I think we do a good job not strangle holding them.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Thats a nice signing. Strong defensive player that finishes every check. PTO means he doesn't want to sign for league min but that's not surprising because he's actually good.

Hopefully this means we see a ZAR-Kampf-NAK 4th line, with one of the kids joining the kerfoot/engvall/jarnkrok 2nd/3rd line mix.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I would argue it is the exact opposite: Engvall, Jarnkrok, NAK, Kampf, Malgin, Anderson, Steeves, Robertson, Abruzzese, Holmberg, Gaudette, Simmonds, Clifford, and McMann. The first four will have guaranteed jobs, so ZAR will have to steal one of two job from the latter guys... And more than 2 of them are good enough to play in the NHL right now.
We are actually in agreement about spots essentially being at a premium. Poor choice of words on my part in that previous post of mine. I just have a feeling that his chances of claiming a spot here are pretty good for a player coming into camp on a PTO. Mind you, it's always a good thing to stock up on options as the waiver wire (in terms of having players claimed by rival teams) can be unpredictable at even the best of times.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeaOfBlue

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I don't think it's a meltdown. Nor do I think it's a PTO (other than it being called that at the moment).

I don't understand why we never play our prospects. There never seems to be a chance for them. A few of them get half a dozen games a year, and that's it.
This is a good thing. These signings of Gaudette, NAK, Malgin etc aren't guaranteed spots so it gives both them and the prospects more incentive to fight harder in camp and preseason to actually earn a spot. It also strengthens the Marlies and adds to our depth for injuries. I want to see our prospects make it as much as anyone but most of them are 22 and under. There's no rush and I want to see them earn the spot full time when they're ready.

Why the Sarcasm?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
This is a good thing. These signings of Gaudette, NAK, Malgin etc aren't guaranteed spots so it gives both them and the prospects more incentive to fight harder in camp and preseason to actually earn a spot. It also strengthens the Marlies and adds to our depth for injuries. I want to see our prospects make it as much as anyone but most of them are 22 and under. There's no rush and I want to see them earn the spot full time when they're ready.

Why the Sarcasm?
Hey let's be honest here. It doesn't give them more incentive. They're not making the team. There's no competition for spots. The vets are getting the spots. It's a nice idea. But none of the guys on the Marlies are going to get a chance.

Either way, it is what it is.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ok. How did Dubas do last year at the trade deadline? Who did he acquire to help bolster TOR's roster for the playoff push?

If KD is doing so well at managing the cap then why did he have to trade 1st round picks to rid of contracts?

Also why did KD have to take a reclamation project in Murray for a starting goalie role?

It's just so easy to present this stuff.

Giordano, Blackwell and Lyubushkin, pretty solid additions really.

1. To fix Lou's mistake, 2, he traded back 13 spots..that was the cost for managing the cap.

Dubas went with Murray and Samsanov, as there were few better options, that were short term options. Kuemper might have been the only guy worth debating about, but I'm not particularly sold on him, and think he'll have a regression season with Washington.

Reactions: stickty111

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hey let's be honest here. It doesn't give them more incentive. They're not making the team. There's no competition for spots. The vets are getting the spots. It's a nice idea. But none of the guys on the Marlies are going to get a chance.

You've claimed this about Marchment, which was false.

Every year, we've broken new players/rookies into full time roles.

Last year it was Bunting, Sandin and Liljegren... there were NO Marlies that earned, deserved full time promotion, or were blocked. Abruzzese saw games, Robertson, Steeves all saw games. None really ready.

2020-21.. weird year, but again, nobody really worthy of moving up yet.. but Brooks, Robertson, Sandin, Liljegren and Barabanov were given shots, but none were ready.

2019-20 Mikheyev, Engvall, Timashov, Moore, Brooks, Korshkov, Rosen, Lilj, Marchment, Sandin... all got games... and some quite a few games. These weren't blocked by veterans. Mik and Engvall became important parts of the team eventually.

I have no idea where this premise is coming from, that we are blocking players from moving up. Regularly we've promoted players who were good enough, and who were ready. If Robertson is ready, he'll play with the Leafs, and likely on the second line. There are a few more guys, who might earn spots... and that's what will happen, if they make the team.

So, if Robertson makes the team, and when Sandin signs... we'll have brought up six guys over the last two years, that became full time players.. who were rookies, developing players... ok, we can argue Bunting is a stretch.. so call it five guys. At some point, Woll will play for the Leafs this year, and it wouldn't shock me if he sticks.

Who are all these players who we've blocked, who are clear upgrades right now, over any of these vets signed?

I don't know what this is hard to see, but we've been comfortable waiving, moving players in the past, when they didn't work for us, and will again. If we actually sign ZAR, and one of our Marlies is better, we'll attempt to move ZAR. It's been done before, and will be again.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Giordano, Blackwell and Lyubushkin, pretty solid additions really.

1. To fix Lou's mistake, 2, he traded back 13 spots..that was the cost for managing the cap.

Dubas went with Murray and Samsanov, as there were few better options, that were short term options. Kuemper might have been the only guy worth debating about, but I'm not particularly sold on him, and think he'll have a regression season with Washington.
wow , we're now blaming Lou for signing Mzarek

• Haha
Reactions: Metroid

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
wow , we're now blaming Lou for signing Mzarek

Hey man.... please take time to read, and think before posting.

Let me help you out...

If KD is doing so well at managing the cap then why did he have to trade 1st round picks to rid of contracts?

We traded two first round picks to move players right? You understand this right?

First was Marleau... that's why I posted the number 1... it was the first pick traded... agreed? Who signed Marleau? ya... ok, try and think this stuff out next time, before jumping to the attack.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

You don't think a player like Anderson who has been in the AHL for 4 yrs and is 24yrs old in a make or break season is gonna be hungry for a spot in camp to beat out the likes of Gaudette, Malgin etc? For example.

The Leafs are over the cap which means that Kerfoot is the most likely guy to get traded. That opens up a spot at 2LW. You don't think a guy like Robertson or Malgin is hungry for that spot and a chance to play with a combo of Tavares and Nylander/Marner? I think the 3rd line is a lock to be Engvall - Kampf - Jarnkrok.

The only player I think is likely a lock on the 4th is NAK. Other than that all of:

Gaudette
Malgin
Robertson
ZAR
Steeves
Holmberg
Anderson
Simmonds
Clifford

Simmonds and Clifford look to be done. None of those guys on that list are locks and are either gonna be Leafs, Marlies or waiver claims. Again, healthy competition for likely 2 or 3 spots in the forward group. Sandin is the only one on the team that fits your criteria of being blocked by veterans.

You don't think a player like Anderson who has been in the AHL for 4 yrs and is 24yrs old in a make or break season is gonna be hungry for a spot in camp to beat out the likes of Gaudette, Malgin etc? For example.

The Leafs are over the cap which means that Kerfoot is the most likely guy to get traded. That opens up a spot at 2LW. You don't think a guy like Robertson or Malgin is hungry for that spot and a chance to play with a combo of Tavares and Nylander/Marner? I think the 3rd line is a lock to be Engvall - Kampf - Jarnkrok.

The only player I think is likely a lock on the 4th is NAK. Other than that all of:

Gaudette
Malgin
Robertson
ZAR
Steeves
Holmberg
Anderson
Simmonds
Clifford

Simmonds and Clifford look to be done. None of those guys on that list are locks and are either gonna be Leafs, Marlies or waiver claims. Again, healthy competition for likely 2 or 3 spots in the forward group. Sandin is the only one on the team that fits your criteria of being blocked by veterans.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

Gaudette
Malgin
Robertson
ZAR
Steeves
Holmberg
Anderson
Simmonds
Clifford

Gaudette
Malgin
Robertson
ZAR
Steeves
Holmberg
Anderson
Simmonds
Clifford

I think they're probably hungry, yes.

I think Kerfoot gets the 2nd line LW job.

I think NAK and ZAR (pto, my arse) are locks for the 4th line.

And then I think that there's a mad scramble for one spot on the 4th line to be won (initially) by Clifford or Abruzzese.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Hey man.... please take time to read, and think before posting.

Let me help you out...

We traded two first round picks to move players right? You understand this right?

First was Marleau... that's why I posted the number 1... it was the first pick traded... agreed? Who signed Marleau? ya... ok, try and think this stuff out next time, before jumping to the attack.
Dubie's weak that why it cost him a 1st to dump Marleau and it was his own mishandling of the cap which was the reason he had to dump him in the first place

funny how you praise Dubas for having to spend assets to dump Ritchie/Mzarek yet are still upset at Lou even though he left us multiple team friendly/value deals in Brown/Kadri/Hyman/Rielly/Andy and i can guarantee LL wouldn't have paid a first to get rid of Marleau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad