Confirmed with Link: TOR sign F Zach Aston-Reese to a PTO

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
This PTO is significant and a small window into the coming weeks.

Dubas will be forced to move on from players like Kerfoot and Holl to go with cheaper players.

He has a few (not just ZAR) waiting in the wings.

Rielly's new deal will no doubt squeeze some players right out of town...

kb

Aug 28, 2009
As a reminder this thread is about Zach Aston Reese.
[MOD]

I think that a C like a Johan Larsson type would have been a nice fit between NAK and ZAR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Ritchie. Former Dubas client Clifford essentially taking himself out the playoffs in the 1st period of game 1. And we were told that our departing Soo alum goalie was the reason why the team didn't win in past 2 playoffs.
Who are you told that by? Many people have said that Campbell is a good goalie who had a below par year. He has backstopped the Leafs a a playoff round win, but I don't think anyone says he is the sole reason. It was the 5 year commitment that the Leafs did not want to make.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
The same way their new teams acquired Kuemper, Campbell, Husso, etc.
You really think Jack at 5x5 was a good risk? Sure its only money if we sign him but still risk of him being the injured goalie that has mental breakdowns vs the Jack that we saw in November. Husso cost us a pick plus cap and has played 57 NHL games and was 2-5 with a .890 sv% and 3.67gaa (IS is 1-6 with better sv% and GAA and two years younger) and Kuemper was rumoured to Wash from the time the season ended.
Husso/Campbell/Samsonov and Murray all come with a form of risk and most Leaf fans feel we have taken on the most of the other teams that signed goalie this off season. All I know is that the Leafs need a goalie that can make it through the mental grind that is the NHL playoffs did the make the right decisions only time will tell but getting two goalies that we are only really tied to for this season and two extra lotto tickets. KD will be gone if it fails and Murray can be moved by the new GM and we can walk away from IS like the Caps did. I did not like any of the options this offseason as a long term investment and im fine with what we have as it has just as many question marks as we had with JC and would of had with Husso

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This PTO is significant and a small window into the coming weeks.

Dubas will be forced to move on from players like Kerfoot and Holl to go with cheaper players.

He has a few (not just ZAR) waiting in the wings.

Rielly's new deal will no doubt squeeze some players right out of town...

Pretty much everything is false.. but ok.

Being on this board is a much nicer experience when you put him on ignore.

I know it is for me.

I get it... I stopped using the ignore function, good or bad, if you block too many people, the discussion gets choppy.

Reactions: stickty111

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Pretty much everything is false.. but ok.

I get it... I stopped using the ignore function, good or bad, if you block too many people, the discussion gets choppy.
Not at all. It's the inevitable. 3 x 11 million forwards, 1 x 7 million forward, and now 1 D at 7.5 million. How else KD going to do things going forward? He's counting pennies at this point.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not at all. It's the inevitable. 3 x 11 million forwards, 1 x 7 million forward, and now 1 D at 7.5 million. How else KD going to do things going forward? He's counting pennies at this point.

When you don't understand numbers, I guess that's what happens.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Got to say, those hits totals are crazy high. That's energy forward levels. That's "I'm-willing-to-do-whatever-it-takes-to-stay-in-the-NHL" levels of body contact.

Reactions: ToneDog

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You really think Jack at 5x5 was a good risk? Sure its only money if we sign him but still risk of him being the injured goalie that has mental breakdowns vs the Jack that we saw in November. Husso cost us a pick plus cap and has played 57 NHL games and was 2-5 with a .890 sv% and 3.67gaa (IS is 1-6 with better sv% and GAA and two years younger) and Kuemper was rumoured to Wash from the time the season ended.
Husso/Campbell/Samsonov and Murray all come with a form of risk and most Leaf fans feel we have taken on the most of the other teams that signed goalie this off season. All I know is that the Leafs need a goalie that can make it through the mental grind that is the NHL playoffs did the make the right decisions only time will tell but getting two goalies that we are only really tied to for this season and two extra lotto tickets. KD will be gone if it fails and Murray can be moved by the new GM and we can walk away from IS like the Caps did. I did not like any of the options this offseason as a long term investment and im fine with what we have as it has just as many question marks as we had with JC and would of had with Husso

I'm fine with the choice not to sign him. But they could have. Cap wasn't wn issue.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
When you don't understand numbers, I guess that's what happens.
You are entitled to that opinion, but don't ever accuse me of not understanding what results are. The goal for Dubas is to get his team to the Stanley Cup and not be on thin ice.

I know that people just plain like Dubas. They enjoy his personality and his methods. That's ok. You can't help who you favour.

You'll never convince me that he's doing well here. A 115 point regular season does not give many of us confidence that this team is close to its' ultimate goal. Many Leaf fans don't feel this team is close and Kyle continues to mortgage the future in a way that Fletcher (interim Fletcher), JFJ, and Burke did.

If I were to choose the long term success of the Leafs (winning in the playoffs), vs. Kyle Dubas. I would choose the former. Sorry.

Reactions: ToneDog

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Dubas has more cap than any GM in the next 2 years. That's because he stays away from paying guys like Mikheyev 4.75 per..

Assuming a level cap he's got about $15M to sign/acquire/promote 10 to 11 players for the 2023-24 season. That includes 4 top 9 forwards, 2 defensemen and a goalie. There's nothing particularly advantageous about the team's cap situation.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

KyleDubasBoyGenius

Sep 13, 2022
Assuming a level cap he's got about $15M to sign/acquire/promote 10 to 11 players for the 2023-24 season. That includes 4 top 9 forwards, 2 defensemen and a goalie. There's nothing particularly advantageous about the team's cap situation.
We hear this stuff every year and it works out fine. In 2 summers he's loaded with cap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad