Proposal: Tor-Sea. Tor - Ott

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Remember Tor needs the selling team to eat salary.. You aren't going to get that Salary retention with only a 2nd round pick. If tor doesn't want to give up a first then give us a first round prospect instead.
Seattle will retain the salary or maybe Arizona does for a 2nd next year

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
And the going price for rention for the most part is a first round pick or probably a equivalent prospect. BUt good lord leaf fans do not get it, if the leafs want to make a deep playoff run and want improvements to do that then its going to cost them. If they don't want to do that and they get bounced again that's on the GM and the leafs managements needs to consider getting a new GM.
Hes not an impact player anymore, and he won't help the leafs enough to justify the cost. Peddle him elsewhere.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
And the going price for rention for the most part is a first round pick or probably a equivalent prospect. BUt good lord leaf fans do not get it, if the leafs want to make a deep playoff run and want improvements to do that then its going to cost them. If they don't want to do that and they get bounced again that's on the GM and the leafs managements needs to consider getting a new GM.
What I don't understand is when fans lowball players because they 'dont want them' but will take them for something small. Well, if you don't want them don't make an offer. Just say you are not interested in the player because of the fit/age/cap whatever. I get if the GM's actually do that because that is part of negotiating but doing it as a fan, it just makes no sense. It's not like we are influencing the value of a trade.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If I had to bet on what this trade will look like - Dermott + 2nd for Gio - we'll see Monday if I'm right

Dermott will surprise Seattle fans - I think all he needs is a change of scenery to showcase top 4 potential

We don't need a NHL playing coming back we need picks/prospect

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
He won't upgrade the back end enough. Hes been a monster his whole career but he isn't a difference maker anymore. Leafs need to stop wasting assets on over the hill bandaids.
Leafs are 5th overall with the d they have and 3 weeks of no goaltending. Should be 1st overall . Add Giordano and they don’t get better? Just his presence makes the back end play better .

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Not nearly enough, given how almost every other trade has gone in the last week.

Just because Friedman reiterated Dubas doesn't want to include anything of value (no first, no top prospects) doesn't mean other teams will just hand over what Toronto wants for less than market value.

Hagel and two fourths got two firsts and two young bottom six forwards.
Lindholm got a first, two seconds, a prospect and a roster player.
Giroux got a first, a third and Tippett.
Toffoli got a first, a fourth, a prospect and roster player.
Chiarot got a first, a fourth and a prospect.

Jost got Sturm, and Sturm's a better asset then a second round pick.
Jarnkrok got a second and a third.
Manson got a second and prospect.
Lybushkin and cap dump got second and a youngish cap dump.
Vatrano and Deslauriers got less.

Paul will get more, based on what other players (in the second tier) got. Giordano is worth more than Chiarot, but if you're determined to argue, Gio is worth closer to Chiarot in value than Jarnkrok, which is the closest value to what's offered. If Toronto or Dubas don't want to put up the assets needed, someone will.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
What I don't understand is when fans lowball players because they 'dont want them' but will take them for something small. Well, if you don't want them don't make an offer. Just say you are not interested in the player because of the fit/age/cap whatever. I get if the GM's actually do that because that is part of negotiating but doing it as a fan, it just makes no sense. It's not like we are influencing the value of a trade.
Isn't that what I've been saying this whole thread. Its implied I would assume when I said keep him or trade him elsewhere.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Hes not an impact player anymore, and he won't help the leafs enough to justify the cost. Peddle him elsewhere.
LOL. Yep. I will stop calling Dubas and call other GM's. How do you actually think trades work? Its generally the teams interested in buying that player that will be contacting Francis. Not the other way around.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Again leafs have to do something even if that's not trading for gio but you aren't going to get much that will make a difference if the leafs aren't willing to pay for it. How serious do you want the leafs to make a deep playoff run? They aren't going to do that with the roster they have now.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Not nearly enough, given how almost every other trade has gone in the last week.

Just because Friedman reiterated Dubas doesn't want to include anything of value (no first, no top prospects) doesn't mean other teams will just hand over what Toronto wants for less than market value.

Paul will get more, based on what other players (in the second tier) got. Giordano is worth more than Chiarot, but if you're determined to argue, Gio is worth closer to Chiarot in value than Jarnkrok, which is the closest value to what's offered. If Toronto or Dubas don't want to put up the assets needed, someone will.
Hope Seattle gets what they want just not from Toronto. If Toronto is putting up a 1st might as well add another really good piece and go after Mayfield who is vastly superior at this point.

Reactions: cup67

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
LOL. Yep. I will stop calling Dubas and call other GM's. How do you actually think trades work? Its generally the teams interested in buying that player that will be contacting Francis. Not the other way around.
How about players calling players

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Thanks for this post.

I genuinely do NOT believe we get what Chiarot got. The GM's seem to have a .. err ... unhealthy interest in physicality and Chiarot received it on the basis of that. My hope is that Gio gets something like 1st + B-prospect but I would not be shocked if he ends up getting 2 x 2nd + B-prospect.

Its very strange to see people telling us that we are going to get a 3rd ... and thats it. Even at 50% retention.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Again leafs have to do something even if that's not trading for gio but you aren't going to get much that will make a difference if the leafs aren't willing to pay for it. How serious do you want the leafs to make a deep playoff run? They aren't going to do that with the roster they have now.
A player like Mayfield would make a huge difference and I'd be fine with Toronto even overpaying for him. Gio does nothing to help the leafs get by Tampa.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
5th overall , with no goalie , should be in 1st overall if they had a goalie . Right? So the team is there .

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What you got was a player that has earned his time in the NHL to play where he wants to finish his career. The GM knows all about that

Again he has a m-NTC not a NMC. We can trade him to 19 teams. So who ever wants a Dman that hasn't acquired one already and is willing to pay at least a first and we'll eat 50% of the salary. We'll take that offer. Seattle would be stupid to take anything less than at least first at this point.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
I do not think that is how trade conversations are initiated but no point in talking here because either Leafs fans have no interest in Gio OR they truly don't realize what he brings to the table despite his age.
He wants to come back to Toronto, you know his family History? There is a reason he wants to come back .

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I can respect a reply like that. Gio is not a fit or worth his value in a trade to the Leafs. So just not a good trade partner maybe.
In my opinion anyway, I dont speak for all Leaf fans and I certainly have no clue how management feels about him. I just won't be happy if he's our target considering Tampa is 99% our first round opponent.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
He wants to come back to Toronto, you know his family History? There is a reason he wants to come back .

Yes but if some other team is offering a first for gio the team would be stupid to say no and take a way way lesser offer for him... Leafs still have a huge big problem their defense is decent their goalie is trash. But i'm sure their GM is okay by doing nothing and the ownership group is okay with ANOTHER early bounce from the playoffs cause their GM did nothing.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
What you got was a player that has earned his time in the NHL to play where he wants to finish his career. The GM knows all about that
You do realize that Francis realizes the first season did not go to plan. He is trying to fix things by moving assets out. That was never the plan. If he chooses to sell low on Gio or not take the best option because of emotional reasons for a player who has been here for less than a season, it will be his head on the line next. When a team like Calgary can expose their captain and a player who played there all his life in the expansion draft, why should Francis bend over backwards?

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Again he has a m-NTC not a NMC. We can trade him to 19 teams. So who ever wants a Dman that hasn't acquired one already and is willing to pay at least a first and we'll eat 50% of the salary. We'll take that offer. Seattle would be stupid to take anything less than at least first at this point.
Again you have a GM that played hockey was respected and will respect players wishes , if they earned it . Giordano will be in the NHL hall of fame

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Yes but if some other team is offering a first for gio the team would be stupid to say no and take a way way lesser offer for him...
No team offered a 1st or they would of jumped all over it . Teams that offered 1st already gave it up .

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
You do realize that Francis realizes the first season did not go to plan. He is trying to fix things by moving assets out. That was never the plan. If he chooses to sell low on Gio or not take the best option because of emotional reasons for a player who has been here for less than a season, it will be his head on the line next. When a team like Calgary can expose their captain and a player who played there all his life in the expansion draft, why should Francis bend over backwards?
Francis taking less as a favour to a player is a pipe dream. I agree 100 % with this.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad