Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
At least with the Korshkov trade they were able to rent an actual NHL player for a good portion of the season. Galchenyuk's performance swayed my opinion of that move. The other two moves were duds from the moment the deal went through.

The other 2 moves meant nothing then, and mean nothing

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
waivers prevent GMs from hoarding players forever so Dubas isn't being too nice he just keeps making poor trades and rival GM's know if they dangle a smurf in front of him he gets the sweats and can't resist

waivers dont do much if you never bring the player up

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
You have to waive them every year after there elc’s expire to send them down .
thats still a one time thing at the start of the season for all teams and all players when most teams dont have any room, so, tons of players get sent down, and never recalled because later in the season they will get plucked

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
thats still a one time thing at the start of the season for all teams and all players when most teams dont have any room, so, tons of players get sent down, and never recalled because later in the season they will get plucked
If the player is any good he’ll get taken which happens every year and it makes absolutely no sense to have a player who can help you but not call them up because if there not good enough you have to waive them again and someone might take a the player you have no use for .

Last edited:

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Can't wait for those epic Dubas' celebratory fist pumps when Malgin scores that key goal in a crucial March game ....

for the Zürcher Schlittschuh Club Lions???

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Back to back GM of the year, voted by his peers who have far more insight into his work than you or I.

Why do you think his peers voted him the best this and last year?
Cool. How does this erase all those L's on his resume though? That GM of the year was carried by Trotz handling the Isles.

Edit- Hmm I guess winning the Trotz sweepstakes is significant enough to win GM of the year. I'll meet you halfway there.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I think back-to-back conference finals with a franchise that had been spinning it’s wheels for 30+ years prior to his arrival more than speaks for itself.

It certainly does. If Dubas had won even a round, this same group of people would be talking about how amazing of a job he’s done with this club. They already think he’s amazing because we do good in the regular season.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
He's been to the conference finals twice in a row with a roster that has a quarter of the talent that ours has. It's nothing short of exceptional what he has done there. Only GM to win GM of the year award twice, and back to back to boot. You don't get to talk about Sweet Lou.

And that’s after losing their franchise player. Remarkable what they’ve accomplished these past few years.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
It certainly does. If Dubas had won even a round, this same group of people would be talking about how amazing of a job he’s done with this club. They already think he’s amazing because we do good in the regular season.
True they would, but on the flip side your group would be all over Dubas if we had no 1st and 2nd in 2020 and no 1st in 2021 for a washed up Zajac, over achieving Pageau and low end top 6 winger in Palmieri. Then lose Devon Toews because we needed to balance the third line.

Lou inherited more than half his team then mortgages the future on guys who will have marginal impact when it comes to winning a cup. The GM after him will be in a tough spot if this group can't get the job done. It's only down from here for the Islanders which would have been fine if they had a cup to show for it.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
True they would, but on the flip side your group would be all over Dubas if we had no 1st and 2nd in 2020 and no 1st in 2021 for a washed up Zajac, over achieving Pageau and low end top 6 winger in Palmieri. Then lose Devon Toews because we needed to balance the third line.

Lou inherited more than half his team then mortgages the future on guys who will have marginal impact when it comes to winning a cup. The GM after him will be in a tough spot if this group can't get the job done. It's only down from here for the Islanders which would have been fine if they had a cup to show for it.

Not me. I would be happy with seeing any form of progress in the playoffs. I would be ecstatic if got anywhere close to a Game 7 ECF appearance. You want to talk about trading futures, we just dumped a 1st for a washed up Foligno who doesn’t even play for us anymore. At least they still have Palmieri and Zajac. I like how you dismiss Pageau by saying he’s overachieving though. So I guess playing well = luck?

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Not me. I would be happy with seeing any form of progress in the playoffs. I would be ecstatic if got anywhere close to a Game 7 ECF appearance. You want to talk about trading futures, we just dumped a 1st for a washed up Foligno who doesn’t even play for us anymore. At least they still have Palmieri and Zajac. I like how you dismiss Pageau by saying he’s overachieving though. So I guess playing well = luck?
Yes and everyone on this board is upset about that Foligno trade and wish it never happened. But it's perfectly fine for other teams to lose all their picks right? They won two rounds so it's fine.

Islanders are not in a position to do trades like this for guys like Pageau and Palmieri. They are a well oiled machine top to bottom but lack high end skill all the past cup winners have. Kill off the supply of soldiers coming in that Trotz has done magic with and they're finished. Lou will ensure their expiry date comes soon.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Yes and everyone on this board is upset about that Foligno trade and wish it never happened. But it's perfectly fine for other teams to lose all their picks right? They won two rounds so it's fine.

Islanders are not in a position to do trades like this for guys like Pageau and Palmieri. They are a well oiled machine top to bottom but lack high end skill all the past cup winners have. Kill off the supply of soldiers coming in that Trotz has done magic with and they're finished. Lou will ensure their expiry date comes soon.

Yes, if they lose picks for players that contribute to playoff success it’s OK. Isn’t that the whole point? To try to win? No team had the high end skill to beat Tampa for 2 straight years now but they’ve come the closest. They only lost Game 7 1-0 and that’s because Vasilevskiy played like the HoF goalie he’s destined to be. How can you pretend that’s not something worth trading picks for. By your logic, it’s only OK to trade picks if your team wins a Cup, otherwise it’s a waste.

And I disagree with you about the last part of your post. There’s something to be said about building a winning culture. I doubt they just suddenly start to suck. Everyone thought that’s what would happen when they lost JT.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Yes, if they lose picks for players that contribute to playoff success it’s OK. Isn’t that the whole point? To try to win? No team had the high end skill to beat Tampa for 2 straight years now but they’ve come the closest. They only lost Game 7 1-0 and that’s because Vasilevskiy played like the HoF goalie he’s destined to be. How can you pretend that’s not something worth trading picks for. By your logic, it’s only OK to trade picks if your team wins a Cup, otherwise it’s a waste.

And I disagree with you about the last part of your post. There’s something to be said about building a winning culture. I doubt they just suddenly start to suck. Everyone thought that’s what would happen when they lost JT.

Al we can do at this point is wait and see then. I don't see the Islanders being relevant for much longer. They need to keep baking high end prospects which so far won't happen until they get rid of Lou.

I'm not really interested in building a team whose ceiling is conference finals. They're ahead of us right now because of all our losses but I refuse to take a shallow view of things just because I'm desperate to win a round.

Also my post isn't really about Leafs versus Isles. Just the future outlook of the Isles under Lou. The only relevance to Leafs was the fan bickering part.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Nobody seems to realize that the Isles are a very old team.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Cool. How does this erase all those L's on his resume though? That GM of the year was carried by Trotz handling the Isles.

Edit- Hmm I guess winning the Trotz sweepstakes is significant enough to win GM of the year. I'll meet you halfway there.
It doesn't erase anything. Those with perspective evaluate big picture with the understanding that he makes thousands of decisions that result in both action and inaction and nobody can be perfect. The measure of overall body of work based on their interpretation coupled with the teams actual success (playoffs, not obscure advances stats) are all they really have to go on.

I find the loser attitude on this forum precious; those who have success are lucky and those who fail are unlucky. :laugh: Yep, thats it.

Trotz went to NY because of Lamoriello. He's said so on many occasions. Despite you and others attempting to tell lies and misrepresent, the truth has come straight from the horses mouth. There was no luck in being chosen by Trotz.

Edit - starts around 5:10, because this is too good, all the sad sacks with "winning is luck" should hear.

'Lou understands the intrinsic value of a player" - Do you think Trotz could be the biggest factor in the Isles success as you've alluded to yet still have no idea what he's talking about?

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Ahhh the Dubas phase when he was determined to find a small skilled diamond in the rough.... see Malgin trade and Petan trade. The Panthers gm really is looking like a genius with all his finds, Duclair, Verhaeghe, Marchment, Bennett, Lundell (pick)... the Reinhart trade. Jeez. I like what he has done, he's bought very low on all his players. Meanwhile Dubas keeps unloading all his assets, trying to win now, he's depleted this team pretty swiftly...and he was way premature on winning now, which is very evident.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
He didn't look good at all when he suited up for us, but then again, he was given what, 2 games? Meanwhile a guy like Simmonds can look bad for a full year and be re-signed and trotted out there every night
Power forwards always take longer to develop. Dubas just couldn’t resist another player who can’t go on all the rides at Disneyland

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I could not care less about this trade.
Marchment is just an ok player.
Maybe we didn’t extract full value for him taking malgin back, but I think it’s pretty clear he wasn’t in our plans here, and they did right by him moving him. I have no issues with that or how things things have turned out. I’m not interested in what ifs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad