Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We traded a penny stock for another penny stock. Now the one we traded away is worth 2 pennies and our new one is worth nothing. Let's judge the performance of our portfolio manager based on this incredibly important transaction.

It was totally worth necroing this thread.

Feels like Florida getting the Leafs back for Hyman for McKegg.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
your argument doesn’t convince me. He’s done a good job, but I don’t think there’s anything exceptional about it.

they play suffocating defensive hockey. That is a product of their coach’s systems more than it is personnel moves

You seem to forget that the only reason why Trotz even entertained going to the Island was because Lou was there.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
The issue people have with Lou winning it was what did he do spcecifaccly to improve that roster to warrant being GM of the year? His roster is almost the same as it was when he got there other than promotion of a few guys who were already in the system. I can understand him winning the first one seeing as they went from being a bottom 5 team to conference finalist but the second time around, what did he do? Bergevin for comparison brought in Toffoli, Perry, Anderson, Edmondson and Allen and exceeded expectations both in the season and playoffs. Bergevin should have been fired a long time ago but he actually deserved to win the award over Lou.

He brought in Palmieri and Pageau who were great for them in the playoffs, Greene was also steady too, and he signed Varly to share the net with Sorokin. He’s an elite GM and the crown jewel of the NHL. His resume speaks for itself. The culture he brings is elite as well and a big part of why the Islanders are now a successful hockey team.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Feels like Florida getting the Leafs back for Hyman for McKegg.
Hyman is actually a good player so no, it feels nothing like that.

Marchment won't get to play with Barkov and Huberdeau with Reinhart and Bennett added to the fold. Even then he kind of sucked.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Neither player was going to be a difference maker in a game, let alone a series.

Both meh players in an inconsequential trade.

When we are talking about guys like this again, it means we desperately need something else to talk about.

Reactions: Cams

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You seem to forget that the only reason why Trotz even entertained going to the Island was because Lou was there.

1) there’s no way to quantify that
2) Lou gets credit for bringing in Trotz. But, only within the year he signed, not both.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Most disturbing thing about this transaction wasn't that Marchment is some elite power forward it's that Marchment was clearly progressing towards NHL time when he got booted for a type of redundant talent. Marchment was moved out of town because Marchment wasn't the current GM's project. This GM has a maddening level of tunnel vision.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
What's weird is that Marchment playing on a top line is clear evidence of a team weakness - yet people still consider Florida to be stacked.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What's weird is that Marchment playing on a top line is clear evidence of a team weakness - yet people still consider Florida to be stacked.

That is weird.

Would that be similarly weird to have 26 year old Michael Bunting with 14 career NHL points in 26 NHL game being considered for top 6 duty on the Leafs or is that clear evidence of a team weakness also?

26 year old Mason Marchment has 11 points in 37 career NHL games, but points aren't the only reason he is dressed.

What would be even weirder still would be to have Denis Malgin the player he was traded for play in Leafs top 6.

Last edited:

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Obvious loss, but it's an inconsequential trade.

Leivo, Korshkov, and Marchment trades have all been poor moves but they are depth trades at best. Odd considering the org severely lacks these types to round out the bottom six, yet Dubas doubles down on misfit skill adds like Malgin, Carcone, Galchenyuk, etc.

If that's the route he wants to go, i'd rather it be purely for picks.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That is weird.

Would that be similarly weird to have 26 year old Michael Bunting with 14 career NHL points in 26 NHL game being considered for top 6 duty on the Leafs or is that clear evidence of a team weakness also?

26 year old Mason Marchement has 11 points in 37 career NHL games, but points aren't the only reason he is dressed.

What would be even weirder still would be to have Denis Malgin the player he was traded for play in Leafs top 6.

Yeah I would say actually having Mason Marchment and Carter Verhaeghe as your top line wingers for a "stacked" team in actual reality is definitely weirder than the theoretical possibility of a Bunting maybe being in contention for a top-6 spot is, myself.

wouldn't you?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If you've been around long enough you know sometimes players are moved for the player's sake.

And players playing top line ... like Semenko? Playing on the top line can often be about fit not skill level, especially if you already have two all-stars on that line.

Reactions: Menzinger

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
the trade was made to give Marchment a chance to play someplace, as simple as that ...Dubas is too 'nice' to his players in that way, while some GM's just hoard their players, and ruin their careers and opportunities by keeping them in the minors forever.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Most disturbing thing about this transaction wasn't that Marchment is some elite power forward it's that Marchment was clearly progressing towards NHL time when he got booted for a type of redundant talent. Marchment was moved out of town because Marchment wasn't the current GM's project. This GM has a maddening level of tunnel vision.

I agree. It's like a guy with 20 yellow widgets and 2 blue ones...so what does he do?...he trades one of the blue ones for another yellow one...nonsense.

These type of deals seemed to submarine our long term future of building a real balanced team. At least this summer and last summer he is showing that he is realizing you can't just go get Petan after Petan and expect a lottery win. Getting Richie and Bunting were good moves.

Reactions: justashadowof

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
the trade was made to give Marchment a chance to play someplace, as simple as that ...Dubas is too 'nice' to his players in that way, while some GM's just hoard their players, and ruin their careers and opportunities by keeping them in the minors forever.
waivers prevent GMs from hoarding players forever so Dubas isn't being too nice he just keeps making poor trades and rival GM's know if they dangle a smurf in front of him he gets the sweats and can't resist

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
The only relevant thing about Malgin signing with Zurich is the fact that we now need some better AHL/forward depth.

Guys like Malgin and Petan provided NHL capable depth if we needed someone without interrupting a prospect like Robertson. Maybe the team is happy if prospects get a few games in. So that's fine. But I liked having players like Malgin and Petan in the AHL.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The only relevant thing about Malgin signing with Zurich is the fact that we now need some better AHL/forward depth.

Guys like Malgin and Petan provided NHL capable depth if we needed someone without interrupting a prospect like Robertson. Maybe the team is happy if prospects get a few games in. So that's fine. But I liked having players like Malgin and Petan in the AHL.

Malgin spent all year in europe last year already, not in the AHL.

And Amadio probably an upgrade on Petan.

And of course we really want to be giving chances to Robertson and Anderson this year.

Reactions: Kurtz

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
He brought in Palmieri and Pageau who were great for them in the playoffs, Greene was also steady too, and he signed Varly to share the net with Sorokin. He’s an elite GM and the crown jewel of the NHL. His resume speaks for itself. The culture he brings is elite as well and a big part of why the Islanders are now a successful hockey team.
Pageau, Greene, and Varlamov were all brought in the previous season. Varlamov was already there before Sorokin. Varlamov shared the net with Griess after Lehner was shipped out. The question was what did Lou do this year to warrant getting GM of the year over others like Bergevin who changed quite a bit?

Adding Palmieri i thought was a great move for them. They already had a good team that went to the conference finals the year prior, so they were expected to be threat in the playoffs again. Just adding Palmieri and Zajac isn't enough for me to give him the award over Bergevin and the Habs who were looking pretty bad before the last offseason with all of their additions. Like I said he deserved it the year before since they went from a bottom feeder to conference finalist but most people were thinking he didnt deserve it this year.

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
Both are fringe players who cares. Josh Leivo was moved for cheap too.. ended up to be an ok player that Babcock hated.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Obvious loss, but it's an inconsequential trade.

Leivo, Korshkov, and Marchment trades have all been poor moves but they are depth trades at best. Odd considering the org severely lacks these types to round out the bottom six, yet Dubas doubles down on misfit skill adds like Malgin, Carcone, Galchenyuk, etc.

If that's the route he wants to go, i'd rather it be purely for picks.
At least with the Korshkov trade they were able to rent an actual NHL player for a good portion of the season. Galchenyuk's performance swayed my opinion of that move. The other two moves were duds from the moment the deal went through.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
At least with the Korshkov trade they were able to rent an actual NHL player for a good portion of the season. Galchenyuk's performance swayed my opinion of that move. The other two moves were duds from the moment the deal went through.

Korshkov also isn't an NHLer and likely never will be.

In retrospect the Leafs got great value for that return given the games played they got from Gally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad