Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't harp on Dubas for this trade.

Both players are lose out because of depth.

Curious that FLA protected him in the E.D.

It was him or Vatrano/Acciari, and I guess they were fine with losing Vatrano's/Acciari's salary vs. a guy making 1/3 or 1/4 of the money. They are a budget team so it is not entirely surprising they are fine with losing pricier bottom 6 guys, even if they are worth their money and are better than Marchment.

Plus they probably knew Driedger was getting taken so it wouldn't really matter.

Reactions: banks and Menzinger

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Yes, but this our board, playoffs are only a small part of the story. How are the Isles zone entries under Lou?

Isles fans laugh that we can’t give the man his due.

its a pretty far cry between not being willing to give him his due and questioning whether he was the best choice for GM of the year though.

I’ve said repeatedly he’s done a good job in Long Island, but I firmly disagree with back to back awards

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
What do we got?

Verhaeghe - Barkov - Reinhart
Huberdeau - Bennett - Tippett
Duke - Lundell/Thornton - Hornqvist
Vatrano -Acciari - Marchment

?
Fixed it: Tippett was a point per game in playoffs. My guess is that Lundell takes the 3C after his killer season but trades off with Thornton. Also possible if Lundell kills it that Marchy, Acciari and Thornton trade off at 4C/4Rw.

Edit: Given that Thornton didn't do the greatest with the Leafs, I also want to mention the following back-up option. If neither AL or JT can handle the role, we'd probably create 3 lines and do
Swaggy-Barky-Duke
Huby-Bennett-Tippet
Vatrano-Reino-Horny
Lomberg-Acciari-Marchment.

I think we'd rather give Barkov Reinhart to see if he can push past 100 points, but that top line was great last season. Denisenko could push for playing time as well, possibly next to Barkov if we want to add speed to the third

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Fixed it: Tippett was a point per game in playoffs. My guess is that Lundell takes the 3C after his killer season but trades off with Thornton. Also possible if Lundell kills it that Marchy, Acciari and Thornton trade off at 4C/4Rw.

Edit: Given that Thornton didn't do the greatest with the Leafs, I also want to mention the following back-up option. If neither AL or JT can handle the role, we'd probably create 3 lines and do
Swaggy-Barky-Duke
Huby-Bennett-Tippet
Vatrano-Reino-Horny

I think we'd rather give Barkov Reinhart to see if he can push past 100 points, but that top line was great last season. Denisenko could push for playing time as well, possibly next to Barkov if we want to add speed to the third

tbh you don’t want Thornton lining up at center or above the 4th line for you.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
tbh you don’t want Thornton lining up at center or above the 4th line for you.
I don't think he'd be an everyday 3C; I think the likeliest outcome is that he fills in when Lundell shouldn't be playing. As an outside fan, it seemed that Thornton couldn't keep up every day with the Leafs.

Last year, we had to play Luo at 3C even when it was clear he needed days off to adjust to the speed of the game; I imagine the same will be true with Lundell. A lot of fun options though! I'm curious how a Marchment-Thornton-Acciari fourth line would be to be honest.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Yes, but this our board, playoffs are only a small part of the story. How are the Isles zone entries under Lou?

Isles fans laugh that we can’t give the man his due.

I don't see many people throwing a bunch of praise Brisebois' way and he won back-to-back Cups.

Lou has done a little bit more than Brisebois, and has been praised for the good moves he has made, but like Brisebois, much of the team was put in place by the previous regime (including his entire defense and top 6 forwards) and he has made his fair share of questionable moves as well. Considering he has won back-to-back Jim Gregory awards, I think if anything, he is receiving more praise than he has earned.

Reactions: Kurtz

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Swaggy-Barky-Duke
Huby-Bennett-Tippet
Vatrano-Reino-Horny

for the record, Joe didn't play a single shift at center for us. not even on the 4th line.

Reinhart also hasn't played C for a long while, even though his team badly needed one.

Bennett as well has barely played C.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
its a pretty far cry between not being willing to give him his due and questioning whether he was the best choice for GM of the year though.

I’ve said repeatedly he’s done a good job in Long Island, but I firmly disagree with back to back awards
That’s fair.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The Malgin/Marchment swap was a poor move at the time and remains a poor move in hindsight. With that said, it was a shuffling of the deck chairs move and really has nothing to do with the current roster.

It's weird that it's the same posters clamoring for Marchment that seem to hate that we added Ritchie. Marchment is an incredibly poor mans Ritchie. Marchment hit his career high in goals this past season (2 goals).

Everyone settle down.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
for the record, Joe didn't play a single shift at center for us. not even on the 4th line.

Reinhart also hasn't played C for a long while, even though his team badly needed one.

Bennett as well has barely played C.
I think Reinhart did a good job at center after Eichel went down last season if I recall correctly...

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
He’s done a good job, but firmly disagree on making it out to be more than it is

He's been to the conference finals twice in a row with a roster that has a quarter of the talent that ours has. It's nothing short of exceptional what he has done there. Only GM to win GM of the year award twice, and back to back to boot. You don't get to talk about Sweet Lou.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He's been to the conference finals twice in a row with a roster that has a quarter of the talent that ours has. It's nothing short of exceptional what he has done there. Only GM to win GM of the year award twice, and back to back to boot. You don't get to talk about Sweet Lou.

your argument doesn’t convince me. He’s done a good job, but I don’t think there’s anything exceptional about it.

they play suffocating defensive hockey. That is a product of their coach’s systems more than it is personnel moves

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Here's the Islanders in order of playoffs ice time the last 2yrs. The players Lou added to the team are bolded. Players that are no longer with the team are in italics.

C Barzal (24) 18:55
W Bailey (32) 18:21
W Lee (31) 18:11

C Nelson (30) 18:37
W Beauvilier (24) 18:09
W Eberle 17:37 (lost to SEA)

C Pageau (29) 17:11 (1st + 2nd + 3rd + $5mx6yrs)
W Zajac 15:41 (w/Palmieri for 1st + 4th + Greer + Jobst) (gone as UFA)
W Palmieri (30) 15:35 (w/Zajac for 1st + 4th + Greeg + Jobst + $5mx4yrs)

C Cizikas (30) 13:57
W Wahlstrom (21) 14:33
W Clutterbuck (34) 13:45

C Brassard 12:20 ($1.2mx1yrs) (gone as UFA)
W Komarov (34) 12:47 ($3.0mx4yrs)
W Martin (32) 11:22 ($2.5mx2yrs + $1.5mx4yrs)

D Pulock (27) 22:59
D Pelech (27) 22:51

D Leddy 22:17 (traded for 2nd + Panik)
D Mayfield (29) 21:06

D Toews 20:30 (traded for 2 2nds)
D Greene (39) 17:39 (2nd + Quenneville)

D Dobson (21) 13:52
D Boychuk 10:56 (retired)

G Varlamov (33) 33gs ($5.0mx4yrs)
G Sorokin (26) 5gs
G Greiss 3gs (gone as UFA)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Current Isles Team, Lou adds bolded:

C Barzal 24
W Bailey 32
W Lee 31

C Nelson 30
W Beauviler 24
W Palmieri 30

C Pageau 29
W Clutterbuck 34
W Panik 30

C Cizikas 30
W Komarov 34
W Martin 32

W Wahlstrom 21

D Pulock 27
D Pelech 27

D Mayfield 29
D Greene 39

D Dobson 21
D Aho 26

G Varlamov 33
G Sorokin 26

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Mason Marchment played on Florida's top line with Barkov and scored more playoff goals (2) then Matthews and Marner combined last playoff season.

True fact.

Mason Marchment played on Florida's top line with Barkov and was only able to get half as many playoff points as Marner, which is extra embarrassing because everyone is saying Marner is terrible after his performance, I can only imagine what people think of Marchment.

Marchment also doubled Hyman's production who seems, so glad we got rid of that scrub.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Mason Marchment played on Florida's top line with Barkov and was only able to get half as many playoff points as Marner, which is extra embarrassing because everyone is saying Marner is terrible after his performance, I can only imagine what people think of Marchment.

Marchment also doubled Hyman's production who seems, so glad we got rid of that scrub.
The extra 10 million dollars should help soften the blow.

I'm sure there's a pair of $5mil forwards that could bridge the gap of a couple of points.

Reactions: egd27

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
The issue people have with Lou winning it was what did he do spcecifaccly to improve that roster to warrant being GM of the year? His roster is almost the same as it was when he got there other than promotion of a few guys who were already in the system. I can understand him winning the first one seeing as they went from being a bottom 5 team to conference finalist but the second time around, what did he do? Bergevin for comparison brought in Toffoli, Perry, Anderson, Edmondson and Allen and exceeded expectations both in the season and playoffs. Bergevin should have been fired a long time ago but he actually deserved to win the award over Lou.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
We traded a penny stock for another penny stock. Now the one we traded away is worth 2 pennies and our new one is worth nothing. Let's judge the performance of our portfolio manager based on this incredibly important transaction.

It was totally worth necroing this thread.

Reactions: Fogelhund and Kurtz

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
TO keeps Malgin’s rights as an RFA I assume?
Another good year, and he replaces Kase or Mikheyev.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Mason Marchment >>> Kurtis Gabriel

I'd be shocked if Malgin plays a regular season game for the Leafs.

Gabriel is a 4th line AHLer and he should be anywhere near the Leafs' lineup. Does not mean Marchment should be in the Leafs lineup either.

We have a lot of guys better than both, and even Malgin was better than Marchment's Toronto stint when he was here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad