Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
“Lou understands the intrinsic value of a player.” - Barry Trotz

There’s an art to assembling a group that can effectively play together, compliment, and even elevate eachother. Lamoriello is exceptional at this and it’s great to see him get his flowers for it.

He’s done a remarkable job in NY.

He’s done a good job, but firmly disagree on making it out to be more than it is

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
realistically it probably comes down to what was said earlier, I can’t recall who. They likely didn’t believe in marchment as a future part of this team and moved him to give him opportunity elsewhere.
So they did him and Florida a favour? Hmm. That’s an interesting approach with a divisional opponent.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think back-to-back conference finals with a franchise that had been spinning it’s wheels for 30+ years prior to his arrival more than speaks for itself.

And you’re obviously welcome to your opinion

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So they did him and Florida a favour? Hmm. That’s an interesting approach with a divisional opponent.

1.) that is common teams do this all the time. If you hold on to players and block them. FA don’t sign with you. That’s why every KHL player we have that doesn’t work out gets trained.

2.) Does anybody really care about marchment? The guy has 2 goals and is 26. We have like 20 better forwards.

It’s like fans expect that there are only 20 good forwards in the entire league. And your team can collect them all.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marchment also has a grand total of 13 career NHL points after adding production from games played over two regular seasons and a playoffs. I will never understand the handwringing over a guy like this.

He wouldn't have made the Leafs roster last season, and he wouldnt make it this season either.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
And you’re obviously welcome to your opinion
Indeed… Do you think you have a better perspective on the work he’s done than his peers?

Getting voted once can happen under fortunate coincidence.. having it happen twice, there might be something there you’re missing, no?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Indeed… Do you think you have a better perspective on the work he’s done than his peers?

Getting voted once can happen under fortunate coincidence.. having it happen twice, there might be something there you’re missing, no?

Many Leaf fans are expecting Dubas to win it, any year now.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I can see what he’s done from the outside looking in, my lack of being an NHL GM does not in any way invalidate my assessment. Much of what these managers do and are scrutinized over are moves that are very public in nature.

And again, I didn’t take issue with him winning at all, though I could argue others. I think back to back wasn’t warranted however

Lastly, the same GMs also voted Bergevin as a finalist, so clearly they aren’t immune to being caught up in the media narratives surrounding certain clubs and managers

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
1.) that is common teams do this all the time. If you hold on to players and block them. FA don’t sign with you. That’s why every KHL player we have that doesn’t work out gets trained.

2.) Does anybody really care about marchment? The guy has 2 goals and is 26. We have like 20 better forwards.

It’s like fans expect that there are only 20 good forwards in the entire league. And your team can collect them all.
Marchment wasn’t a European free agent, though? He was an undrafted, homegrown player who earned his way from the East Coast League.

This isn’t the same as trading Barabanov to San Jose; a move I don’t mind on principle, but don’t like that they moved on from him specifically. I liked his game.

People care to talk about transactions. This is one of them.

There’s thousands of good players in the world. The hard part is assembling the right mix to win games against different styles of opponents in a matchup scenario in the playoffs.

It’s not easy, and made even harder when you don’t place proper value on the players in your system relative to the strengths and weaknesses of your NHL roster.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I can see what he’s done from the outside looking in, my lack of being an NHL GM does not in any way invalidate my assessment. Much of what these managers do and are scrutinized over are moves that are very public in nature.

And again, I didn’t take issue with him winning at all, though I could argue others. I think back to back wasn’t warranted however

Lastly, the same GMs also voted Bergevin as a finalist, so clearly they aren’t immune to being caught up in the media narratives surrounding certain clubs and managers
Bergevin did a good job, though? His group wasn’t flashy, but they were a collection of guys who can star in their role. Great defensive team with great goaltending.

He built a team that needed to get into the playoffs but would be a problem if they got there. Building a group like that with limited talent was pretty impressive. Some of his peers must have agreed.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Florida fan here: Marchy is a good utility player. He was playing on our first line to protect Barkov in the playoffs and showed some skills; he definitely needs to improve on finishing. I have no idea where he plays this season with our top nine depth (either Vatrano or Hornqvist will be a fourth liner) but he is more than a fourth liner. With that in mind, Q likes him

Inthink the trade favored Toronto initially: Malgin had upside he never reached. Sometimes trades go one direction after the fact

Reactions: banks and Stigma

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Bergevin did a good job, though? His group wasn’t flashy, but they were a collection of guys who can star in their role. Great defensive team with great goaltending.

He built a team that needed to get into the playoffs but would be a problem if they got there. Building a group like that with limited talent was pretty impressive. Some of his peers must have agreed.

there was nothing particularly impressive about what bergevin did. He traded domi for Anderson which turned out better than anyone could have expected early on but he was a ghost later. Toffoli also massively overachieved. And yet despite that, as well as many proclamations in the media that they were the best team in the North, they couldn’t find a way to be better than the 18th best team this season. By all rights, they shouldn’t have even been a playoff team.

They are a decent defensive team, definitely not great however, that rode elite goaltending on a hot streak.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

maybe.

or maybe he built a team that has been non-playoffs calibre every year, and last year they got some vintage Price in the playoffs, at least part of the way.

Reactions: Sypher04

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They are a decent defensive team, definitely not great however, that rode elite goaltending on a hot streak.

That "decent defensive team" finished 18th in goals against per game last year, 19th the year before.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That "decent defensive team" finished 18th in goals against per game last year, 19th the year before.

their playoff numbers were better so I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. Though I do believe it was mainly price. Freebie Clutch, grab, hook, cross check and interference help though I guess…

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Probably...but what is Malgin?
Right now it looks like one player will be on the opening night NHL roster, and one will spend the rest of his career in Europe.

A guy stuck on a much deeper depth chart... Which would be no different for Marchment if he was here. Our RW group especially has been very deep and has not suffered too many injuries.

Florida's LW depth chart was very thin, which is why they had to turn to guys with practically no experience in Verhaeghe and Marchment. Fortunately Verhaeghe was a major hit. Marchment was actually not that great outside of his first 10 games, but they had nobody better to use. He likely will not get anywhere near the kind of opportunities he received last year again.

Malgin may be nothing, but if we were looking at Verhaeghe and Marchment at the same age Malgin is right now, we'd be saying they were career AHLers... Because that is all they were at 24.

We still hold Malgin's rights, and I imagine that while he has a 4 year contract in the NLA, he will also have an NHL out-clause like many high end players do. If he continues to build on what he did last year, he could still be an option for us (or in a trade) down the line. Otherwise, we traded a guy stuck behind a bunch of better guys for another guy who ended up stuck behind a bunch of better guys but had a lot more promise and upside.

Reactions: Menzinger

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Marchment is hardly a loss worth lamenting. Players like him, but better, are available every single year in free agency. And very often for cheap
Nothing is ever a loss worth lamenting. I've heard it with 95% of the GMs moves.

They add up though.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
their playoff numbers were better so I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. Though I do believe it was mainly price

No, it was mainly the division. In a normal year, they would have lost in 5 to TB in 1st or 2nd round instead and wouldn’t come close the final.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
No, it was mainly the division. In a normal year, they would have lost in 5 to TB in 1st or 2nd round instead and wouldn’t come close the final.

I just mean the improvement in their defensive numbers from regular season play to playoffs I attribute mostly to price being hot and the putting away of the whistles. And despite that, we still had better defensive numbers than Montreal did when we went head to head

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Florida fan here: Marchy is a good utility player. He was playing on our first line to protect Barkov in the playoffs and showed some skills; he definitely needs to improve on finishing. I have no idea where he plays this season with our top nine depth (either Vatrano or Hornqvist will be a fourth liner) but he is more than a fourth liner. With that in mind, Q likes him

Inthink the trade favored Toronto initially: Malgin had upside he never reached. Sometimes trades go one direction after the fact

What do we got?

Verhaeghe - Barkov - Reinhart
Huberdeau - Bennett - Duclair
Vatrano - Acciari - Hornqvist
Tippett - Luostarinen - Marchment
(Thornton - Lammiko - Lomberg)

?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't harp on Dubas for this trade.

Both players are lose out because of depth.

Curious that FLA protected him in the E.D.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
He isn't good, so who cares. If we're bringing up former Leafs on Florida that are good, let's thank our boy Lou for trading a 1st line player in Verhaeghe as a contract dump.
Traded him 6 years ago and he just made it. That's a reach.

Mason Marchment played on Florida's top line with Barkov and scored more playoff goals (2) then Matthews and Marner combined last playoff season.

True fact.
Irrelevant fact. He also had more goals than Connor McDavid.

Reactions: banks

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think back-to-back conference finals with a franchise that had been spinning it’s wheels for 30+ years prior to his arrival more than speaks for itself.
Yes, but this our board, playoffs are only a small part of the story. How are the Isles zone entries under Lou?

Isles fans laugh that we can’t give the man his due.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad