Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
False, stopped reading right there, tldr the rest.

Just because we're not benefitting from his unlikely season which also happens to be in his contract year while playing for a firewagon team who aims to run up the score every game, doesn't mean it was a bad trade.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Ahhh the Dubas phase when he was determined to find a small skilled diamond in the rough.... see Malgin trade and Petan trade. The Panthers gm really is looking like a genius with all his finds, Duclair, Verhaeghe, Marchment, Bennett, Lundell (pick)... the Reinhart trade. Jeez. I like what he has done, he's bought very low on all his players. Meanwhile Dubas keeps unloading all his assets, trying to win now, he's depleted this team pretty swiftly...and he was way premature on winning now, which is very evident.
I get the frustration, but I'm not how accurate the praise is here. They've found some gems, but also paid heavily for Bob and don't have a pick in the first 2 rounds this year. Last year was the first season they were pacing for playoffs, so it makes sense they haven't loaded up like some 100+ point Leafs teams

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Full credit to Marchment for producing at his current rate without really having the ice time commensurate to that. He unfortunately still has missed over half of his team's season thus far though.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I get the frustration, but I'm not how accurate the praise is here. They've found some gems, but also paid heavily for Bob and don't have a pick in the first 2 rounds this year. Last year was the first season they were pacing for playoffs, so it makes sense they haven't loaded up like some 100+ point Leafs teams
Did the new gm sign Bob?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Crazy that no one out-bid Florida on such an obvious slam dunk superstar.

I bet Florida is salivating at the prospects of re-signing him at the end of this year. I bet he's going to get a healthy bump in his AAV. Also, Tampa had Carter Verhaeghe and turned him into an NHL player and let him walk for nothing. Why are we not talking about that as well? I know they got 2 cups out of it with guys like Patty Maroon on the roster when they could've had Verhaeghe instead! What a foolish organization. It's almost like they valued veteran leadership and cap over keeping a guy who even they probably didn't see breaking out to this level. I'm sure he would've been putting up the same numbers toiling on their 3rd/4th lines too.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's the style of play. We are a team that loves to play a fast game with not too much aggressiveness. The Leafs don't take penalties and blind refs hardly give them many powerplays either. Having guys like Ritchie, Marchment, Martin, Simmonds on the team only helps when you have a team that is built around that gritty physical identity. Under Lou, we had Martin in here primarily to protect the group of young kids on the team who were going to get run by the league because the team as a whole was pretty soft with soft vets. Under Dubas and Keefe, there's really no role for the tough guy if he can't skate up and down the ice and defend/chip in, offensively. Our tough guys are players like Simmonds/Clifford/Ritchie/Muzzin. The real full-timers are Simmonds and Muzzin who both provide much-needed veteran presence and leadership on the team while being very important players. Ritchie was brought in to help augment the play Simmonds offer and add more sandpaper to the team but he takes too many penalties (at the worst times often) and provides not nearly enough in the other aspects of the game. Clifford eats ice time but does a whole lot of nothing but is a good glue guy for the team hence why he's here. In short, our "toughness" comes from players that have a lot more to offer than just that. As a whole, for years now we have had players who are skilled but not soft. They're not going to go out of their way to drop the gloves but at the same time, these Leafs teams have never been intimidated or shied away from a fight even when our big boys were little kids breaking into the league. A massive change from what used to exist in the Bozak, Kessel, JVR, Lupul era where we had designated tough guys on the team but overall we played softly.

Spezza provides veteran leadership and flexibility to Keefe knowing that he can put him out for crucial draws or always have that threat on the PP and count on him to pot the odd goal or make plays on the 4th line. Also, Spezza never complains and is loved by the team. Simmer is much the same in terms of how much the team loves him and as for his offensive production, he's been massively snakebit but he's been a damn good player for us outside of maybe 20 games following his injury last year. He's another one of those guys that you can slot in up and down the lineup and he's going to give you so much more than just his offensive #s. His underlying stats are really good and had he been getting rewarded for his work this year, he's probably got another 5 goals and about 7-8 points. Not too shabby for 2 guys who are making near/at the league minimum.

We need more players like the Spezza's and Simmonds of the NHL and not less. We do however need to stop signing guys like Ritchie who have all the toughness and grit in the world but never use it and his offensive game/hustle provides no value in the bottom 6.

Lastly, my last point on Marchment and Verhaege who are both having stellar years for the Panthers. Panthers play a run and gun game. As nice as their numbers look, they can only outscore their atrocious D for so long. It's going to come crashing down hard at some point. Same goes for the Rangers, who have been mediocre at best as a team but have had Dom Hasek level goaltending from Shesterkin this season. Not teams' I'm looking to emulate.

Florida has had the highest game score all season on average, Leafs have had the 3rd highest and the Leafs have also seen the bottom fall out on the goaltending recently.

The rest I simply disagree with, we don't see it the same.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It's the style of play. We are a team that loves to play a fast game with not too much aggressiveness. The Leafs don't take penalties and blind refs hardly give them many powerplays either. Having guys like Ritchie, Marchment, Martin, Simmonds on the team only helps when you have a team that is built around that gritty physical identity. Under Lou, we had Martin in here primarily to protect the group of young kids on the team who were going to get run by the league because the team as a whole was pretty soft with soft vets. Under Dubas and Keefe, there's really no role for the tough guy if he can't skate up and down the ice and defend/chip in, offensively. Our tough guys are players like Simmonds/Clifford/Ritchie/Muzzin. The real full-timers are Simmonds and Muzzin who both provide much-needed veteran presence and leadership on the team while being very important players. Ritchie was brought in to help augment the play Simmonds offer and add more sandpaper to the team but he takes too many penalties (at the worst times often) and provides not nearly enough in the other aspects of the game. Clifford eats ice time but does a whole lot of nothing but is a good glue guy for the team hence why he's here. In short, our "toughness" comes from players that have a lot more to offer than just that. As a whole, for years now we have had players who are skilled but not soft. They're not going to go out of their way to drop the gloves but at the same time, these Leafs teams have never been intimidated or shied away from a fight even when our big boys were little kids breaking into the league. A massive change from what used to exist in the Bozak, Kessel, JVR, Lupul era where we had designated tough guys on the team but overall we played softly.

Spezza provides veteran leadership and flexibility to Keefe knowing that he can put him out for crucial draws or always have that threat on the PP and count on him to pot the odd goal or make plays on the 4th line. Also, Spezza never complains and is loved by the team. Simmer is much the same in terms of how much the team loves him and as for his offensive production, he's been massively snakebit but he's been a damn good player for us outside of maybe 20 games following his injury last year. He's another one of those guys that you can slot in up and down the lineup and he's going to give you so much more than just his offensive #s. His underlying stats are really good and had he been getting rewarded for his work this year, he's probably got another 5 goals and about 7-8 points. Not too shabby for 2 guys who are making near/at the league minimum.

We need more players like the Spezza's and Simmonds of the NHL and not less. We do however need to stop signing guys like Ritchie who have all the toughness and grit in the world but never use it and his offensive game/hustle provides no value in the bottom 6.

Lastly, my last point on Marchment and Verhaege who are both having stellar years for the Panthers. Panthers play a run and gun game. As nice as their numbers look, they can only outscore their atrocious D for so long. It's going to come crashing down hard at some point. Same goes for the Rangers, who have been mediocre at best as a team but have had Dom Hasek level goaltending from Shesterkin this season. Not teams' I'm looking to emulate.
Only 1 correction .. we don't play a FAST game .. it is a HUGE myth on all these threads .. we have 4/5 really FAST players .. what we do is play a highly skilled puck possession passing game where we don't like to use boards, dump/chase to clear danger scenarios .. this type of GAME is not well suited to an up tempo speed and grind game of NHL playoff hockey where time and space with puck is not gifted like in regular season hockey .. it is same old same old issue for past 5 playoffs .. it is not an easy fix as root problem exists in 4 of 5 of our core players .. until core players decide to play faster and harder on puck we will continue to be 1st round causalities .. only option I see for Dubie to FIX is get another top 4 D man and 1 more bottom pair guy who can play defense .. games can be won 1-0 in playoffs and that is Dubie's best chance otherwisse it will lead to his FIRING

Reactions: nobody and WTFMAN99

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Is this a conversation if he didn't put up 6 pts last night? Wasn't much talk about him and his 3 goals last year.
You might want to check his numbers.
It wasn’t just a one game anomaly. He is better than a point per game this season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Great points

Yeah people think I'm a Dubas hater, I'm not, I have been critical of him and there is lots to be critical of,but there atr a lot of good moves too.

Tavares
Muzzin
Brodie
Bogosian
Bunting
Kase
Kampf
Sandin
Campbell even with his recent play.

It's not all bad, I suspect his job probably depends on playoff results but It's not all bad, far from it.

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
Seems like this was Dubas giving Marchment a chance elsewhere when he couldn't solidify a spot here. This is goodwill and is helpful for attracting sleeper FA talent. Sucks he couldn't do that here but not the end of the world. Personally I was a fan and would have kept him but no one knew he'd break out in this way.

He's a UFA at the end of the year right? Wonder what kind of deal he'll get and if Florida will be able to retain him.

Reactions: aingefan

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
practically nobody was saying it was a bad trade at the time, so ye, can we just stop with the dubas sucks stuff like 2 years later? lol. these things happen on occasion. like mckegg for hyman happened for us, with the exact same team.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
never thought much of Marchement as a prospect and i'm shocked he's producing at the rate he is but i have no idea why Dubas felt the need to trade him for a busted smurf winger without giving him an opportunity here

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Seems like this was Dubas giving Marchment a chance elsewhere when he couldn't solidify a spot here. This is goodwill and is helpful for attracting sleeper FA talent. Sucks he couldn't do that here but not the end of the world. Personally I was a fan and would have kept him but no one knew he'd break out in this way.

He's a UFA at the end of the year right? Wonder what kind of deal he'll get and if Florida will be able to retain him.
Change of scenery for both guys.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
never thought much of Marchement as a prospect and i'm shocked he's producing at the rate he is but i have no idea why Dubas felt the need to trade him for a busted smurf winger without giving him an opportunity here

exactly, he gave him four games.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Some 5th line scrub had a game of his and every scrub's life. Lets not get carried away here, Jesus Christ
the only people getting carried away are Leaf/Dubie homers that need to defend every move the team makes

and i doubt Marchment can keep producing anywhere near the pace he's on but he had more than just 1 good game this season , 21games-8g-15s-23pts

Last edited:
Reactions: axlrose87

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Only 1 correction .. we don't play a FAST game .. it is a HUGE myth on all these threads .. we have 4/5 really FAST players .. what we do is play a highly skilled puck possession passing game where we don't like to use boards, dump/chase to clear danger scenarios .. this type of GAME is not well suited to an up tempo speed and grind game of NHL playoff hockey where time and space with puck is not gifted like in regular season hockey .. it is same old same old issue for past 5 playoffs .. it is not an easy fix as root problem exists in 4 of 5 of our core players .. until core players decide to play faster and harder on puck we will continue to be 1st round causalities .. only option I see for Dubie to FIX is get another top 4 D man and 1 more bottom pair guy who can play defense .. games can be won 1-0 in playoffs and that is Dubie's best chance otherwisse it will lead to his FIRING

You also need different ingredients.

Spezza hasn't been a consistent offensive threat this year, likely because no weak Canadian division and Simmonds doesn't do much of anything. Not a menacing forechecker, doesn't score, doesn't pk.

Guys need to bring an ingredient or you're screwed. They (management) won't do anything because they're good vets/locker room guys but are we trying to be nice or win?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
the only people getting carried away are Leaf/Dubie homers that need to defend every move the team makes

and i doubt Marchment can keep producing anywhere near the pace he's on but he had more than just 1 good game this season , 21games-8g-15s-23pts

Denis f'n Malgin :

2021-224016284420+15
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Only 25. Maybe the book on him as a Leaf is still open (one can hope).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad