Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen for Tyson Barrie (50% retain), Alex Kerfoot trade (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think Barrie was a great add but I bet he struggles at the start of the season.

There is no way he will be getting 64% offensive zone starts at ES like he did last year and the year before.

Hopefully people dont jump on him and are willing to give him time to adjust

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think Barrie was a great add but I bet he struggles at the start of the season.

There is no way he will be getting 64% offensive zone starts at ES like he did last year and the year before.

Hopefully people dont jump on him and are willing to give him time to adjust

Compare Barrie's OZ starts to his DZ starts.

Rielly is likely to get more OZ starts this year than Barrie.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Compare Barrie's OZ starts to his DZ starts.

Rielly is likely to get more OZ starts this year than Barrie.
If that is the case Barrie may sruggle and it wouldnt be really using him to his fullest extent.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
We've heard similar things before about ex Avs player. "ROR the 3rd line center" a Selke and Conn Symthe later...
We're the anti Toronto, in Toronto guys get inflated by the media, in Colorado it's "who?"
In Toronto it works both ways. Players are either overhyped or undervalued. Look at guys like Kessel and Gardiner. Very good players who you'd think were complete trash if you listened to our media.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
In Toronto it works both ways. Players are either overhyped or undervalued. Look at guys like Kessel and Gardiner. Very good players who you'd think were complete trash if you listened to our media.

And trashed by elements of the fan base too.

Quite a few fans don’t understand the skill difference in players.

They expect a Polak to play like a Lidstrom.

Or a Komarov to play like Marner.

Or a Marner to play like Crosby.

We’ll be better once we get rid of Polak. And replace him with another guy who is a 6-7 on the depth chart??

We want draft picks for Marner. So we can draft another Marner. Or draft 4 players whose collective cap hit won’t be over $11M. Or trade those picks for a Marner.

Fans. Whatcha going to do.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Barrie will be perfectly pairing with Muzzin. Muzzin can use his shot and feed off of Barrie offensively, while also covering for him defensively.

Sounds like a great pairing.

I've had the same thought.

But, then I wonder who's playing with Reilly? Ceci I guess.

Not sure that's increasing the overall effectiveness of the 1st unit in that scenario, but maybe we'll have more balance between the 1st & 2nd pairing if that's worth something.

Reactions: smitty10

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
TJ Brodie was the Dman heading to Toronto.

He was was a +29 +/- 6th best among Dmen in 2018-19.

To be fair, Brodie did play most of the season with Norris-trophy winner Mark Giordano. And any Flames fan would tell you the gap between Giordano and Brodie isn't close.

Brodie to me is closer to Gardiner than Barrie - decent offensively but not elite. Not great defensively but not a liability either(most of the time anyway). The only real advantage of Brodie over Barrie to me is he's going to cost considerably less on a new contract.

Barrie is elite offensively. Defensively though he has some definite question marks. As others said he'd be best off with a stay-at-home partner who can cover for Barrie when he takes chances.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Zone starts are dumb. Barrie is pacing 60 points last two years with 60% o zone starts. A few years ago he was at 50 points with 50% o zone starts. Wow that must make it perfect math...

Not much of a correlation. You can dial down his o zone stats but it's not gonna decrease Barries point totals that much nor make him a better player defensively or offensively.
He is what he is.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Nah you're wrong, Ron Hainsey's +/- was way better.

We're so screwed.

giphy.gif

I can’t tell as you don’t tend to think for yourself.

Sarcasm or seriousness?

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Does anyone know when Barrie is going to be introduced, meet with the media and reveal his jersey number, etc?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
TSN Craig Button described Barrie as the right hand version of Jake Gardiner, only slightly better offensively but weaker defensively.

I have no faith in Babcock and his stretch pass system and his player usage so we could have gotten the best D-man in the league and I still wouldnt get my hopes up much.

will never ever forgive babcock for not playing matthews in game 7 enough and relying on pylons like brown and marleau

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
When Barrie is on the ice its like having and extra forward out there, however his D partner becomes a sitting duck defensively often asked to be the lone man back on odd man rushes by the opposition.

Andersen will be facing more high danger shots as a result.

Barrie is neither big nor physical so he can be overpowered in his own zone by teams that play a big heavy game and forecheck.

Offensively the kid shines no question there, and when the puck is on his stick his breakout plays or zone exits often joining or leading the attack is something of beauty.. If however the puck is turned over then being out of position defensively and giving the opposition high quality scoring chances in transition is something that you don't want to see.

only way to salvage the situation (if no stupid stretch pass system) is to run

Muzzin Barrie (top pair)
Rielly Ceci (2nd pair)
YYY Liljegren (3rd pair)
ZZZ

replace YYY with Dermott when he is back or Trade Ceci at the TDL move Dermott up and get a solid LHD for the 3rd pairing

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If Barrie just turns out to be a rental then I don't think the trade was that great. Yeah probably had to be done, like patching a hole in a boat so you don't drown... but the patch is a temporary fix. The way this team is built you know the other teams strategy is going to be to bully us in the playoffs. And you know the refs like to put away their whistles when it comes to the Leafs. If it ends up being Kerfoot for Kadri then the Avs won the deal. This isn't basketball you can't just throw a bunch of skill on the ice and expect to win.
We needed an defense who could carry puck up ice this year because Sandin and Lily are not ready yet. Gards was hurt and too expensive for our CAP. Barrie was best rental we could get with cheap AAV. So now we got Rielly and Barrie to haul puck up ice on both top 4 pairs. and we will match them with 2 guys who can protect the net. To me we could not have asked for much more. Very very good trade for us. and then year after Lily and Sandin are ready and we don't need Barrie anymore. It is real simple and very well thought out.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I have no faith in Babcock and his stretch pass system and his player usage so we could have gotten the best D-man in the league and I still wouldnt get my hopes up much.

will never ever forgive babcock for not playing matthews in game 7 enough and relying on pylons like brown and marleau
Here's the beauty of it. None of our current dmen on contract like the stretch pass system. So bottom line Dubie is quite bright.

He has given Babs 2 guys who like to skate puck up ice themselves. Barrie and Rielly love to wheel with the puck. That is what they are good at.

Muzzy, Ceci and Harpur play a down low game. Either short pass up the wall or eat puck on boards and wait for centre help.

The only guy who can play the stretch is Dermott but I think if you talk to him you will find he likes to play a more traditional game too.

Babs is going to have to adapt otherwise he will be pitching a square into a round hole. He really has NO choice here. It is just the makeup of defense he has this year.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I have a feeling we are really going to love Kerfoot. Think he settles in nicely with us. I think Colorado fans were really expecting him to be the crux of their secondary scoring....

I see him starting with Matthews and really settling in as a setup guy... Think AM was kinda frustrated at times because Kapanen has more of a head down, force the pace, not much finese kinda winger.

Think this will help out confidence in our lineup while Hyman sits out.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Here's the beauty of it. None of our current dmen on contract like the stretch pass system. So bottom line Dubie is quite bright.

He has given Babs 2 guys who like to skate puck up ice themselves. Barrie and Rielly love to wheel with the puck. That is what they are good at.

Muzzy, Ceci and Harpur play a down low game. Either short pass up the wall or eat puck on boards and wait for centre help.

The only guy who can play the stretch is Dermott but I think if you talk to him you will find he likes to play a more traditional game too.

Babs is going to have to adapt otherwise he will be pitching a square into a round hole. He really has NO choice here. It is just the makeup of defense he has this year.

he has had three years to make adjustments with the core and he hasn't adjusted. Bruins were surprised by Babcock's tactics (not in a good way FYI) in the playoffs too

Here is hoping am proven wrong and Babcock does adjust, but quite frankly having watched him for 3 years I am not putting much hope into it

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
he has had three years to make adjustments with the core and he hasn't adjusted. Bruins were surprised by Babcock's tactics (not in a good way FYI) in the playoffs too

Here is hoping am proven wrong and Babcock does adjust, but quite frankly having watched him for 3 years I am not putting much hope into it

Gards loves the stretch
Hainsey had no other choice because he could not skate
Z I think everyone will find out this upcoming season is not good enough
Rielly did what he wanted either way last year
Dermott can do the stretch
OZ like the stretch too
It is a completely different defense now. Gards, Hainsey Z and OZ are gone. Hard to play the stretch when ur guys don't like it or it does not suit their games. I don't think Babs has any choice. We will see in camp but i suspect we will see a more traditional breakout this season irrespective of Babs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad