Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen for Tyson Barrie (50% retain), Alex Kerfoot trade (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
This trade stings still. Heart and soul type of player that cared about the jersey, his team mates etc. Mark Hunter would have never done this. Kadri made a mistake in 2 playoffs but defending your team mates is honourable as well. Kadri will win a Cup in Colarado before the Leafs win one, imo.
We'll see how it works out. I love the fact we shored up our offense from the right D. Barrie is going to be awesome. Kerfoot, while not the player Kadri is, will fill out a top 9 spot. Kadri was an extravagance, I'm not even going to go into the playoff suspensions, but he was good depth to have in case of injuries to Matthews and Tavares. Kerfoot won't be able to jump into that role, but we have Nylander who can...Kadri was depth, so you deal from depth to shore up areas of need, I liked the trade and I liked Kadri as a player.

Reactions: Its not your fault

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Or if Kerfoot looks like a legit #3 center?

this is my biggest worry. he might not be good enough to be our #3 center. He might be more of a bottom 6 winger... in which case, he could be overpaid.

I have a feeling that Spezza will be the better option for our #3 center (or maybe our 4th line will just be better than our 3rd line).

hope I'm wrong about him... but based off the comments from some of the Avs posters, I don't think that Kerfoot will be very good.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Look at this garbage.

I f***ing love how that's equally despicable as any headshot Kadri has delivered and Chara didn't even get so much as a 2 minute penalty. He's not without history either.

Those pundit shills really made a note to keep quiet about it too. These double standards are truly f***ing astounding.
That was a cheap shot. And would you have someone "tough" retaliate and go to the box?
No, it's an absolute joke. Chara's "good old veteran playoff hockey move" is a Leafs player's 5 minute major or suspension.

Last edited:

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
this is my biggest worry. he might not be good enough to be our #3 center. He might be more of a bottom 6 winger... in which case, he could be overpaid.

I have a feeling that Spezza will be the better option for our #3 center (or maybe our 4th line will just be better than our 3rd line).

hope I'm wrong about him... but based off the comments from some of the Avs posters, I don't think that Kerfoot will be very good.
But you think Spezza will be better LOL

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Or if Kerfoot looks like a legit #3 center?
Why do you leaf fans think Kerfoot is a centre? You guys basing it on the amount of faceoffs? Ask any Avs fan they will tell you he was terrible when he played centre, and got most of his points on the pp or as a winger with Mak. If you guys would see this trade without homer glasses, you would see how bad this trade was. Even if the leafs were willing to use more then half their cap next season to sign one of 5 spots on D that needs to be filled, Barrie knows if he hits ufa he can play for a team in the west, possibly his hometown where there has been mutual interest for ever. Soong term its Kadri and Rosen, for Kerfoot. Thats a really bad trade. I dont usually post in other teams threads, but the leaf fans tend to make every single thread aboutvthe leafs somehow, so I thought id give it a try. I have to admit, that im surprised at how many decent fans are here. Too bad their are a bunch of obnoxious ones who make the good ones look bad.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Why do you leaf fans think Kerfoot is a centre? You guys basing it on the amount of faceoffs? Ask any Avs fan they will tell you he was terrible when he played centre, and got most of his points on the pp or as a winger with Mak. If you guys would see this trade without homer glasses, you would see how bad this trade was. Even if the leafs were willing to use more then half their cap next season to sign one of 5 spots on D that needs to be filled, Barrie knows if he hits ufa he can play for a team in the west, possibly his hometown where there has been mutual interest for ever. Soong term its Kadri and Rosen, for Kerfoot. Thats a really bad trade. I dont usually post in other teams threads, but the leaf fans tend to make every single thread aboutvthe leafs somehow, so I thought id give it a try. I have to admit, that im surprised at how many decent fans are here. Too bad their are a bunch of obnoxious ones who make the good ones look bad.

The Leafs are going to try Kerfoot at center. Yes, it's not going to be ideal for the Leafs. Hopefully the Leafs will find the best place to use Kerfoot in the Leafs' lineup. The Leafs had to do something about their defense situation this season and Kadri was the Leafs' casualty. Kadri was my favourite Leaf over the past decade of iffy Leafs' teams but the guy's legs have been failing. Kadri had stretches for the Leafs over the past two seasons where he had trouble keeping up with the rest of the Leafs and went on long pointless/goalless streaks. The Leafs will miss Kadri's feist but they won't miss the suspensions and they won't miss the prolonged scoring droughts.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

@flying v 604

There are obnoxious fans everywhere. Of course the larger the populate set, the larger each group contains.

Leafs don't need offense from Kerfoot, they need someone to play defense.

https://thehockeywriters.com/avalanche-kerfoot-valuable-player/

Defensively, the Avalanche saw the biggest drop in shot attempts against when Kerfoot is on the ice. His minus-3.76 Corsi against per-60 was 44th best for players with a 900-minute minimum at 5-v-5. This is a forward who is defensively aware and makes smart decisions protecting the puck with a high success rate of 1.26 giveaways-per-60.

Kerfoot has the sixth-fewest offensive zone faceoffs per sixty minutes on the team so he isn’t being heavily sheltered. He is earning his good possession numbers by carrying lesser players with similar zone starts across the ice. He is utilized both at center and on the wing.
The biggest takeaway from all of this should be that Kerfoot is an effective player the entire length of the ice. He also happens to be proficient at the center ice position. Teams simply don’t win without depth down the middle. Colorado got away from lining Kerfoot up at center during the playoffs and that’s something they may want to go back on given how stable he is.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

We're thinking Colorado fans are no different than most other fans - their eye test is really good at seeing things like goals and hits..... and wasted scoring chances and giveaways. But maybe not quite as good at seeing defensive positioning and subtle puck movement efficiency.

Kerfoot is a good player, and a good defensive player, who also managed to produce about as much as kadri did last year, despite not getting kadri's top unit PP usage. Kadri is still probably the better offensive creator, though honestly last year it was a bit scary how invisible he looked much of the time. But just as likely that Kerfoot is a defensive upgrade. Kerfoot also adds even more speed to our team, and is younger and cheaper. After last year we were all kinda having nightmares of kadri maybe being on the early decline due to wear and tear on his small body from playing the way he plays, like a guy like Darcy Tucker. Hopefully it's just an off year for him after being shuffled down the lineup and he rebounds for Colorado.

In addition, we added a near-elite offensive puck moving right hand defenseman, who for the first time in his career won't be depended on to be his team's go-to #1 catalyst from the back end, which should help him flourish, and we have plenty of cap space to re-sign him.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
A fan from another team calling a great trade a bad trade? I'm not surprised.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

This does have the potential to b a really bad, I already said we will find out next summer

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
A key in this deal is that the leafs are getting 2 guys who will slot lower in their lineup than they did in colorado, and the avs are getting a player that will slot higher in their lineup than he did in ours.

beyond telling us something about the quality of the two teams, this should also make it easier for the leafs' adds to look good relative to role, while it might make it tougher for kadri to do the same.

Much of the Avs' fans frustrations with Kerfoot was seeing a kid who looked real good as a 23yr old rookie then struggle when asked to play a bigger role in year 2 - they needed a legit 2nd line center and were hopeful Kerfoot could be it, but he couldn't handle that kind of offensive responsibility in his 2nd year at age 24. They needed another offensive catalyst beyond their top line and nobody, including kerfoot, was able to do that. That likely led to a bunch of frustration from the fans. For us, we don't need Kerfoot to be a 2nd line impact type player - he'll slot in our 3rd line and will have to dominate down there to even get consideration to move up higher in the lineup. Here we don't need an offensive catalyst, just a solid possession player with quality complimentary offense. He won't even be the best offensive guy outside the top 6, let alone a top 6 offensive player like he was in colorado.

With Barrie, too - Avs fans loved him, and for good reason. But they also had to deal with the frustration of him not being a guy they could really put in the tough matchups, like we do with Rielly. Here in toronto, Barrie will have less responsibility, which should allow us to enjoy his strengths without getting as frustrated by his weaknesses.

Now Kadri is a very interesting case, because while he wasn't very good in a depth role last year, and while he's going to be asked to fill a much bigger role for the Avs going forward......kadri may be one of the rare players who actually thrives (and needs?) bigger responsibility to shine. It certainly would help explain why naz was such a nonentity much of last year with his demotion, and is definitely a more pleasing explanation that he's hitting an early decline like other small gritty players have in the past. I love Naz, and was super disappointed with him last year - so hopefully the bigger role rejuvenates him and he gets back to being the impact two-way player he was the previous 2yrs.

Last edited:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
A key in this deal is that the leafs are getting 2 guys who will slot lower in their lineup than they did in colorado, and the avs are getting a player that will slot higher in their lineup than he did in ours.

beyond telling us something about the quality of the two teams, this should also make it easier for the leafs' adds to look good relative to role, while it might make it tougher for kadri to do the same.

Much of the Avs' fans frustrations with Kerfoot was seeing a kid who looked real good as a 23yr old rookie then struggle when asked to play a bigger role in year 2 - they needed a legit 2nd line center and were hopeful Kerfoot could be it, but he couldn't handle that kind of offensive responsibility in his 2nd year at age 24. They needed another offensive catalyst beyond their top line and nobody, including kerfoot, was able to do that. That likely led to a bunch of frustration from the fans. For us, we don't need Kerfoot to be a 2nd line impact type player - he'll slot in our 3rd line and will have to dominate down there to even get consideration to move up higher in the lineup. Here we don't need an offensive catalyst, just a solid possession player with quality complimentary offense. He won't even be the best offensive guy outside the top 6, let alone a top 6 offensive player like he was in colorado.

With Barrie, too - Avs fans loved him, and for good reason. But they also had to deal with the frustration of him not being a guy they could really put in the tough matchups, like we do with Rielly. Here in toronto, Barrie will have less responsibility, which should allow us to enjoy his strengths without getting as frustrated by his weaknesses.

Now Kadri is a very interesting case, because while he wasn't very good in a depth role last year, and while he's going to be asked to fill a much bigger role for the Avs going forward......kadri may be one of the rare players who actually thrives (and needs?) bigger responsibility to shine. It certainly would help explain why naz was such a nonentity much of last year with his demotion, and is definitely a more pleasing explanation that he's hitting an early decline like other small gritty players have in the past. I love Naz, and was super disappointed with him last year - so hopefully the bigger role rejuvenates him and he gets back to being the impact two-way player he was the previous 2yrs.

Well, unless you're someone like Tavares, you aren't going to elevate everyone playing around you. Colorado has and has had exactly 2 wingers on their team that can be expected to score more than 40 points. So its going to be tough for any center other than McKinnon to rack up the points unless they stop relying on their one line to do everything. If Kadri has Landeskog or Rataten on his wing he will probably be back to 50+ point Nazem. If its any of the teams lesser wingers like Compfer, Donskoi, Jost etc.? He's not the guy who will elevate them, and they're not the wingers who will elevate Kadri since neither of them are going to dish him passes, and it remains to be seen if Makar can step in and pick up close to Barrie's offensive numbers. Oddly enough, Kerfoot would have probably been the guy to do that for Nazem to shinie. If Kerfoot has Kapanen and Mikheyeve/Moore etc. on his line, he'll probably do about as well as he did last year playing with similar level players in Colorado who all shot the puck while he is a passer, IMO. Plus, if Babcock wants a proven playmaker higher up the lineup, Kerfoot might find himself picking up more points if he's put on Matthews or Tavares' wing.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Ahh thank you the great Canucks poster 'flying v 604' for your input on the Avs and Leafs.

I'm sure Confirmed Signing with Link: - [TOR] Leafs sign 7 players. All contracts around $700K your opinion on anything Leafs is Vancouver will make the playoffs completely fair and unbiased as Speculation: - Mitch Marner Mega Thread 8.5 (Mod Warning OP) you have shown in the past to be a Speculation: - Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 6 poster that knows what he's talking about Speculation: - Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 6 when it comes to the Leafs! Thank you almight flying 604 Speculation: - Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 6 for your perfect and reasonable takes! Value of: - William Nylander. I'm sure most of us in here take your opinions Friedman: - "Toronto is making A LOT of calls right now" very seriously....

Reactions: Dekes For Days

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Rielly and Barrie our top pairing now.. WOOOO! SOLID! I am happy for Andsersen too!

All in all, I am very happy with what Dubas did !

amost 0 chance Rielly and Barrie play together...that is not very much of a defensive conscience...

Rielly Ceci (Rielly can carry Ceci if need be much better than Muzzin could)
Muzzin Barrie (Babcock seems to like his D pairings with 1 Offensive guy and 1 defensive guy
crapshoot Dermott (fill in the plugs until Dermott is healthy...I think it will end up being Harpur personally...big guy not afraid to be physical)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
amost 0 chance Rielly and Barrie play together...that is not very much of a defensive conscience...

Rielly Ceci (Rielly can carry Ceci if need be much better than Muzzin could)
Muzzin Barrie (Babcock seems to like his D pairings with 1 Offensive guy and 1 defensive guy
crapshoot Dermott (fill in the plugs until Dermott is healthy...I think it will end up being Harpur personally...big guy not afraid to be physical)

I disagree. Muzzin - Ceci will play the same role Muzzin-Zaitsev did for us. Ceci played that role in Ottawa, and when you look at context, got better results than Zaitsev did, given the team around him.

Rielly - Barrie will be together, and get 55-60% SZR. Like both regularly did previously.

I highly doubt the Leafs acquired Tyson Barrie to play him in the defensive zone as much as Jake Muzzin does, which Barrie has never done, instead of Ceci, who has done it most of his career.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I disagree. Muzzin - Ceci will play the same role Muzzin-Zaitsev did for us. Ceci played that role in Ottawa, and when you look at context, got better results than Zaitsev did, given the team around him.

Rielly - Barrie will be together, and get 55-60% SZR. Like both regularly did previously.

I highly doubt the Leafs acquired Tyson Barrie to play him in the defensive zone as much as Jake Muzzin does, which Barrie has never done, instead of Ceci, who has done it most of his career.

The great thing is, we can mix up the pairings throughout the game depending on the scenerio.

We could very well see something like:

60%
Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie

40%
Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Ceci

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The great thing is, we can mix up the pairings throughout the game depending on the scenerio.

60%
Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie

40%
Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Ceci
That really doesn't seem likely. Babcock hates changing the defensive pairs

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

60%
Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie

40%
Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Ceci

Do you know who our coach is? :laugh:

It took until halfway through period 3 of Game 7 for any sort of change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad