Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen for Tyson Barrie (50% retain), Alex Kerfoot trade (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The issue with the cap is how much do you want to sink into your top pair and how much into the other four? Giving Barrie a big, long-term deal means you have less to spend on your other four defencemen.

I guess the focus is this year and then worry about the rest.

Part of the plan I would guess is that the Leafs see that Sandin and Liljegren can step in on their ELC’s for cheap effective solutions. In addition to this they're also likely high on Dermott who won’t cost a ton on his new deal.

It’s looking like the d-core of the future could be Rielly, Barrie, Sandin, Liljegren, and Dermott ... the cost being under $20 mill in cap space (until Rielly re-signs)

Reactions: LindrosLeafs88

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Where do you guys think Barrie fits on the PP? It would be a waste of his offensive talents to not have him on PP1 yet it seems crowded there. Will we see both Rielly and Barrie or will Babcock choose to split them up. If so who takes the PP1 QB spot?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I don’t think Dubas gives up Kadri without the idea that he intends on re-signing Barrie

I think the intent is to resign.

It’s also clear that Dubas has been shopping Kadri for some time now. First with the Carolina rumours last off season, the nixed Calgary trade and then the Colorado move.

With a 10 team NTC and a need to shed cap and upgrade the blue line... this had to be the best option to pursue.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
And if I’m Barrie, I say let’s see what next summer holds

If Toronto is offering you 8 years, and the 7.5-8M you are looking for, you take it.

Look at Jake Gardiner. One injury late in the season has derailed his entire free agency where he appeared poised to get 7 years and 6.5-7M. Now it looks like he’ll maybe get a 2 or 3 year deal around 5.5-6M.

Waiting works for RFA’s, but for UFA’s, if you can get an extension, you do it

Reactions: dubey and Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Toronto is offering you 8 years, and the 7.5-8M you are looking for, you take it.

Look at Jake Gardiner. One injury late in the season has derailed his entire free agency where he appeared poised to get 7 years and 6.5-7M. Now it looks like he’ll maybe get a 2 or 3 year deal around 5.5-6M.

This summer has definitely shown some ufas not get anywhere near what they were expe tibg.

Gardiner is a great example. Ferland another

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This deal still stings.

...It appears its Kadri for Kerfoot.
I
This to me is the issue. Barrie is basically a one-year rental.

I think you’ll find they will sign Barrie.

But even if they don’t... it’s a good deal. Consider the worst case. 1 year rental and Kerfoot.

We haven’t had Kadri for 2 seasons when it mattered.

This team would have been more competitive in the playoffs by keeping an aging Bozak.

Kerfoot is an NHL capable Center who will actually dress when it matters. We also get a buffer year for younger D players to develop without rushing them to the NHL.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Possibly. But if you are like JT and want to choose your location... the money doesn’t matter. You’ll get something comparable.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Possibly. But if you are like JT and want to choose your location... the money doesn’t matter. You’ll get something comparable.

I wouldn't compare Tyson Barrie to John Tavares. Tavares is a franchise center. Even if he had injury issues, he would still have been sought after. As Jake Gardiner has shown, that money and term can disappear quickly for non-franchise guys. Ferland is another example. Wayne Simmonds is another. Ryan Dzingle turned down an extension from Ottawa, which was 3 more years than he got, and 1.5Mish more than he got.

Reactions: Crysis

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I wouldn't compare Tyson Barrie to John Tavares. Tavares is a franchise center. Even if he had injury issues, he would still have been sought after. As Jake Gardiner has shown, that money and term can disappear quickly for non-franchise guys. Ferland is another example. Wayne Simmonds is another. Ryan Dzingle turned down an extension from Ottawa, which was 3 more years than he got, and 1.5Mish more than he got.

Decent point. Can’t predict injuries.

However, if there are no injuries or like many in society he’s willing to gamble... he could pay significantly.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I feel like Pesce would have been the happy medium between Barrie and Brodie. Not as much offensive upside as Barrie, but a RHD with term and Carolina does want to upgrade at forward.

Still curious about Jankowski's availability though. Wouldn't mind him as a project center on the third line.

Barrie> Pesce. It's not close.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Given what our team needs and factoring age and contract, pesce would have been more ideal. We will would have needed a 3 line center though.

We know that Carolina and Toronto were talking about this last year as Kadri was rumoured to be moved for Pesce.

What we don’t know is whether Carolina was on his 10 team list. May not have even been an option.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We know that Carolina and Toronto were talking about this last year as Kadri was rumoured to be moved for Pesce.

What we don’t know is whether Carolina was on his 10 team list. May not have even been an option.

I dont have a source handy but I believe somebody like Mirtle or Siegel in Twitter had mentioned the Canes were on his "no" list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad