Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen for Tyson Barrie (50% retain), Alex Kerfoot trade (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The part of the game many just don't understand... Komorov absolutely helped bring the best out of Kadri the same way Hyman helped bring more compete into Matthews. Many think it's Nylander that Matthews needs I'd argue it's Hyman he needs more. Somebody that helps bring him into the fight & compete for pucks and ice.

As for the trade, it improves the team for next season however if Barrie isn't re-signed it's a lost trade. Kadri isn't done just yet and he will do what he's always done prove people wrong in Colorodo.

“Like”

I think Kadri will have a rebound year in Colorado. He’ll have a defined role and something to prove as he builds towards his retirement contract.

I absolutely expect him to best his point total of last season.

Decline is never a straight line.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
“Like”

I think Kadri will have a rebound year in Colorado. He’ll have a defined role and something to prove as he builds towards his retirement contract.

I could see a 25-25 season from him.

Depends how his PP production and who he plays with at even strength. His 30G seasons in Toronto were really propelled by his involvement on the PP. The Av's winger depth isn't anything to rave home about so Kadri could get stuck with some average wingers that might hold his production back.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Love this trade Barrie is the last piece to the Stanley Cup Puzzle
We are one top 6 defender away from having an actual good D core. If we can lock up Marner and sign a vet like Lovejoy or Girardi, I think this team can be a real force this year.

Dubas addressed a couple enormous needs for us over the past 2 seasons. Adding Muzzin and Barrie to the top 4 and adding some depth guys to avoid situations like last year when injuries arise.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Are the Leafs going to announce what number Barrie is going to wear so fans can buy jerseys?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We are one top 6 defender away from having an actual good D core. If we can lock up Marner and sign a vet like Lovejoy or Girardi, I think this team can be a real force this year.

Dubas addressed a couple enormous needs for us over the past 2 seasons. Adding Muzzin and Barrie to the top 4 and adding some depth guys to avoid situations like last year when injuries arise.

I think eventually Ben Hutton will be that guy

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Are the Leafs going to announce what number Barrie is going to wear so fans can buy jerseys?
Get a blank one of super keep once and just paid a good company to stitch on the name plate and number. Horray for JVR number 21 so not only was it dated some kids might even be like he never wore that number lol. Anyways that's just always a way around it.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This deal still stings.

The main return for Kadri should have been a D-man with some term. Barrie wants 8 million next year. He might be a rental . It appears its Kadri for Kerfoot.

Muzzin, Ceci and Barrie are all UFA next year. The assets given for Muzzin and Barrie imo were fair too big for 2 d-men who have 1 year left and will command a raise.

Reactions: baton elevated

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Nazem Kadri reveals why he nixed trade between Flames, Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

“So what happened is they had a deal in place and they wanted me to move my no-trade clause,” Kardi told co-hosts Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek. “But you know, obviously, for me, it was no disrespect to Calgary or the Flames organization. I love their team and I love the direction they’re headed. I just figured that had I declined, I would have had a better opportunity of being a Maple Leaf next year and that’s really what it came down to. I wanted to play for the Leafs next year. I wanted to be a part of that. In declining that trade I had aspirations of being a Leaf and we know clearly that didn’t happen.

I feel bad for the guy, his heart truly does bleed blue and white. I hope he can come back as a Leaf some point in the future and retire here. I wish him the best and hope he gets a Stanley Cup (hopefully with the Leafs some time down in the future. That would be a dream).

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
This deal still stings.

The main return for Kadri should have been a D-man with some term. Barrie wants 8 million next year. He might be a rental . It appears its Kadri for Kerfoot.

Muzzin, Ceci and Barrie are all UFA next year. The assets given for Muzzin and Barrie imo were fair too big for 2 d-men who have 1 year left and will command a raise.

This to me is the issue. Barrie is basically a one-year rental.

I also think it may be why the Leafs preferred the Flames deal. Brodie isn’t as good as Barrie, but he’s still a top-4 and he’d be asking for a lot less on a new deal.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I feel like Pesce would have been the happy medium between Barrie and Brodie. Not as much offensive upside as Barrie, but a RHD with term and Carolina does want to upgrade at forward.

Still curious about Jankowski's availability though. Wouldn't mind him as a project center on the third line.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

I agree that a vet would do good for our rear ends but what I don't agree is that we is one puzzle way........ naah brah. Not like that. This team needs one more thug beside that. Too mellow and soft pillow baby. Not enough for playoffs... human beings get hurt there. Hurt like hit em up hurt like y'all already knew. We need that one more lemieux son back. Something like that. Unless we ain't getting it at deadline.... or before that. We will fail again in the playoffs. Does this new gm never learn........... Lou know bout that. Dubas don't period.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
“Like”

Unfortunately, no one that people have projected to be playing with him has produced anything better than he played with last year. As far as I can see they are all in and around the Marleau-Brown category.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I agree that a vet would do good for our rear ends but what I don't agree is that we is one puzzle way........ naah brah. Not like that. This team needs one more thug beside that. Too mellow and soft pillow baby. Not enough for playoffs... human beings get hurt there. Hurt like hit em up hurt like y'all already knew. We need that one more lemieux son back. Something like that. Unless we ain't getting it at deadline.... or before that. We will fail again in the playoffs. Does this new gm never learn........... Lou know bout that. Dubas don't period.

One year, two months on the job and Dubas 'never learn...period.' Ummmm, I'm not saying you're wrong about getting some 'tough', but maybe we can extend the time frame a bit before we say Dubas will 'never'...

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
One year, two months on the job and Dubas 'never learn...period.' Ummmm, I'm not saying you're wrong about getting some 'tough', but maybe we can extend the time frame a bit before we say Dubas will 'never'...
I'm bout to say it my brooothes and siiiiistes and all my coolios and coolionettes this ain'ts it mayne. Dubas soften his lineup already......... if he ain't getting thuglife back in tucker's ghost or roberts's boots, all the dominoes might fall....... it's a chess game baby with souljas 8 times. We better rack em up and stackem hard.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
We don't know this yet.

We could be re-signing Barrie, and not for the crazy numbers the media has thrown out.

He’s not going for less than $6 mill a year. He might not get 8, but he won’t go for less than 6. And with the Leafs cap situation they can’t afford that unless other pieces are moved out.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He’s not going for less than $6 mill a year. He might not get 8, but he won’t go for less than 6. And with the Leafs cap situation they can’t afford that unless other pieces are moved out.

We have one defenseman signed through next year, they can pick one of Muzzin/Barrie to bring back without much creative roster movement. 8 years + bonuses + lockout protection gives us a competitive pitch.

Reactions: Eb

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
We have one defenseman signed through next year, they can pick one of Muzzin/Barrie to bring back without much creative roster movement. 8 years + bonuses + lockout protection gives us a competitive pitch.

The issue with the cap is how much do you want to sink into your top pair and how much into the other four? Giving Barrie a big, long-term deal means you have less to spend on your other four defencemen.

I guess the focus is this year and then worry about the rest.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I know it would've taken some intense cap manuevering, but going forward I'd rather have Subban at 9 than Barrie at 8, or worse yet Barrie as a rental, and PK got flipped for nothing. I'm excited about Barrie and I hope he does well but it hurts giving up Kadri for a guy with no term. Again it obviously would've been difficult this season but if they cut ties with Ceci and didn't return Kerfoot in trading Kadri, flipped to Nashville as a cheaper Duchene, or flipped for futures to use, it should've worked. As of today I'm glad we've got Kerfoot as a replacement but all of this deal depends on how Barrie's situation plays out.

Regardless, the team looks pretty good next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad