Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen for Tyson Barrie (50% retain), Alex Kerfoot trade (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wow.. I was not aware of this. Interesting how he made the change to D. I always wanted to see Gardiner used as a forward, just for the fun of it.

Yup, Jake Gardiner was a forward through US high school hockey and turned to defense when he hit the NCAA.

Tyson Barrie story is similar in that he was a forward at bantam/minor midget hockey and then became a Dman in the WHL officially. Tyson Barrie as Bantam/midget B forward in Victoria recorded 72 games 43 goals 87 assists 130 points

Tyson Barrie's father Len was a high scoring forward that also played in the NHL, but was a WHL star in 1989-90 with Kamloops his father put up 70 games 85 goals 100 assists 185 points. So the apple didn't fall far from the tree and that is where Tyson gets his "Offensive flair" from in part, as its in the blood. :)

When Barrie is on the ice its like 3 forwards, 1 Rover and 1 Dman on the ice.

If your the goalie on either team when he is on the ice you should be nervous. :wg:

Last edited:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It would be reassuring to hear some positive feedback on Kerfoot from Avs fans. not one fan has stepped up and said we got a nice player with upside. Barrie on the other hand has had plenty of accolades. I guess Kerfoot was their Zaitsev.

He's just your average middle 6 forward with decent skill level. Not a guy that was depended on too much like Z and thus resented, just a guy who kinda was just average.

Teams need decent players on smaller manageable contracts too. Nothing wrong with him per se.

Barrie on the other hand has an elite skillset(offensively). totally different asset.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He's just your average middle 6 forward with decent skill level. Not a guy that was depended on too much like Z and thus resented, just a guy who kinda was just average.

Teams need decent players on smaller manageable contracts too. Nothing wrong with him per se.

Barrie on the other hand has an elite skillset(offensively). totally different asset.
He's also had a lot of praise from hockey media, which is pretty rare for the add-on players in trades like this.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

God speed with Ceci. Yes I know what you're thinking, he did turn the puck over to a guy without his stick.

I laugh every time I see this video. That guy tries to put out a hit piece on Ceci and the best he can come up with, with 6 years of potential footage mind you, is a 48 second clip that contains literally 4 plays where Ceci actually makes a non-trivial mistake. The rest are just bad bounces where he's trying to block a shot or routine turnovers in the middle of the ice that don't even result in a scoring chance the other way.

We'll see how good he is here, but if that video is anything to go by - 4 costly mistakes over the course of 6 years...I'll take it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think this is the final piece I truly do, as long as Dubas gets Marner signed I think this team wins a championship.

I think Toronto has everything you need to win a championship

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think this is the final piece I truly do, as long as Dubas gets Marner signed I think this team wins a championship.

I think Toronto has everything you need to win a championship

Lacks grit, but grit isn't mandatory. Could be the case, we can only hope they pull it off. It's certainly a talented team.

Reactions: Its not your fault

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I dont actually remember specifics, but I was more remarking on how he can actually speak properly and doesnt mumble his way through an interview or fill it with "um" "ya" and "you know"

I don’t know about you but I heard a ton of umms, ughs, ahs...lost count at around 30 ;)

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I think this could end up being the best trade of Dubas' tenure so far. Very impressed he was able to grab a #2 righty Dman with 50% cap retained as well as a replacement 3rd line center for our third line center and a rookie defenseman who had played 8 NHL games.

Great move!

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
If Barrie just turns out to be a rental then I don't think the trade was that great. Yeah probably had to be done, like patching a hole in a boat so you don't drown... but the patch is a temporary fix. The way this team is built you know the other teams strategy is going to be to bully us in the playoffs. And you know the refs like to put away their whistles when it comes to the Leafs. If it ends up being Kerfoot for Kadri then the Avs won the deal. This isn't basketball you can't just throw a bunch of skill on the ice and expect to win.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think this could end up being the best trade of Dubas' tenure so far. Very impressed he was able to grab a #2 righty Dman with 50% cap retained as well as a replacement 3rd line center for our third line center and a rookie defenseman who had played 8 NHL games.

Great move!

With no term left and a BIG RAISE waiting for him.

Barrie or Muzzin walk for nothing. Another dumb "own rental" scenario.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It would be reassuring to hear some positive feedback on Kerfoot from Avs fans. not one fan has stepped up and said we got a nice player with upside. Barrie on the other hand has had plenty of accolades. I guess Kerfoot was their Zaitsev.

Here's a link of some Kerfoot talk a few months ago. There's a few posters that liked him but most of us are just glad he's gone due to price + doesn't really fit in our lineup.

Kerfoot and Compher

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I laugh every time I see this video. That guy tries to put out a hit piece on Ceci and the best he can come up with, with 6 years of potential footage mind you, is a 48 second clip that contains literally 4 plays where Ceci actually makes a non-trivial mistake. The rest are just bad bounces where he's trying to block a shot or routine turnovers in the middle of the ice that don't even result in a scoring chance the other way.

We'll see how good he is here, but if that video is anything to go by - 4 costly mistakes over the course of 6 years...I'll take it.
That theme song is their franchise's anthem for their entire existence.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
With no term left and a BIG RAISE waiting for him.

Barrie or Muzzin walk for nothing. Another dumb "own rental" scenario.

Lots of assets going out, not much coming in. It gets made better if they or one of them sign. Get what you mean though.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Lacks grit, but grit isn't mandatory. Could be the case, we can only hope they pull it off. It's certainly a talented team.

You don't need to kill people, but you do have to compete for ice and compete for pucks. Matthews and Nylander are the two keys to that. If they show up next year and compete, we're a Cup contender.

Reactions: thewave

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

Kerfoot clearly had a rough playoffs. That must be fresh in their minds.

This trade is good for both teams, but getting Alexander Kerfoot isn't really part of what makes it a win for the Leafs.

He's not a bad player, he does enough on paper to justify the contract he got. He can be a third wheel in a top 6 role but only on the wing and he's generally more comfortable at center. He'll collect his fair share of points in a top 6 role and is a decent filler guy but you'll eventually find yourself feeling he should be fairly easy to upgrade upon.

Part of that is that he doesn't really bring a whole ton other than being pretty good offensively. He's not overly small but he feels small and brings no physicality outside of catching a guy off guard once a year. He's not terrible defensively but you also don't want him in a defensive role. He's just kind of vanilla. Most Avs fans are much easier on (and happy to pay similar money for) JT Compher who produces less than Kerfoot in a similar W/C role, but is moderately better defensively, and is a pest.

He's the guy that it seems like you should want to have, but after 3-4 months you start to feel like you should be striving for better. He's somewhere between being a Sam Gagner and a poor man's Jordan Eberle. He seems like a good fit as the 5th or 6th guy in the top 6 but at the same time you don't really want him there. He seems like he'd be a strong 3C option but really his strengths don't lend him well to that and his weaknesses are even more exposed in a bottom 6 role. Regardless of where he is in the lineup you can't help but feel like there is somebody better at that specific role - that brings extra elements to their game - that you could have there instead.

Besides being a bit of a whipping boy, I think he's mostly liked (especially with him shooting pucks into crests for you guys now) and Avs fans are generally hoping he does well and survives what the media has been turning into pretty high hopes for him. Unfortunately the Canadian media hype train is going full steam on him and Leafs fans will be disappointed if they're expecting what they've been hearing from the talking heads to be completely accurate. He might find a role and do well there, or he might end up on 3 different teams the next 5 years.

He's hard to fit into a lineup that you feel like can contend with. Given the moves this summer it seems like that's how Sakic felt, apparently Dubas disagrees. I think most Avs fans are just interested at this point to see how he turns out there. He seemed like the kind of guy that gets traded to Edmonton or Vancouver, not to a team that should be looking at their lineup and thinking they can be a contender :dunno:

Barrie on the other hand gets more stick than he deserves. He's great at what he does and he does it often enough to forgive/forget the odd terrible decision or turnover (if you're the kind of fan that wants to never notice your dmen you'll hate him). He's a guy the Leafs should work hard to keep beyond next year and I think if they do then the trade is almost perfectly even value, if he walks in UFA it feels like the Leafs paid a heavy price for one year of Barrie.

Reactions: TruePowerSlave

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

The team lacks grit.

In fairness, we didn't have any grit with Kadri either... the press box doesn't exactly lend itself to a gritty game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad