Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen for Tyson Barrie (50% retain), Alex Kerfoot trade (continued)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Pretty sure Avs will be no.2 favorite team for a lot of Leafs fans now. I'll definitely be tuning in.
Avs have been my # 2 team since I lived there a little over 20 years ago. Seems their GM was a pretty good player back then... :)

Loving the Leafs having a couple of right D who can move the puck. I think this makes us much harder to play against because teams can’t shade to the left vs breakouts.

The ice is going to look a little more tilted in favour of our forward group this fall.

Reactions: Havoc

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Like shots he tried to block and went off him in the net is his fault? Or an attempted rush that got stood up on the redline? Half of that was routine plays for every player in the league lol

Yeah because noone has ever failed a rush before, or had a puck go off them into their own net?

I'm not saying he's any good, but isolating these things doesn't demonstrate anything. These things always have and always will happen to everyone.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Yeah because noone has ever failed a rush before, or had a puck go off them into their own net?

I'm not saying he's any good, but isolating these things doesn't demonstrate anything. These things always have and always will happen to everyone.
100% my train of thought. I’ll reserve judgement. Unlike the majority of HFBoards, I’d like to see with my own eyes to have an opinion on something

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
LeBrun Notebook: ‘This was never going to work for...
Going back to the top of this story where I mentioned Colorado was among the teams that checked in on Aho. It’s pretty fair to assume that Colorado’s big trade with Toronto later on Monday evening never happens if the Avs were able to proceed on Aho.

But they get Nazem Kadri instead and he’s going to be a great fit in Denver. He’s got a cap-friendly contract for three more years at a $4.5-million AAV and I think he’s got a chance to reestablish his 30-goal form with the Avs.

The arrival of John Tavares last year knocked Kadri down in the lineup and he never quite adjusted to his new role. He’ll get bigger minutes in Colorado.

Not that he wanted to get traded. Sources confirm Kadri nixed a potential deal to Calgary over the past week, and I believe his camp also sent word to another club on his 10-team no-trade list that had interest in him not to bother calling the Leafs. It was clear Kadri didn’t want to move.

Colorado was not on Kadri’s no-list, which allowed the Leafs to make the deal.

Tyson Barrie scratches the long-festering itch of the Leafs dying for a top-end, right-handed D. With Cody Ceci also on the right side now, suddenly this Leafs D-crops doesn’t look too bad at all, even if UFA Jake Gardiner doesn’t end up sticking around.

Outstanding work by Leafs GM Kyle Dubas between the Colorado and Ottawa trades on Monday.

Reactions: kb

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Nazem Kadri Conference Call

Jul 2, 2019 • 13:06

Avalanche forward Nazem Kadri talks media about joining the team via a trade with the Toronto Maple Leafs

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

I wonder at times if some of the people who obsess over things like a guy accidentally putting the puck in his own net or making a poor judgment call at a bad time have ever watched other games not involving Toronto.

Drew Doughty makes a bonehead play once a week in LA. Still elite.

The only perfect defenceman i can recall was Lidstrom for the last decade or so he played. Almost 100% of the rest make mistakes because that's the nature of this sport.

The minority of our fan base who goes on about how absolutely awful Jake Gardiner or Bryan McCabe were for us completely turn me off any discussion with them because they're literally only seeing 1 guy make 1 poor play and ignoring all the good that comes out of the same player.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Completely random but...am I the only one that thinks Tyson Barrie looks crazy similar to Tyler Bozak?lol

I don't really see it, other than both are white dudes with brown hair

8475197.jpg
i

Reactions: WillNy29

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
It would be reassuring to hear some positive feedback on Kerfoot from Avs fans. not one fan has stepped up and said we got a nice player with upside. Barrie on the other hand has had plenty of accolades. I guess Kerfoot was their Zaitsev.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
What does 3C spot look like for Toronto now?

Will it be a carousel or do you see someone locking it down?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It would be reassuring to hear some positive feedback on Kerfoot from Avs fans. not one fan has stepped up and said we got a nice player with upside. Barrie on the other hand has had plenty of accolades. I guess Kerfoot was their Zaitsev.

Kerfoot clearly had a rough playoffs. That must be fresh in their minds.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
What does 3C spot look like for Toronto now?

Will it be a carousel or do you see someone locking it down?

I have a feeling Babcock will fall in love with a player like Nick Shore and use the 3rd line as a match up line with 3 two-way players he will overplay: Agostino - Shore - Kapanen.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Not interested in arguing or anything.. but I really like this deal.
That's all.

Reactions: ACC1224

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
No argument here, but that is only going to get worse not better this season for Andersen as Barrie (-53 +/-) & Ceci (-60 +/-) the last 3 years combined, ranking them defensively among the worst over that period.

Barrie is like having an extra forward on the ice as he plays Rover position and Ceci is anything but reliable defensively, so that wide open style play and giving up high-scoring chances against will increase after the Dcore swap out Gardiner, Hainsey, Zaitsev and OZ for Barrie, Ceci, Ben Harpur Kevin Gravel.

So how long until Don Cherry refers to Barrie as "a forward playing defense"? Possibly Babs will put him with Muzzin and that will help cover the defensive side of things..

As for Ceci, I just want to believe that his +/- is a byproduct of a terrible Ottawa team..

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So how long until Don Cherry refers to Barrie as "a forward playing defense"? Possibly Babs will put him with Muzzin and that will help cover the defensive side of things..

As for Ceci, I just want to believe that his +/- is a byproduct of a terrible Ottawa team..

Barrie is a forward playing defense, that will not be hard to see and it won't take Don Cherry to point that out. :wg:

Tyson Barrie played 4 years for my Kelowna Rockets of the WHL and as a season ticket holder I've seen hundreds of games live with Barrie in action. He was actually a forward for most of his career before joining the WHL.

Leafs traded Centre Naz Kadri for Barrie and 57 and 59 point seasons were more points that Naz 55 and 44 points and one of those years included 32 goals.

You can read local Colorado news reports to reconfirm that point of yours.

ex: Forward-thinking: Avs defenseman Barrie chips in on offense

DENVER (AP) April 30th, 2019 — Colorado Avalanche defenseman Tyson Barrie has developed a reputation as forward thinking.

Easy to understand why: He’s constantly thinking as a forward. His father was an NHL forward. As a kid, he was a forward. And now he’s chipping in on offense much like a forward.

That’s Barrie being Barrie . He’s coming off a regular season in which had a career-high 59 points (14 goals, 45 assists), which was the most by an Avalanche defenseman since Ray Bourque had 59 in 2000-01. ”Tyson’s worked on his game over the last handful of years and gotten really good at creating offense, jumping up in the rush and making plays when he gets it in the O-zone,” Landeskog said.

Pressing forward just runs in the family. Tyson Barrie actually was a forward until his teen years, which he credits for his moves now. ”If you grow up a defenseman your whole life, you’re not working on the toe drag or beating guys on offense,” said Barrie. ”I always did that. I always made sure to really try to enjoy that part when I was playing hockey. I think it shows in the way I play. I like scoring and trying to beat guys one-on-one and stuff.”

Forward-thinking: Avs defenseman Barrie chips in on offense

Reactions: HabsInsider

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Barrie is a forward playing defense, that will not be hard to see and it won't take Don Cherry to point that out. :wg:

Tyson Barrie played 4 years for my Kelowna Rockets of the WHL and as a season ticket holder I've seen hundreds of games live with Barrie in action. He was actually a forward for most of his career before joining the WHL.

Leafs traded Centre Naz Kadri for Barrie and 57 and 59 point seasons were more points that Naz 55 and 44 points and one of those years included 32 goals.

You can read local Colorado news reports to reconfirm that point of yours.

ex: Forward-thinking: Avs defenseman Barrie chips in on offense

DENVER (AP) April 30th, 2019 — Colorado Avalanche defenseman Tyson Barrie has developed a reputation as forward thinking.

Easy to understand why: He’s constantly thinking as a forward. His father was an NHL forward. As a kid, he was a forward. And now he’s chipping in on offense much like a forward.

That’s Barrie being Barrie . He’s coming off a regular season in which had a career-high 59 points (14 goals, 45 assists), which was the most by an Avalanche defenseman since Ray Bourque had 59 in 2000-01. ”Tyson’s worked on his game over the last handful of years and gotten really good at creating offense, jumping up in the rush and making plays when he gets it in the O-zone,” Landeskog said.

Pressing forward just runs in the family. Tyson Barrie actually was a forward until his teen years, which he credits for his moves now. ”If you grow up a defenseman your whole life, you’re not working on the toe drag or beating guys on offense,” said Barrie. ”I always did that. I always made sure to really try to enjoy that part when I was playing hockey. I think it shows in the way I play. I like scoring and trying to beat guys one-on-one and stuff.”

Forward-thinking: Avs defenseman Barrie chips in on offense

Wow.. I was not aware of this. Interesting how he made the change to D. I always wanted to see Gardiner used as a forward, just for the fun of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad