Confirmed Trade: [TOR/ANA] Bernier to Anaheim for conditional 2017 pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
So the Ducks add +4mil to cap BEFORE signing Lindholm/the rest of their RFAs, interesting !!

As some have previously pointed out our cap hit isn't the problem.. We have the space is the actually salary amount.

So at 2.15 for Bernier is fine for a backup regardless what his cap hit is..

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I highly doubt you see Sparks as the Leafs back-up next season, although he was key in securing Matthews.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I would have liked Bernier and Andersen to battle it out for # 1 this season then we would have a reliable back up.

Not sold on Bibeau or Sparks at #2 as of yet. I'm sure there's more to come.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
As some have previously pointed out our cap hit isn't the problem.. We have the space is the actually salary amount.

So at 2.15 for Bernier is fine for a backup regardless what his cap hit is..

Looks like Lindholm and Rakell need to be re-signed for around 8M compined.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Good for both teams. Anaheim gets a usefull backup, who can play for stretches if needed. And they pay less dollars than the cap hits.

Toronto gets some cap space, and they get change. Now sign Ramo/Enroth or watch the waiver wire.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
little
Carlyle vs. Babcock.

JB will have to face many more shots, and getting shelled.

The Ducks have the better roster though.

On top of that, playing the way Carlyle teams do don't necessarily mean that goalie numbers are lower, just that the team controls the puck less and losses more than they probably should. A lot of goalies actually perform better when getting shelled.

Still don't think Bernier will have better numbers though.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I don't understand what the Ducks are doing as far as their cap goes. They're barely gonna be able to sign Lindholm and Rakell now. I can only assume they're trading a defenseman for a lower priced forward.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I would have liked Bernier and Andersen to battle it out for # 1 this season then we would have a reliable back up.

Not sold on Bibeau or Sparks at #2 as of yet. I'm sure there's more to come.

Backups are easily available.

Management in Toronto made it clear that they didn't want any goalie battle. Louis said straight up that the Andersen contract was to let Freddy know he was the #1.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Toronto can sign any average UFA goalie, or even claim some youngster on waivers. That will give them the backup they need, and it will cost a quarter of Bernier's contract.

It's obvious to me that the Toronto management team decided Reimer/Bernier wasn't ever going to work. So they are both gone.

Andersen/Bernier was a good tandem, and if things stay this way, we just got worse.

If we get a comparable UFA goalie signed, well, that cap hit really didn't mean much to us right now.just seems like player movement for the sake of player movement.

I really should wait to see the conditions/potential picks though.

Wish Bernier the best!
He's going to do well in Anaheim.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Probably supposed to be part of the original deal a week ago, and the Ducks circled back *quack quack*

If he was a Hab:
Media: by golly the media in Montreal is just way too harsh, they ruined this poor man with a promising career #pressurecooker

As a Leaf:
Media: didn't work out for a multitude of reasons. Guess he was never that good

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
For the record, Anaheim should be happy. Bernier could really excel, and I hope he does. He has skill, and will be in a much better situation for him now. But it was over in Toronto. He blew every chance to be the reality starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad