Confirmed Trade: [TOR/ANA] Bernier to Anaheim for conditional 2017 pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It sets up a another move for the leafs. Likely Russell or Vesey.

Russell plase no

Vesey, I'd like to hear about how moving 4.15 million in cap is a pre-cursor to signing an ELC. Sure there will be bonuses on Vesey's ELC wherever he signs and you want to minimize cap so as to not create an overage the following year but that's an issue the Leafs will have already. Nothing to do with Vesey.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
The ducks lose this deal just by having Bernier you lose this trade the only thing to be decided is to what'd degree you lose this trade that will be determined by what the conditional pick is.

You guys better pray Gibsom never gets hurt for a long time because if he does you guys are screwed.

Bernier is awful he can't play anymore he is finished.

while I agree I was not such a Bernier fan, I can see why the ducks would be happy with him as their backup. He won't battle for the number 1 spot and could very well play great for 10 or so games per season. You live in a glass house yet you throw stones at far better teams than your own. You post so much and gives me a clear picture you are a childish brat. I am guessing around 12 or 13 probably younger. makes our fanbase look like dimwits. If you are older than that I will pray for you.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm good with this deal. I Like Bernier as a backup... not so much as a starter.

Here's hoping both Bernier and Andersen have good seasons.

Bernier's a fine back up on a team that plays a structured game. He just looks like he lost his confidence last year carrying the bulk of the workload on a team with a young and inexperienced defense.
A pretty low risk move for the Ducks given the salary Toronto paid and the short term on his contract.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I saw him play every night for 3 years, he was bad for 2 of them and absolutely disgraceful last season that's all the proof required in this case the consistent downward trend of numbers us enough and not a small downward trend more like a sky diver falling towards earth.

Jonathan Bernier is finished
Okay, guess we will see how he plays knowing he is UFA next year and a whole new franchise being added to the league.
He is a back up and you're getting basically nothing for him anyway. It's meaningless.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You said "lose" three times in the first paragraph. Tell us how you really feel?

He is a back-up who cares. Other than people like you who think "winning" a trade is so important before there's any evidence.

Don't mind him. I've never seen someone get more emotional over a hockey player. It's way, way beyond any rationality.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
i say this as an unbiased person :P

Bernier is overrated AF. The guy was practically given the starting job in TOR when Riemer was the better goaltender.

Getting paid as a #1 doesnt mean youre a #1 GK. and thats Bernier to me, a backup getting paid as a starter.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
i say this as an unbiased person :P

Bernier is overrated AF. The guy was practically given the starting job in TOR when Riemer was the better goaltender.

Getting paid as a #1 doesnt mean youre a #1 GK. and thats Bernier to me, a backup getting paid as a starter.

The Duucks aren't paying him as a starter. They're picking up his salary after the bonus. So he's getting paid as a back up.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I still like Bernier. He's a great talent, he just has major confidence issues. Inability to rebound after soft goals, often in the first minute of on the first shot of a game.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Funny how two of LA's top goaltending prospects are now playing for their two biggest division rivals.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
I will be very happy if this indicates TOR is going to sign Russell to a long dumb deal after so much was made about their management being super into analytics

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Bernier was an unmitigated disaster in goal for a considerable stretch of games that reached almost a full year. Contrary to what many casual observers think, it was not because of the team in front of him. The Leafs lost the most one goal games in the NHL last season despite injuries to key players and icing a team filled with journeymen and minor leaguers. Bernier was responsible for many of those losses because he routinely let in at least 1-2 soft goals in practically every start.

The fact that the Leafs got a conditional pick is a bonus. The real value is not having to retain any of his 4.15 million dollar cap hit.

I hope he can rebound in a low pressure environment as a backup in Anaheim, but from the Leafs perspective, this deal is an absolute gift.

Gardien2945

Feb 1, 2008
I've always liked Jonathan Bernier, and it was great seeing him battle back from a tough start last season.

All the best to him in Anaheim!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Anaheim was the best GA team in the NHL last year. Toronto was the 27th GA team.

It would be hard for Bernier to play any worse than he has in his past 2 years. Maybe he is a west coast guy. But if he had a great year next season, I would not be surprised.

Unlike when he moved from LA to Toronto. It is a lot easier to move from a bad defensive hockey team to good defensive hockey team. Than vice versa.

Quite an interesting dynamic for Bernier and now Anderson finds himself in the position of Bernier a couple of years ago.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Bernier was really shaky for most of the season. The team didn't trust him when he was in net and he let in an easy goal almost every game it seemed like. Not 100% his fault but he had some really awful months as far as his standards go. He got better as the season went on but turned from a horrible goalie to an average goalie. He's got the potential to rebound if he gets his confidence back and I think he'll do much better in a backup role.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if that's as high as it could get, but I'd assume there's relatively lofty requirements for that, like 50 games played.

I would hope so. If that's the case I'm guessing it's Ana 2nd, but that's still a pretty lofty price to pay for an already slightly expensive backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad