Confirmed Trade: [TOR/ANA] Bernier to Anaheim for conditional 2017 pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
The team that played in front of Bernier had no confidence in him. He was mentally weak and could not overcome this glaring deficiency during his tenure as a Leaf. He's definitely not a #1 goalie in the NHL, or at least one that will take you place like the playoffs. I don't think he's valued as a #1 goalie by any GM around the league anymore. He's one of the more skilled goalies in the league, and its sad to see that he could not establish himself with the opportunities given here in Toronto because he was not all there upstairs. He's a good goalie when he's on, but that's basically a crap shoot. Yes, he did have decent stats after his AHL stint, but still constantly let in very questionable goals. His next contract will be paid relevant to a back-up goalie contract, or he might even leave for Russia.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Making space for Russell?

I hope not. Unless he signs for under 3.5 million a year, which I doubt that will happen. Honestly see the Devils signing Russell, as their D-corps is pretty thin with Larsson gone.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Naw, he was a mess. You clearly haven't watched him play and have no clue about the Leafs.

I really wanted him to succeed and after his AHL stint (he had 3 shutouts in a row), I thought he would get some confidence back. Alas, he blew it again. So much so that Babcock treated him like a red-headed step child and didn't even acknowledge him when he pulled him, after, yet, another mental breakdown. Bernier was the Ted Cruz of the NHL- a mess.

Sure. A mess that kept 92 out of 100 shots out of the net. A non-mess version of himself is probably a .950 goalie, so I'm looking forward to that. It's just more narratives about the relatively few goals he was giving up being so bad that him doing exceptionally well otherwise should somehow be overshadowed. That's just subjective. Objectively, he helped his team to stay in games moreso than anything else by January stopping the shots he did at the rate he did.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
Makes me think there going to be another move. There was no real need to move Bernier with only one year left on the contract Has to be setting up for a signing or a trade imo .:popcorn:

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
The only reason why Bernier wasn't traded with Andersen in the same transaction is because of his signing bonus.

I'm indifferent to this trade. It does make our haul from Andersen mildly interesting.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It just goes to show how careful you need to be in evaluating young goalies and how much depends on the team in front of them. Bernier looked really good in LA in a back up role playing on a very strong defensive team. But he looked pretty weak last year in Toronto on a young team with mostly inexperienced defensemen.
Conversely, I remember watching Devan Dubnyk in Edmonton and thinking that he wasn't even an NHL goalie and would end up in Europe. He's since looked very good for the Wild.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Should have included him in the Andersen trade, but meh, w/e. I always like Bernier but I think he faltered heavily under a system that was in dire need of a rebuild, to which it's finally getting. He was another Kessel where in which if he was brought in when the team was ready to pursuing a PO spot or was already firmly established as a contender he would have absolutely thrived.

I hope he does well in Anaheim.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Makes me think there going to be another move. There was no real need to move Bernier with only one year left on the contract Has to be setting up for a signing or a trade imo .:popcorn:

Clears cap they didn't need. I would assume they wouldn't want to be forced to use Horton's LTIR and would prefer to stay a few million under the cap because if they use LTIR to go over the cap then every bonus Matthews, Nylander, Marner and Zaitsev hits would be moved to next year as a cap overage.

If they could stay 3 million under like they are now then those guys can hit 3 million in bonuses and not have a cap overage that needs to be moved to the following year.

It could mean something else is coming, but a more likely scenario is they sign a backup, get the RFA guys inked and try to stay as far under the cap as possible to avoid bonus cap overages carrying over to next year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The ducks lose this deal just by having Bernier you lose this trade the only thing to be decided is to what'd degree you lose this trade that will be determined by what the conditional pick is.

You guys better pray Gibsom never gets hurt for a long time because if he does you guys are screwed.

Bernier is awful he can't play anymore he is finished.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
Clears cap they didn't need. I would assume they wouldn't want to be forced to use Horton's LTIR and would prefer to stay a few million under the cap because if they use LTIR to go over the cap then every bonus Matthews, Nylander, Marner and Zaitsev hits would be moved to next year as a cap overage.

If they could stay 3 million under like they are now then those guys can hit 3 million in bonuses and not have a cap overage that needs to be moved to the following year.

It could mean something else is coming, but a more likely scenario is they sign a backup, get the RFA guys inked and try to stay as far under the cap as possible to avoid bonus cap overages carrying over to next year.

That makes sense.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
The ducks lose this deal just by having Bernier you lose this trade the only thing to be decided is to what'd degree you lose this trade that will be determined by what the conditional pick is.

You guys better pray Gibsom never gets hurt for a long time because if he does you guys are screwed.

Bernier is awful he can't play anymore he is finished.
You said "lose" three times in the first paragraph. Tell us how you really feel?

He is a back-up who cares. Other than people like you who think "winning" a trade is so important before there's any evidence.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Bad trade Leafs, he could be decent this year and you could've gotten a real draft pick at the deadline.

Instead you trade him for nothing and go with sparks as the backup?

Worst trade leafs have done in two years.

Andersen is our starter....we wouldn't be showcasing Bernier.

To those preaching about Bernier's .920 sv% late in the season...care to explain him finishing the season at .908? Possibly his horrific .850% earlier in the season? Before he was demoted to the AHL to pull his head out of his ass? While he was giving up goals from center ice?

Listen, i hope Bernier does well....but lets not pretend he was something he was not while he was here...now that he's gone.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You said "lose" three times in the first paragraph. Tell us how you really feel?

He is a back-up who cares. Other than people like you who think "winning" a trade is so important before there's any evidence.

I saw him play every night for 3 years, he was bad for 2 of them and absolutely disgraceful last season that's all the proof required in this case the consistent downward trend of numbers us enough and not a small downward trend more like a sky diver falling towards earth.

Jonathan Bernier is finished

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad