Rumor: Tony DeAngelo being traded back to Carolina next month but he also could not be.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The purpose of retention is to move the player out and save some cap room.
There's no purpose retaining retention slots that you're probably never going to use.

The most probably other retention would be Atkinson next summer, if he rebounds, with one year left at $5.25M.
TK, Laughton won't need retention, and they're not going to use it on Sanheim.
Maybe Walker at the TDL, but you'd get that slot and TDA's slot back in summer 2024.
And that's about it.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
With ASF saying one of the hang ups was the prospect doesn't have a contract, that it is a center, i would assume it's likely:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The purpose of retention is to move the player out and save some cap room.
There's no purpose retaining retention slots that you're probably never going to use.

The most probably other retention would be Atkinson next summer, if he rebounds, with one year left at $5.25M.
TK, Laughton won't need retention, and they're not going to use it on Sanheim.
Maybe Walker at the TDL, but you'd get that slot and TDA's slot back in summer 2024.
And that's about it.
Yeah this weird obsession about holding on to retention spots is weird. I suppose there could be a need for one at some point in the future, but if we have a use for it now why would we wait? Especially on one-year deals like TDA that we would get back next summer.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Yeah this weird obsession about holding on to retention spots is weird. I suppose there could be a need for one at some point in the future, but if we have a use for it now why would we wait? Especially on one-year deals like TDA that we would get back next summer.
Ask the Kraken and Vegas about the value of retention slots. Instead, Kevin Hayes clogs up one of ours for 3 seasons with a 6th round pick as compensation.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

Konecny at 50% retained doesn't help his trade value?

or are we only selling off secondary pieces Torts doesnt like, and calling it a rebuild. - because it sure feels like that.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

If you think not wanting to waste retention spots when you don't have to is a weird obsession - I don't know what to tell you.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Konecny at 50% retained doesn't help his trade value?

or are we only selling off secondary pieces Torts doesnt like, and calling it a rebuild. - because it sure feels like that.
Not that much. He's a bargain at his current price, and we can always take a bad contract back at $2M or so, like we did in the Provorov trade..

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm rooting for Rizzo, trade a racist for a player with the name of a racist, very fitting.

Rizzo would be a good fit, at worst, a great AHL player who'd be a good mentor for young prospects marinating there.
At best, a smart, high character bottom six forward.
He's having a great college career, will it translate or is he like Marody, who just lacked the skills to excel at the next level.

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
Ask the Kraken and Vegas about the value of retention slots. Instead, Kevin Hayes clogs up one of ours for 3 seasons with a 6th round pick as compensation.
The retention was financially about equivalent to a buyout. So in that context it was either one or the other since both have caps on the number that can be used.

Of course, there’s the argument that Hayes didn’t need to be traded now, that he could have performed well enough to draw interest at the trade deadline and in a worse-case scenario knocked a year off a future buyout, but that wasn’t done to dampen tensions and appease the coach. It undoubtedly smells like that. Or maybe Briere just felt clearing the $3.5M and the conflict from the room was easier than starting new trouble with his coach and blocking players. The somber part is that it’s hard to get excited about much because there’s so much Fletcher stuff to clean up. The rest of the Metro couldn’t ever do as much damage to the Flyers as they did to themselves by hiring him then not acting as he made all these ridiculous decisions. Al-Qaeda would have done less damage to the US had bin Laden been elected president.

Edit: Apologies for posting on their handling of Hayes in a TDA thread. Fog of war and all that…

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad