Rumor: Tony DeAngelo being traded back to Carolina next month but he also could not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Carolina knows the rules. Both teams probably felt the league would employ common sense.

We don't have to buy him out, just waive him to the AHL, if someone claims him, no problem, if not the cap hit is $3.75M, the same as buying him out but all in this year.
“Common sense” is how you get a player tossing the ball to the ground on a kickoff in a playoff game and having it recovered by the other team and the league deciding that the receiving team gets to keep the ball.

Why is this one-sided in not knowing the rules?

Sounds like neither team knew the rules or thought it would be a problem. And it does seem ridiculous that it's a problem.
I’m not concerned about whether the Hurricanes knew or not. The point was in reference that it would look bad on the Canes if they backed out.

Totally ridiculous that a rule set in place is being enforced, you’re right. The Flyers should be treated differently.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think the Flyers knew the rule, they just figured their situation made it obvious that it wasn’t, for good reason.

Would’ve been interesting to see how this would play at the trade deadline.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
“Common sense” is how you get a player tossing the ball to the ground on a kickoff in a playoff game and having it recovered by the other team and the league deciding that the receiving team gets to keep the ball.

I’m not concerned about whether the Hurricanes knew or not. The point was in reference that it would look bad on the Canes if they backed out.

Totally ridiculous that a rule set in place is being enforced, you’re right. The Flyers should be treated differently.
Aren't there two teams involved? Why is it only one team's fault for not knowing the rule? Apparently neither knew it. Or they thought the league would waive it.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Aren't there two teams involved? Why is it only one team's fault for not knowing the rule? Apparently neither knew it. Or they thought the league would waive it.
Again, I don’t care about the Hurricanes and whether they knew and attempted to skirt the rules or if they didn’t know.

The point is that the Hurricanes are under no obligation under threat of poor optics to complete a deal.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

maybe they should have a jersey nite cuz Flyers deserve "different rules"..

oh wait...🤫

The NBA also has a rule that you can't re-acquire someone you traded or waived for a full calendar. No exceptions and its easier to just keep it that way.
a rule has to be black or white.. otherwise its not a rule at all

Columbus Hockey Dad

Oct 30, 2018
What the hell are you going on about?

The Flyers did attempt to trade the guy and thought they could skirt rules or they just didn’t know. That IS the Flyers’ fault.
Or they thought, logically, that it wouldn't apply since he both signed with us, and was acquired by a completely different GM.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Because certain posters here will twist EVERYTHING into being the Flyers fault and evidence that the Flyers are a dumpster fire.
It's pathetic.

What the hell are you going on about?

The Flyers did attempt to trade the guy and thought they could skirt rules or they just didn’t know. That IS the Flyers’ fault.
How is it the Flyers' fault more than the Hurricanes' fault? It's absurd that you are placing all of the blame on one of the teams. Talk about agenda.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I can't blame the league for enforcing the rule, but it is also clear that this case is neither the spirit of the rule nor attemped circumvention.

The league is run by crusty old un-fun f***s who you know are all embittered by Carolina being "disrespectful jerks." And also grew up being told to hate th Flyers.

It's hard to believe the league pulls this in an identical situation involving O6 teams. Yes, the rules are the rules, but the NHL is selective.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It's pathetic.

How is it the Flyers' fault more than the Hurricanes' fault? It's absurd that you are placing all of the blame on one of the teams. Talk about agenda.
Tony DeAngelo is a Flyer and, once again, I don't give a shit about the Hurricanes and what their level of blame is.

How many times does it need to be said?

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
It feels like the NHL is way too vague with some of this stuff. NBA would just give you a strict "ok, it's 6 months from this date. 12 months from this date before player can be re-acquired... No exceptions"

boom. done.

Also wish the NHL just adopted the NBA rules on injured players to completely do away with the sleezy ltir manipulation.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It would be bad optics for Carolina to back out of an agreed upon deal just b/c the league insisted the deal couldn't be finalized until July 9.
Carolina doesn't have to carry a cap hit until then, so they have no opportunity costs.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Who gives a shit that Fletcher signed them to that contract. Every other thing he did nullified any good that man brought to the organization. Why are people so hell bent at defending him or ever management? You have no vested interest in it so it has to be just a troll

Columbus Hockey Dad

Oct 30, 2018
Who gives a shit that Fletcher signed them to that contract. Every other thing he did nullified any good that man brought to the organization. Why are people so hell bent at defending him or ever management? You have no vested interest in it so it has to be just a troll
I'm curious why pointing out that CF signed a good contract means it's defending him against the opinion that he overall sucked. Two things can be true at once...he signed TK and Laughton to good contracts...and he sucked overall as a GM. People can't seem to grasp this simple concept.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It would be bad optics for Carolina to back out of an agreed upon deal just b/c the league insisted the deal couldn't be finalized until July 9.
Carolina doesn't have to carry a cap hit until then, so they have no opportunity costs.

No it isn't. Nobody would give a shit except the Flyers, and Carolina knows th Flyers are a desperate and badly managed team that presents no obstacle to them at all in any fashion so why would they care?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My guess is, the league will sign off on the trade in Nashville. It shouldn't be hard to make a sound argument that this is obviously not cap circumvention.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Common sense and the NHL once again not on the same page. This trade has nothing to do with why the rule was put in place and both teams could just wait until July to do it again.

There wasn't some master plan to help Carolina with the cap where Fletcher knowingly gave up a 2nd and 3rd, paid Deangelo 5 million, and then a year later made the person who took over for him take a blood oath that he would then flip him back to Carolina at 50% retention.

It would be obvious to a 12 year old what actually happened here and why the league should let the trade go through. This is like giving someone a speeding ticket on the highway for going 56 in a 55 zone. Mickey FN Mouse.

Reactions: renberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad