Rumor: Tony DeAngelo being traded back to Carolina next month but he also could not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Apparently the problem here is that the league isn’t convinced that this isn’t cap circumvention, since DeAngelo was on the Hurricanes within the last year (makes the trade deadline rumors more interesting). The argument the teams are trying to make is that not only was it the Flyers, not Hurricanes, who wrote the contract, it was a different GM who did it.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Apparently the problem here is that the league isn’t convinced that this isn’t cap circumvention, since DeAngelo was on the Hurricanes within the last year (makes the trade deadline rumors more interesting). The argument the teams are trying to make is that not only was it the Flyers, not Hurricanes, who wrote the contract, it was a different GM who did it.

But ASF said it was ironed out!

Reactions: Cody Webster

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The TDA experiment is the perfect microcosm to the whole shitty Fletcher era. They got caved from an asset standpoint in the initial deal. TDA was an abdominal cultural fit. And now they can't move him back to Carolina (with retained salary to boot) because the league thinks his time in Philly was akin to burying a guy in the minors for a year. Just truly unbelievable incompetence all around.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Luckily we covered our ass by saying that he might not be.

im-playing-both-sides-both-sides.gif
RahPvUGMW0Nup6NBV-l6Okgr9M0_ZC1OS3_wwNG3SE4.jpg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

That's hilarious. Fletcher's trade was so terrible, that the Flyers trying to get out of it after a year looks like cap circumvention.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The TDA experiment is the perfect microcosm to the whole shitty Fletcher era. They got caved from an asset standpoint in the initial deal. TDA was an abdominal cultural fit. And now they can't move him back to Carolina (with retained salary to boot) because the league thinks his time in Philly was akin to burying a guy in the minors for a year. Just truly unbelievable incompetence all around.
I was told those assets didn't matter because we got some back when trading Braun, MacEwen, etc...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But ASF said it was ironed out!
Well, between the teams. The League is being stupid.
I was told those assets didn't matter because we got some back when trading Braun, MacEwen, etc...
You were told they were of minor importance.
1sts are far more valuable than 2nd rd picks, and the difference between 3rd and 4th rd picks is much smaller.
Doesn't mean they don't have value, just not a lot of value - not enough for hair pulling and self-flagellation.

The TDA move was an overpay (probably 3rd and 4th and 2yr/$6M would have been a proper valuation), but it wasn't the end of the world.
Risto on the other hand , , ,

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Well, between the teams. The League is being stupid.

You were told they were of minor importance.
1sts are far more valuable than 2nd rd picks, and the difference between 3rd and 4th rd picks is much smaller.
Doesn't mean they don't have value, just not a lot of value - not enough for hair pulling and self-flagellation.

The TDA move was an overpay (probably 3rd and 4th and 2yr/$6M would have been a proper valuation), but it wasn't the end of the world.
Risto on the other hand , , ,
The issue wasn’t ironed out if the league says it’s a no go.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Is this a real-life version of the Bill Murray movie The Man Who Knew Too Little? "No, Gary, this wasn't cap circumvention. Chuck Fletcher is just that dumb."

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If they've agreed on the terms and it's just the league, then I'm pretty confident it'll go through on the 9th, Carolina would look pretty bad if they pulled out b/c the league forced a delay and they decided to do something else, Not enough at stake for bad optics and a reputation for going back on your word.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If they've agreed on the terms and it's just the league, then I'm pretty confident it'll go through on the 9th, Carolina would look pretty bad if they pulled out b/c the league forced a delay and they decided to do something else, Not enough at stake for bad optics and a reputation for going back on your word.

Carolina wouldn't look bad at all rofl

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Or maybe they don’t want to wait to deal with a team that thinks they can skirt the rules or even worse doesn’t know the rules.

The buyout window closes also.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Or maybe they don’t want to wait to deal with a team that thinks they can skirt the rules or even worse doesn’t know the rules.

Carolina knows the rules. Both teams probably felt the league would employ common sense.

We don't have to buy him out, just waive him to the AHL, if someone claims him, no problem, if not the cap hit is $3.75M, the same as buying him out but all in this year.

Reactions: renberg

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Why is this one-sided in not knowing the rules?

Sounds like neither team knew the rules or thought it would be a problem. And it does seem ridiculous that it's a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad