Rumor: Tony DeAngelo being traded back to Carolina next month but he also could not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Is there a clause in the CBA that says that is the case or did they just think “oh they’ll let us do this because we’re special?”

That is what they were hoping for.
I haven't the time to go trawling the CBA for this, but somewhere else on the site, someone who had done so indicated that the rules around this specified that an SPC couldn't be returned to the previous team on a retained salary deal, not a player. If that is the case (again, not going to go looking right now), then it's reasonable to argue that DeAngelo, who is now on a different SPC than the one that had expired when we acquired his rights, should be able to be moved to Carolina.

Is there something else in the CBA that says "player" instead of "SPC"? I don't know. Could well be. But if the rules explicitly state SPC, then DeAngelo is on a new SPC, and that one should be tradeable.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Why can't one of these writers actually cite the CBA language at issue here?
I haven't the time to go trawling the CBA for this, but somewhere else on the site, someone who had done so indicated that the rules around this specified that an SPC couldn't be returned to the previous team on a retained salary deal, not a player. If that is the case (again, not going to go looking right now), then it's reasonable to argue that DeAngelo, who is now on a different SPC than the one that had expired when we acquired his rights, should be able to be moved to Carolina.

Is there something else in the CBA that says "player" instead of "SPC"? I don't know. Could well be. But if the rules explicitly state SPC, then DeAngelo is on a new SPC, and that one should be tradeable.
This is what I'm wondering. Deangelo was an RFA at the time, unsigned. Now, Carolina had qualified him, which could muddy the waters around the SPC vs player bit. But it's hard for me to jump on the Flyers for trying to make a trade if it's the league misinterpreting its own rules. I'll look into this this evening unless the actual rule gets pulled out before then.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I'm not a CBA expert but i'm going to assume since DeAngelo was extended it's the same SPC or it's just as simple as #4 since he was on the Hurricanes' "Reserve List."

ARTICLE 50 50.5-50.5
Under no circumstances may a Club:

(1) Have in its Averaged Club Salary in any single League Year amounts attributable to more than three (3) Retained Salary SPCs for Players that the Club has Traded to other Club(s); or

(2) Retain more than an amount equal to fifteen (15) percent of the Upper Limit for that League Year in allocated Averaged Amounts (as measured based on the full-season Averaged Amount of a Retained Salary SPC and calculated based on the maximum potential Averaged Amount of a Retained Salary SPC) (e.g., 15 percent of $70.2 million or $10.53 million in the 2012-13 League Year; 15 percent of $64.3 million or $9.645 million in the 2013-14 League Year; or $12 million if the Upper Limit equals $80 million) in the aggregate (i.e., for all such Retained Salary SPCs) in any one League Year; or

(3) Reacquire within one (1) calendar year from the date of that Retained Salary Transaction an SPC the Averaged Amount and Player Salary and Bonuses of which that Club agreed to retain as part of a Retained Salary Transaction;

Illustration: If Club A Trades a Player to Club B and retains 30% of the Averaged Amount of such Player's SPC in a Retained Salary Transaction, Club A cannot reacquire such Player's SPC within one (1) calendar year from the date of the Trade. However, if such Player's Retained 273 ARTICLE 50 50.5-50.5 Salary SPC expires or is otherwise terminated prior to one (1) calendar year from the date of the Trade such that it no longer exists, Club A may reacquire the Player since the Retained Salary SPC no longer exists. or

(4) Reacquire as part of a Retained Salary Transaction the SPC of a Player who was on that Club's Reserve List within the past calendar year;

Illustration: If Club A Trades the SPC of a Player to Club B (the "Initial Trade"), Club B cannot subsequently Trade an SPC of such Player back to Club A within one (1) calendar year from the date of the Initial Trade and retain a portion of the Averaged Amount of that SPC pursuant to a Retained Salary Transaction. However, Club B may Trade an SPC of the Player back to Club A within one (1) calendar year from the date of the Initial Trade if Club B does not retain any portion of such Player's SPC.

It's on Page 273 (written on the page) or page 293 of the PDF and can be found here:

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I'm not a CBA expert but i'm going to assume since DeAngelo was extended it's the same SPC.
No. An extension is a new SPC. The key language is this part:

(4) Reacquire as part of a Retained Salary Transaction the SPC of a Player who was on that Club's Reserve List within the past calendar year;

The key isn't the SPC, it's the reserve list. Thanks for looking.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
No. An extension is a new SPC. The key language is this part:

The key isn't the SPC, it's the reserve list. Thanks for looking.
Yep, so it's seemingly quite cut and dry.

I've been buckled in for a week now though so i'm not really sure if i'm just hallucinating.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
So not a single Flyers insider was able to extract the nugget of information that the league was holding up this trade for cap circumvention reasons? Unreal.

giphy.webp
It's because they're all hacks. Can someone with a Twitter tweet this at them all? That in 2 days they couldn't figure out it was the league holding up the trade, and that they're all hacks?

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Watched the Crossing Broad Cast today and ASF was on..he mentioned there was actually two hang ups on this deal, the other being the prospect from Carolina did not have a contract apparently?? So they needed to address that.

Says the League is meeting with Carolina and Philly at the draft to try and come to a conclusion on this, otherwise the trade will happen on the 9th.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad