Rumor: Tony DeAngelo being traded back to Carolina next month but he also could not be.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Using a retention slot has plenty to do with Hayes
Oh ok. So when someone posts something about using a retention spot on TDA in the TDA thread I should not have responded to that but instead should have instead known that this was code for Hayes, or just ignored it and given my thoughts on Hayes (which I have previously and agree that a sixth for him was not enough). Sorry about that.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
The major problem with this logic is that in order to maximize retention spots, we need players that have contracts that need to be retained.
This is categorically incorrect. There just needs to be a player somewhere that requires retention and the team with the player can't do it themselves for many different reasons.

And this Rizzo guy is not an asset to lose sleep over possibly missing out on. Just sign him when Carolina inevitably doesn't themselves.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
That's pretty wild. You'd take longer retentions on guys with actual value who don't need to be retained on and have dead cap space than get an asset essentially for nothing (thus clogging up retention slots for years to come, many in some cases like Sanheim). And again...WE STILL HAVE A SPOT IF WE RETAIN ON TDA AND THAT SPOT BECOMES AVAILABLE AFTER THIS COMING SEASON. You want to be a hardline on using retention spots but you want to retain on an 8 year deal, 5 year deal, 3 year deal, 2 year deal, and 1 year deal on guys with positive value and reasonable contracts. THAT is bad asset management.
::sigh::

I tried my best.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This is categorically incorrect. There just needs to be a player somewhere that requires retention and the team with the player can't do it themselves for many different reasons.

And this Rizzo guy is not an asset to lose sleep over possibly missing out on. Just sign him when Carolina inevitably doesn't themselves.
It's not though. These hypothetical players are in that category. We don't have them right now and there is no guarantee there will be one, let alone two that we'll be able to acquire.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
It's not though. These hypothetical players are in that category. We don't have them right now and there is no guarantee there will be one, let alone two that we'll be able to acquire.

A retention spot could be used on Konecny. That’s the first example.

One could use it on either Laughton or Hart to maximize value as well.

The Flyers are too dogshit stupid as a franchise to ever even consider this.

BritainStix

Oct 20, 2016

You don't need to retain on any of the players you have listed.

Reactions: Lord Defect

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

None of these players need retention. Their value is already maximized and you'll have multiple teams interested in them without having to retain on them

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you have sufficient cap room, you can work around contracts.
Retention is primarily used for overpriced contracts, because it simplifies the dynamics of a trade.
For a player who is already a bargain (TK, Laughton), it's more common to take back a bad contract to sweeten the deal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
1687957355026-gif.722511

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
Rathje got a bad rap here. It sucks his back went out but he by far, got the best out of Joni while he was still healthy
Rathje was trash in San Jose from day one until the end. Nobody in San Jose was sorry to see him go. He was ok at making a first outlet pass, and lousy at everything else except for clutching and grabbing. One of my least favorite players of all time. I have lived in San Jose a long time, and saw way too much of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad