Tomas Jurco (Re-signed to two year deal, post #301)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Why does Jurco get a free pass when he's not scoring when others like Franzen become the scapegoat? Is it because he's young? Because he's not "lazy" like Franzen?

Because hes not lazy is a big part, hes always finishing his checks and playing hard with energy out there. Franzen is also a guy who has shown what hes capable of when hes not being lazy. Franzen can take over a game as well as Datsyuk or Z can but hes just too lazy to do it.

Jurco doesnt get a free pass, lots of people are down on him and his lack of scoring but Mule deserves the treatment hes been getting

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Because hes not lazy is a big part, hes always finishing his checks and playing hard with energy out there. Franzen is also a guy who has shown what hes capable of when hes not being lazy. Franzen can take over a game as well as Datsyuk or Z can but hes just too lazy to do it.

Jurco doesnt get a free pass, lots of people are down on him and his lack of scoring but Mule deserves the treatment hes been getting

I think you're being too kind on Jurco. I think if he doesn't take huge strides next year (and I'm taking at least 15 goals) he'll be in trouble. I know he's young, but he'll go from a guy looking like top 6 potential to bottom 6 grinder.

Franzen has been incredibly consistent in his career, people just expect his peak at all times.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think you're being too kind on Jurco. I think if he doesn't take huge strides next year (and I'm taking at least 15 goals) he'll be in trouble. I know he's young, but he'll go from a guy looking like top 6 potential to bottom 6 grinder.

Franzen has been incredibly consistent in his career, people just expect his peak at all times.

Jurco is only 22. If he doesnt score 15 next year that doesnt mean hes gonna all of a sudden look like a bottom 6er. He had 8 goals last year as a rookie in 36 games, the difference this year is hes buried on the fourth line. Is he having a great year? No, but when given scoring minutes last year he showed some offensive potential to go along with using his size well.

Most peopl were calling Abby a fourth liner at best the last couple seasons and now look at him, definitely not just a bottom 6 grinder. Jurco has shown more offensive potential than Abby ever did, people just need to have patience

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Jurco hasn't even played a full season in the NHL yet. If he wasn't helping the team like management and Babcock wanted he'd be back in Grand Rapids by now. Clearly they feel is strong two-way play is helping him stay in the lineup despite not scoring much.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
I think people are being too hard on Jurco. He's been great the last couple of games. In fact I think it's about time for him to replace Glendening on that third line with Sheahan and Weiss. I still think he should have started the year in GR, but it's way too early to be calling him a bust. As for him vs Franzen, that's just a ridiculous debate. Those two are entirely different animals.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Jurco is only 22. If he doesnt score 15 next year that doesnt mean hes gonna all of a sudden look like a bottom 6er. He had 8 goals last year as a rookie in 36 games, the difference this year is hes buried on the fourth line. Is he having a great year? No, but when given scoring minutes last year he showed some offensive potential to go along with using his size well.

Jurco actually spent more than half his time on the 3rd line. Not the fourth. Jurco doesnt get a free pass and he shouldnt. Id prefer him to Andersson on the 4th line wing with Franzen taking Glendening spot on the 3rd wing IF he ever comes back.

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Jurco actually spent more than half his time on the 3rd line. Not the fourth. Jurco doesnt get a free pass and he shouldnt. Id prefer him to Andersson on the 4th line wing with Franzen taking Glendening spot on the 3rd wing IF he ever comes back.

Jurco's been given many opportunities and hasn't been able to cash in.

Let's keep in mind these facts. Jurco has played about as many games now as he did last year. He has less goals, points, hits, blocked shots, and a higher Corsi/Fenwick despite playing a fourth line role many games.

Some may argue that Jurco isn't getting as much ice time but that is also false. He has gotten on average the same amount of ice time and on many occasions played in a middle 6 role. There's no reason for a rookie to decline like that, especially seeing that we have more healthy players that can help him produce.

Jurco has been my whipping boy this season. I'm hoping that we package him with something while the value is still there.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Jurco, if anything, provides skill, speed and physicality to the 3rd or 4th lines. If he doesn't hit his projection as a scorer, he still can be an important role player. Much more than Andersson.

I'd give him a few more seasons before writing him off. Right now, however, he adds a dynamic (IMO) to the bottom 6 that is only matched by Helm and Glendening. But I think he's more skilled, and more physical than these two. Almost as fast.

I think he's doing just fine. Some players just grow at different speeds. You can tell it's there for Jurco. Just how much of that skill will he harness? That's what I'm excited about.

I don't think he'll hit Nyquist, Tartar levels as initially predicted. Myabe produce at the rate Flips was when he was here? 30-35, high of 40 point guy. Playing on the 3rd line/2nd line here and there. That's where I think he'll end up.

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Jurco, if anything, provides skill, speed and physicality to the 3rd or 4th lines. If he doesn't hit his projection as a scorer, he still can be an important role player. Much more than Andersson.

I'd give him a few more seasons before writing him off. Right now, however, he adds a dynamic (IMO) to the bottom 6 that is only matched by Helm and Glendening. But I think he's more skilled, and more physical than these two. Almost as fast.

I think he's doing just fine. Some players just grow at different speeds. You can tell it's there for Jurco. Just how much of that skill will he harness? That's what I'm excited about.

I don't think he'll hit Nyquist, Tartar levels as initially predicted. Myabe produce at the rate Flips was when he was here? 30-35, high of 40 point guy. Playing on the 3rd line/2nd line here and there. That's where I think he'll end up.

What would you rather have? A bottom 6 scorer when you have options in the minors, or possibly a top 4 defenseman? If we bundle Jurco while the value is still high, we could have a crack at a true defender to round off our team. Plus, I really don't have a problem with Andersson because he can play PK and will be cheap his entire career.

Let's hypothetically say Jurco doesn't develop much more and will be a bottom 6 guy for his career. At that point, I think that guys like Callahan, Ferraro, Bertuzzi, and Athanasiou get a chance for the spot. Jurco would still have the most value out of all of them and could be traded for a much more needed item like a defender. You have to give to get and it's just not worth risking trading Tats/Nyquist if we can still bundle Jurco.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Used to like to use Voracek as a comparison for Jurco, but boy did that guy's career sky rocket. Definitely no longer a realistic comparison for Tomas.

Almost think he could be a guy like Kulemin, who is very versatile, and can play anywhere in your line-up. Definitely still has more developing to do, and could become a very good player still, but just a thought there.

Either way, he is very young still, so definitely no reason to give up. I still see a lot of little things that he does that give me hope in him as a player.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Jurco is very, very young. Not worried about him at all yet.

Yep. He should be overripened in the minors but somehow Holland decided a different path with him. I think he would be scoring Tatar-like numbers (or maybe better than Tatar did at Griffs) in AHL if he would be there at the moment.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Jurco is very, very young. Not worried about him at all yet.

Yeah he is the youngest player to hit the wings since around '95 or so. He made it onto the team at 21. Let that sink in red wing fans. He was around 1.1 ppg at the ahl that season as well if he were there now wowza.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Jurco was always slated as a project player. A guy with stupid good hands but an incomplete game. A "steal" of the 2nd round because he had such highly perceived raw offensive ability. No surprise it's taking him more time to round out his game, but if he does, watch out.

And if you're going to have a team and system turn a raw offensive talent into a complete player, it's hard to do better than the Red Wings. Look at the strides Tatar has made.

Hell, even look at Hudler. He may not have fit the scheme perfectly, but I think it's undeniable how much playing in Detroit helped his career after leaving Detroit. Just my opinion. Calgary fans have consistently praised his smarts with the puck and it's like "Huh, yeah, I guess we take that for granted."

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I'm not worried about Jurco. Last year was an adreneline run. This year has been a bit rough but he is a guy that usually takes some time adjust to the skill level before he starts producing. He was like that in the chl and ahl.

At worst I think he ends up as an abby type complimentary player. He can play physical and is pretty good on the cycle. At best he has the highest ceiling of all the young forwards on this team.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Jurco is playing better than he did last season, the only issue is the puck isn't going in for him this year (as noted by his shooting percentage). He's much better defensively and reliable. Once he gets a few years older and increased minutes his offensive game will start to take off again.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

Most peopl were calling Abby a fourth liner at best the last couple seasons and now look at him, definitely not just a bottom 6 grinder. Jurco has shown more offensive potential than Abby ever did, people just need to have patience

Jurco has every tool you look for. He simply needs to learn to create his open ice at the NHL level. He gets nothing from playing in the AHL like other guys. He's already physically mature and he still contributes in the bottom 6. At some point obviously if he doesnt start scoring, you start looking the other way. The thing is though, he's the type of guy who is just going to break out overnight. And yes, he's only 22. We all need to remember that.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
Jurco is playing better than he did last season, the only issue is the puck isn't going in for him this year (as noted by his shooting percentage). He's much better defensively and reliable. Once he gets a few years older and increased minutes his offensive game will start to take off again.

I had to look it up. Seriously 3% on 66 shots? And that doesn't even count posts, right?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I had to look it up. Seriously 3% on 66 shots? And that doesn't even count posts, right?

He has had ultimately worst puck luck from our team at this season. Jurco#s scoring chances are from great areas where should bury them. Sometimes, pucks just won't go in even on a long run. But for my eye-test, he plays wit a right way and that's the only what matters. Some day, somewehere, somehow, the pucks will start going in, just like at last season. He is a smart goalscorer, he'll find a way, if guys like Abdelkader can find a way. Let's just be patient.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don't really agree with what you guys are saying. I see a player who is making bad decisions with the puck in the offensive zone consistently and that is the reason he isn't putting up any kind of points. I don't have the stats to support it so I very well could be wrong but it seems like he's been terrible for possession this year.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I don't really agree with what you guys are saying. I see a player who is making bad decisions with the puck in the offensive zone consistently and that is the reason he isn't putting up any kind of points. I don't have the stats to support it so I very well could be wrong but it seems like he's been terrible for possession this year.

You would be wrong, Jurco's Corsi is very good, and so is his Corsi rel. This SHOULD be the case since he gets some very sheltered minutes. So considering how sheltered his minutes are, his play falls in line with what most people in this thread are saying. Definitely the driving force of any offense on that 4th line.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
I believe that he has hit about three or four posts this season that I remember. I know for sure of one against Anaheim and one against Phoenix. And there might be more but I have missed a handful of games this year. But what other posters have already said is true, Jurco seems to take a season or two to adjust to each league he is in, and by NHL standards he is still pretty young so he can still improve. I do wish he would shoot a little more though. I think some people have a little to high of expectations for Jurco though, I expected him to produce about the same as last year, and he kind of is and people are getting impatient with him. But really a .3 PPG player is essentially what abby was until this year, that's not really a bad player to have in your bottom six. But of course I hope Jurco improves to be a better producer than that, I believe his ceiling is a 30G,30A power forward, he has all the tools.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
He has had ultimately worst puck luck from our team at this season. Jurco#s scoring chances are from great areas where should bury them. Sometimes, pucks just won't go in even on a long run. But for my eye-test, he plays wit a right way and that's the only what matters. Some day, somewehere, somehow, the pucks will start going in, just like at last season. He is a smart goalscorer, he'll find a way, if guys like Abdelkader can find a way. Let's just be patient.

Oh, I agree he will get some sooner, or later. If he can stay patient his entire game should benefit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad