Tomas Jurco (Re-signed to two year deal, post #301)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Jurco does a whole lot right, but he's snake bitten. Only Andy has a lower shooting %. Only a matter of time before Tomas breaks through.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't really agree with what you guys are saying. I see a player who is making bad decisions with the puck in the offensive zone consistently and that is the reason he isn't putting up any kind of points. I don't have the stats to support it so I very well could be wrong but it seems like he's been terrible for possession this year.

I am a bit confused by this comment. Are you sure that you are talking about Jurco? If anything, he makes very, very conservative plays with the puck and is somewhat quick to move it off to his teammates. I think that this is probably the biggest complaint that some have with his play. I notice him moving the puck out to the points a lot (not unlike Abby). I guess I am not entirely sure what you are expecting or hoping to see from him in the offensive zone.

If anything, I think guys like Jurco and Abby create much more possession than they are given credit for (at least in the subjective eye test sense). They are quickish on the fore-check, don't hesitate to use their body to gain possession and win far more than their share of battles for dumped or chipped pucks.

Overclass*

I can't be the only one who has been very impressed with Jurco the past few weeks. His skill is starting to shine through again, and he very well may be our second most physical forward. He's had a hell of a sophomore slump, but the last few weeks have made me regain faith that he can be a good player in this league. I think next year he will rebound, and wouldn't put 20 goals out of the question. He is just unbelievably snake bit

Puddles

Mar 18, 2013
I don't think snake bit is the right term. If he were snakebit, he'd be getting tons of chances, hitting a bunch of posts, and getting unlucky deflections on good opportunities. Jurco rarely shoots the puck. Granted I've missed the last 3games.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Jurco does a whole lot right, but he's snake bitten. Only Andy has a lower shooting %. Only a matter of time before Tomas breaks through.

I don't think snake bit is the right term. If he were snakebit, he'd be getting tons of chances, hitting a bunch of posts, and getting unlucky deflections on good opportunities. Jurco rarely shoots the puck. Granted I've missed the last 3games.

He's not snakebit like Puddles said, he doesn't shoot the puck at all. He barely gets 1 shot a game. That type of play is going to get him out of the lineup next year if he doesn't figure out that the coach wants him to shoot more.

Overclass*

Those 3 games may very well have been his best 3 games of the season.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I still love Jurco and think he has the potential to be a dynamic top 6 power forward. However, I wouldn't mind moving him if it brings back a legit top 4 d-man.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
I still love Jurco and think he has the potential to be a dynamic top 6 power forward. However, I wouldn't mind moving him if it brings back a legit top 4 d-man.

I think so too but if he doesn't I feel like he will always be more than welcome on the 4th line.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He's not snakebit like Puddles said, he doesn't shoot the puck at all. He barely gets 1 shot a game. That type of play is going to get him out of the lineup next year if he doesn't figure out that the coach wants him to shoot more.

To add to that. It's not like he's got a fantastic shot or anything. Many of them are kinda weak.

But he is doing a lot of good things out there. He may take an Abdelkader path. Grind for a few years then transition to a bigger role with better linemates. I think though he's shown a few glimpses recently of that high end skill which would put him above what Abby is capable of.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
To add to that. It's not like he's got a fantastic shot or anything. Many of them are kinda weak.

But he is doing a lot of good things out there. He may take an Abdelkader path. Grind for a few years then transition to a bigger role with better linemates. I think though he's shown a few glimpses recently of that high end skill which would put him above what Abby is capable of.

I actually think his shot is underrated if anything. I really like his release. I understand, however, the plays that shaped your opinion. The bigger issue for him is getting into good scoring position with the puck. He hasn't found a way to cross that river yet.

I agree though that he is doing a lot of things very well and working really hard. This is the best is skating has ever looked. He has also been effective on the fore check and has been winning more than his share of board battles. Call me an optimist, but I feel that his current play says more about his floor than his ceiling.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Jurco's been playing a better lately but he's not going to produce much getting 4th line minutes and no PP time while playing with guys like Miller, Glendening and Joker

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I actually think his shot is underrated if anything. I really like his release. I understand, however, the plays that shaped your opinion. The bigger issue for him is getting into good scoring position with the puck. He hasn't found a way to cross that river yet.

I agree though that he is doing a lot of things very well and working really hard. This is the best is skating has ever looked. He has also been effective on the fore check and has been winning more than his share of board battles. Call me an optimist, but I feel that his current play says more about his floor than his ceiling.

yeah, agreed.

i really don't see him becoming lesser player than abdelkader.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Yeah, I agree. He's working out the basics of being an NHLer under Babcock. He's already as good a player as Kopecky was who's gone on to have a 500 game NHL career. At some point in the next season or two its all going to click, he's going to get his opportunity in the top nine, winner winner chicken dinner.

As BPP said, playing with Miller and Glendening, and with how Babs like the 4th line to play, point scoring opportunities are going to be limited.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Bump.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but what are your thoughts on Jurco going forward?

He's not producing, and at the same time being put in a spot where he can't really show much.

Does Detroit trade him or keep him?

Proposals? Screw off Detroit won't trade him?

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
For now, they keep him. Send him down as soon as Helm comes back to help the Griffins push for the Cup. After that, we'll see how to go from there.
Next season he should be better off, if he sticks to his development. Not worrying at all. Before all that: He's given a great opportunity on Wednesday.
Hope he makes the best out of it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
See: career trajectory of Franzen

38bcb36.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Think he's doing alright for his minutes, the goals will come eventually. His shooting % cant stay that low forever.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Think he's doing alright for his minutes, the goals will come eventually. His shooting % cant stay that low forever.

Wow I can't believe his shots/60 is that high. I do think that his Corsi numbers show how much he has improved defensively over the year. Though playing with Miller and Glendening has certainly helped with his Corsi%. He wouldn't have been on the team this entire year if Babcock and Holland were not pleased with his improvements on defense and his work on the fourth line this year will likely benefit him for the rest of his career.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Playing with Glendening tends to hurt ones Corsi%

I was referring to UA Corsi%. I wonder what Glendening's is. I'd assume he has a good UA Corsi.

Edit: Never mind. I figured all of his defensive zone starts would have accounted for his poor Corsi numbers but that didn't seem to be the case.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad