Tomas Jurco (Re-signed to two year deal, post #301)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Didn't like him on the fourth line at first but it has worked out so far. Having him down there gives us four lines that have the ability to score a goal. Wouldn't mind him in Abby's place if Pulkinnen is not called up assuming Abby isn't able to go Tuesday.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Didn't like him on the fourth line at first but it has worked out so far. Having him down there gives us four lines that have the ability to score a goal. Wouldn't mind him in Abby's place if Pulkinnen is not called up assuming Abby isn't able to go Tuesday.

I was cautiously optimistic about Jurco on the 4th line, so I'm glad to see it's working out well. He'll get into a scorer's role eventually, but for now, this is good experience for him.

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
What is it, 8 points in 8 games now?

EDIT: My mistake, I thought he had an assist today.

Initially it was given to him but later on they changed the line to just Pav getting an unassited goal =(.

Can anybody tell me what parts of Jurco's game has been progressing? Can't really watch his progression so if anyone can put it into words. It would be greatly appreciated.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Initially it was given to him but later on they changed the line to just Pav getting an unassited goal =(.

Can anybody tell me what parts of Jurco's game has been progressing? Can't really watch his progression so if anyone can put it into words. It would be greatly appreciated.

I watch a few games, but not very closely.

Jurco's shot selection seems to be improving. As in he is more accurate, and shoots when there is traffic, its how he has been getting several assists. He is solid on the boards, but the "skill" level of his game is not where i think many posters on here think it should be. Once he gets really comfortable, he might expand a bit. If anything its the opposite of Tatar. Tatar needs to play more boring and safe. Jurco needs to skill it up a little. But at the same time, he is the best plus minus on the team. So as long as he is + when he is on the ice, I am not really complaining. Others may have better details than this.

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014

Jurco's shot selection seems to be improving. As in he is more accurate, and shoots when there is traffic, its how he has been getting several assists. He is solid on the boards, but the "skill" level of his game is not where i think many posters on here think it should be. Once he gets really comfortable, he might expand a bit. If anything its the opposite of Tatar. Tatar needs to play more boring and safe. Jurco needs to skill it up a little. But at the same time, he is the best plus minus on the team. So as long as he is + when he is on the ice, I am not really complaining. Others may have better details than this.

Thanks for the reply! I am happy to hear that his board play is getting better. Its a skill I personally hold in high regard. I remember him saying in a few preseason interviews that he has been working on his shot and as of now it is paying small dividends whether it be from a couple of goals (both of which were awesome) or tallying the assists.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
I don't think anyone mentioned the perfect screen on Tatar's goal. There is a great camera angle in the highlights, the goalie didn't see anything.

A blasphemous thought, but what about a Tatar-Datsyuk-Jurco line? They seem to have a good chemistry.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic

Tatar is already playing more "boring and safe" than he used to, I think he should stay where he is now. Instead, let's balance it out with a player like Jurco.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I hope Jurco stays up on the 1st line for the game against Dallas. Seemed that line was reenergized with him on it. Franzen can stay on the 2nd where he was.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The one thing I have to keep telling myself about Jurco is that it's not fair to compare his production to what Tatar and Nyquist have done off the bat. Those two played an immense amount of games in the AHL before playing at the NHL level. Jurco had 100 games down there which is nothing to scoff at, but taking age into consideration as well, he's still developing as a pro. With Tatar and Nyquist, their games/styles were essentially already established by the time they got to Detroit. I don't think that's the case with Jurco yet.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Why does Jurco get a free pass when he's not scoring when others like Franzen become the scapegoat? Is it because he's young? Because he's not "lazy" like Franzen?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why does Jurco get a free pass when he's not scoring when others like Franzen become the scapegoat? Is it because he's young? Because he's not "lazy" like Franzen?

You expect more from someone who's done it before vs someone who hasn't.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013

Cause he plays 4th line minutes and gets no pp time?

Not to mention he's still just 22 years old and doesn't even have a full season under his belt yet. He's learning the game

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He's more effective on the bottom two lines than Franzen would be.

:laugh: Franzen was a better bottom line player by a substantial margin. Do people forget before he became a very good Top 6 player he was a fairly exceptional bottom six player? How many times do you need to here Babcock laud Franzen's defensive ability before it sinks in that the guy is still good at defense no matter his detractors around here. No he might never be healthy again to have this problem, but Franzen represents an upgrade over at least half of our forwards basically the guys in the Top 6 and Sheahan are safe that is it. It is alarming for Mule though that Helm and Abdelkader have consolidated spots while he has been out, good for the team but Johan is in for that when he comes back there are no two ways about it. However, it is missing the boat to pretend Franzen isn't a third line option and a significant one at that if healthy.

Jurco is struggling, it is no secret. I do like that he is doing what he can. Concentrating on his defense and his board battles, but he needs to be better in the offensive zone no matter his linemates. Last night he got a puck gifted him in the slot and blew the chance, couldn't even put it on frame. There is no blaming Andersson or Miller for that misstep. They have released him several times for him to do nothing with the puck. It is a part of development, but right now Jurco is gripping the stick too hard. He will get through it, he is a young guy, but he needs up his level of play or he is going to start watching games from the press box soon.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
My eyes and weak memory tell me Jurco has more posts than goals this season. Keep firing kid!

Aug 6, 2012
I like the kid a lot but I don't really see that much offensive potential. For all the praise about his hands, he basically never uses them in-game and his hockey IQ doesn't really seem that great. Don't get me wrong, I think he can become a quality winger, but more of a complimentary player than someone who drives the play offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad