Tomas Jurco (Re-signed to two year deal, post #301)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He's still one of my favorite prospects and I have high hopes for him. He's had a drastically different development path than Nyquist and Tatar.

Interestingly, you name it Holland, Babcock, Fischer, Nill and so on have always said part of the reason our guys take longer is the kind of player. We don't get big physical skill guys you can put on a lower line to develop is something they say a lot. Well Jurco is getting developed in that fashion because of his tools. So those that claim they would never do it, it is all smoke, they have stuck by Jurco in terms of putting him in this way. I actually don't think time in GR would be that bad to get his confidence back going, but it is worth noting, the Wings aren't just cookie cutter with their prospects. Something to keep in mind with Mantha or Larkin in the future.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Yeah. Jurco has been given HUGE leeway. Far more than pretty much any Red Wings player Ive seen in the last two years. Weiss only has to give a give-away to be benched for a period. Jurco can go on a 30 game streak without a goal and gets put up to the first line.

Glendening has 8 goals to Jurcos 2 for the year. How this bloke hasnt been benched is beyond my understanding.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Yeah. Jurco has been given HUGE leeway. Far more than pretty much any Red Wings player Ive seen in the last two years. Weiss only has to give a give-away to be benched for a period. Jurco can go on a 30 game streak without a goal and gets put up to the first line.

Glendening has 8 goals to Jurcos 2 for the year. How this bloke hasnt been benched is beyond my understanding.

WOW I didn't even notice that. That is saying something. Both about Jurco and his luck & skills AND most importantly about Babcock.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Youngest player on the team. Willing to be patient.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Hes moved past snake-bitten and into bad territory now. I'm not against Jurco returning. Im for pushing him back to AHL to remember how to score.

I dont understand how you can keep faith in a guy that has 2 goals in 50 games. Pretty sure thats not turning on a bloke. He just cant hack it yet. He doesnt need to pass through waivers. I feel we would be better served getting his confidence back and playing Cleary/Pulkinnen/Andersson/Athanasiou/Mantha/anyone basically.

You get the benefits of giving another player a try-out while Jurco gets to be the man for a while and remember how to score. This isnt about dumping Jurco. Its about giving him the right oppurtunity to get going. 50 games is enough to move out of his slump. 2.5% Shooting percentage? Dear god.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I wouldn't say turn on him is right, but I would definitely say that I am questioning if keeping him in the NHL this season was good for him.

They had all season to send him down and trade for a depth guy (or even play Cleary lol) if they thought he wasn't performing at a level they expect. He's still up for a reason. Babcock likes him.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
I wouldn't say turn on him is right, but I would definitely say that I am questioning if keeping him in the NHL this season was good for him.

I agree, I think playing Top6 in Grand Rapids would've been better for his development than playing 4th line in Detroit. I hope he uses this opportunity with Datsyuk.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Jurco is the odd man out, isn't he?

We have Tatar, Nyquist good wingers for Top 6 lines
IMO we need Abdelkader up as winger with either Datsyuk's line or Zetterberg's. Then we have one more spot. Franzen (LTIR), Helm, Weiss, Cole.

Tats - Dats - Nyquist
Abby - Zeke - Cole
Helm - Weiss - (Franzen) Jurco (When all healthy)
Luke - Andy - Miller

Don't know where to place Jurco. If either Tatar or Nyquist injured he will replace one of them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Jurco has our team's best relative GF% value.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ards&minutes=400&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Just like Erik Cole had team-high (by far) values at Dallas. Looks like horcoff and Cole were only guys who cared to make some defensive efforts on that high-scoring (on both ends) Dallas team.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ards&minutes=400&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Jurco isn't setting the world on fire offensively, but defensively, he has been one of our greatest forwards. Lowest GAA when he is on the ice.

Preventing scoring is as important as scoring in hockey, period. But blind fans usually look only for the stat sheet and willstart whining. Our coaching staff sees things better, and look how Babcock rewards Jurco about his defensive efforts with a chance to play with Datsyuk.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Precisely. Due to his outstanding development of defensive abilities and responsibilities, I expect him to play a bigger role next season.

Oct 18, 2006
Look at Jurco's career stats.

He's played just over a full season (85 games) and has 10 goals, 20 assists, +6.

30 points from 85 games for a guy who's played the majors of those games as a 20 year old on the 3rd/4th lines is very reasonable.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You can still develop as a player, even if you're not putting up stats. You can still develop as a player, even playing on the 4th line. There's more than 1 way to develop a player, even though everyone is used to the overripening, and dominating the AHL.

Jurco gets to practice with Dats and Z everyday, and learn from Babcock. He gets to play against the best competition in the world every night, at age 22. Again, Franzen started out in the same boat and turned out just fine.

aFish

blub blub blub
Jun 23, 2014
Ontario
Jurco is the odd man out, isn't he?

We have Tatar, Nyquist good wingers for Top 6 lines
IMO we need Abdelkader up as winger with either Datsyuk's line or Zetterberg's. Then we have one more spot. Franzen (LTIR), Helm, Weiss, Cole.

Tats - Dats - Nyquist
Abby - Zeke - Cole
Helm - Weiss - (Franzen) Jurco (When all healthy)
Luke - Andy - Miller

Don't know where to place Jurco. If either Tatar or Nyquist injured he will replace one of them.

You left Sheahan out of your lineup as well.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You can still develop as a player, even if you're not putting up stats. You can still develop as a player, even playing on the 4th line. There's more than 1 way to develop a player, even though everyone is used to the overripening, and dominating the AHL.

Jurco gets to practice with Dats and Z everyday, and learn from Babcock. He gets to play against the best competition in the world every night, at age 22. Again, Franzen started out in the same boat and turned out just fine.

Great to pickup Franzen on this discussion, because at the age Jurco is now, Franzen was a 3rd line center cashing 8 and 6 point seasons in Sweden. And wasn't even drafted yet. Jurco is playing in NHL, learning from the best and playing against the best in the world. We'll see the rewards afterwards. :)

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
You left Sheahan out of your lineup as well.

Yeah my bad. That will leave even less space for Jurco.

Tats - Dats - Nyquist
Abby - Zeke - Cole
Helm - Sheahan - Weiss/(Franzen)/Jurco (When all healthy)
Luke - Andy - Miller

Who to bench when Franzen is healthy and ready to go?
Andersson? But he's a good PK guy and 4th liner.
For us, to get Jurco's full capabilities, we need him in Top 6 or Top 9.
But Top 6 is stacked. 3rd line is stacked when healthy but we have Weiss still so he slots in at 3rd when Franzen is out etc.
Jurco only fits if Franzen retire unofficially because he can't continue with his concussions.
Only then can Jurco rotate out of Top 9 when Weiss/Nyquist/Tats/Helm/Cole are unhealthy.
He shouldn't be down on 4th line. At minimum 3rd line.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Jurco has our team's best relative GF% value.

Just like Erik Cole had team-high (by far) values at Dallas. Looks like horcoff and Cole were only guys who cared to make some defensive efforts on that high-scoring (on both ends) Dallas team.

Jurco isn't setting the world on fire offensively, but defensively, he has been one of our greatest forwards. Lowest GAA when he is on the ice.

Preventing scoring is as important as scoring in hockey, period. But blind fans usually look only for the stat sheet and willstart whining. Our coaching staff sees things better, and look how Babcock rewards Jurco about his defensive efforts with a chance to play with Datsyuk.
Doesn't he get pretty soft assignments though? I like Jurco, but if I recall correctly, at least part of his defensive numbers are a product of QOC and such. Although, I did see a graph in which his numbers/60 were pretty damn good, even adjusted for QOC. He produced like a mid 2nd liner based on minutes/usage.

ho to bench when Franzen is healthy and ready to go?
Andersson? But he's a good PK guy and 4th liner.
For us, to get Jurco's full capabilities, we need him in Top 6 or Top 9.
But Top 6 is stacked. 3rd line is stacked when healthy but we have Weiss still so he slots in at 3rd when Franzen is out etc.
Jurco only fits if Franzen retire unofficially because he can't continue with his concussions.
Only then can Jurco rotate out of Top 9 when Weiss/Nyquist/Tats/Helm/Cole are unhealthy.
He shouldn't be down on 4th line. At minimum 3rd line.

Franzen seems like a huge if at this point. And we have 5 PK guys without Andersson, making him pretty unnecessary for that role. Helm, Sheahan, Abby, Luke, Miller can and have all PKed this season. Franzen has as well. I'm sure Weiss could if we really needed it. And of course Z/D can, we just want them to be more rested for ES/PP.

I don't think Jurco on the 4th with Miller and Glendening is such a terrible idea. Miller does have some offensive chops, historically. He's put in ~10goals a season + 10 assists with 4th line minutes. That's not bad at all. If you could count on that from all 3 4th line guys you're looking pretty good. Glendening showing more ability this season too. Statistically Jurco's not bad defensively so it still fits the line's identity.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Earlier in the season I thought Jurco looked rejuvenated when he played on the 4th line. But I expected it was temporary and would light the fire.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So what you guys expect from Jurco 2015-2016? 15 goals, 35 points?

Assuming he's not on the 4th line...

10-15 goals, 15-20 assists. Probably right about ~30 points

Career numbers would say over 82 games - 9.11 goals, 18.22 assists, 27.33 points is what you can expect.

I think he will improve on those next year, just a matter of how much. Your prediction may be on the money.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Assuming he's not on the 4th line...

10-15 goals, 15-20 assists. Probably right about ~30 points

Career numbers would say over 82 games - 9.11 goals, 18.22 assists, 27.33 points is what you can expect.

I think he will improve on those next year, just a matter of how much. Your prediction may be on the money.

Jurcos problem like smiths is confidence to a great degree, and not talent. I hope Blashill can bring out the best in both of them.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I keep forgetting how young he is, but I worry at times that we hurt his development by throwing him on a checking line. Hopefully he can still tap into his significant potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad