Tomas Jurco (Re-signed to two year deal, post #301)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Bowman completely tore down and rebuilt Yzerman. He was an offence first dynamo who had never won anything and Bowman turned him into a quality two way player who won 3 cups. Their is nothing wrong with asking a player to build a foundation of defense to round out his game.

Yes he absolutely did, but its a little different situation, because Yzerman was an established superstar. He asked him basically to go from a 100Pt player that played no defense to an 80 pt player that was excellent defensively. He didn't ask him to really change his total offensive game, only to be more aware and get back on defense and commit to 200ft of ice.

Jurco was basically told not to dangle and just crash the net and use his body. I mean do I want him to be willing to do that too, sure, but you don't tell a guy with amazing hands to just crash the net. Heck Babs basically did the same thing to Hudler and to a lesser extent Flip.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Bowman completely tore down and rebuilt Yzerman. He was an offence first dynamo who had never won anything and Bowman turned him into a quality two way player who won 3 cups. Their is nothing wrong with asking a player to build a foundation of defence to round out his game.

Yzerman's little knee problem didn't hurt that transition, either.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The same 4th line that had Glendenning scored 12 goals?

Its not ONLY the 4th line duties that Jurco had that affected his play. He had a bad year. Say what you will about the slow methodical approach to player development, but if you want Jurco in the top 6... it will be in the AHL. Because I would not pay to see him in Detroit's top 6 right now.

Be hard for Jurco to go into Top six. Depends if Blash has the balls to Lower someone who plays bad, (Zetterberg Offence during last march, Helm is kind of a placeholder, Nyquist or Tats when they go invisible) If Blash does that, Jurco can have an easier time, Otherwise I dont see it. 3rd line

Actual Thought*

Yes he absolutely did, but its a little different situation, because Yzerman was an established superstar. He asked him basically to go from a 100Pt player that played no defense to an 80 pt player that was excellent defensively. He didn't ask him to really change his total offensive game, only to be more aware and get back on defense and commit to 200ft of ice.

Jurco was basically told not to dangle and just crash the net and use his body. I mean do I want him to be willing to do that too, sure, but you don't tell a guy with amazing hands to just crash the net. Heck Babs basically did the same thing to Hudler and to a lesser extent Flip.

Yzerman's little knee problem didn't hurt that transition, either.
I was simply trying to illustrate that players who make it to the NHL are capable of change. It isn't really a round peg in a square hole debate. A coaches job is to help put players in a position to help the team. If every role is executed the team does well. Great players embrace their role and put the team first. Players also evolve their game. Jurco isn't owed a spot. He needs to grab whatever chance he is given and execute. It will make him a better player.

Yzerman injured his knee long before Bowman came to Detroit.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
The same 4th line that had Glendenning scored 12 goals?

Its not ONLY the 4th line duties that Jurco had that affected his play. He had a bad year. Say what you will about the slow methodical approach to player development, but if you want Jurco in the top 6... it will be in the AHL. Because I would not pay to see him in Detroit's top 6 right now.

I said when he is 24 (2 seasons from now) he will be a 2nd/3rd liner with stability. I in no way, shape, or form said he will be a top 6'r next year. He will more than likely be a 3rd liner with pulks + whoever centering them next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
At age of Jurco, Datsyuk was still playing at Russia.
At age of Jurco, Zetterberg started his Nhl career at Red Wings.
At age of Jurco, Franzen was centering a 3rd line in Sweden.

Don't you guys realize how young Jurco currently is.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Bowman completely tore down and rebuilt Yzerman. He was an offence first dynamo who had never won anything and Bowman turned him into a quality two way player who won 3 cups. Their is nothing wrong with asking a player to build a foundation of defence to round out his game.

First, that's not comparable. If Bylsma had torn down Crosby and made him a guy like Zetterberg after several years playing in the NHL, then that comparison would be just.

Second, this assumes that the same strategy works for all players. Jurco and Yzerman are pretty different specimens, probably extremely so in their respective freshman and sophomore years.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
So what does his future look like now? I was 100% sure he was getting traded, but today in an interview with Slovak media he said that him staying in Detroit is a "high probability".

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
At age of Jurco, Datsyuk was still playing at Russia.
At age of Jurco, Zetterberg started his Nhl career at Red Wings.
At age of Jurco, Franzen was centering a 3rd line in Sweden.

Don't you guys realize how young Jurco currently is.

I still firmly believe he can be a Top 6 Power Forward. The Wings fan base needs to exercise patience with Jurcle. He can skate like whoa, can be physical and has magic hands. Just needs more experience and confidence.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Jurco was rushed into a size obsessed Babcock. Jurco fell on his face. Time to send him back to the AHL for a season to finish his development and rebuild his confidence.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Jurco was rushed into a size obsessed Babcock. Jurco fell on his face. Time to send him back to the AHL for a season to finish his development and rebuild his confidence.

IIRC he lost his waiver exemption at the end of the season and would have to be exposed to waivers to go back to GR.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
IIRC he lost his waiver exemption at the end of the season and would have to be exposed to waivers to go back to GR.

This is probably correct. Although i have no idea.

Basically the essence of waiver rules is so that "established" NHLers can not be sent to the AHL without other teams getting a chance to have them.

Id say the full season last year for Jurco makes him "established"

I would LOVE to send Jurco to the AHL.
He was brought up entirely too early.
IMHO we could trade him away and I feel no loss a la Nestrasil.

Completely unimpressed with him.
Is it the DRW fault for bringing him up too early? YES. I think it is.
A rare mistake on our development teams fault.

Would HFBoards have done the same?

Oh for sure, wewould have ruined the Development of virtually EVERY player we have.

Just saying.
I think Jurco is done like dinner, doesnt deserve top 9 icetime in NHL, cant be sent to AHL. He is our next Miller. He has to produce on the 4th line, to earn his way up to the 3rd line. It is his ONLY option!

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
When Abdelkader was as old as Jurco is right now, he had worse numbers. Jurco should not be traded at all, because he would have little value right now and the chance of him becoming an important part (which could be helped by his size alone) is much bigger than any potential trade return.

Gruß,
BSHH

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
This is probably correct. Although i have no idea.

Basically the essence of waiver rules is so that "established" NHLers can not be sent to the AHL without other teams getting a chance to have them.

Id say the full season last year for Jurco makes him "established"

I would LOVE to send Jurco to the AHL.
He was brought up entirely too early.
IMHO we could trade him away and I feel no loss a la Nestrasil.

Completely unimpressed with him.
Is it the DRW fault for bringing him up too early? YES. I think it is.
A rare mistake on our development teams fault.

Would HFBoards have done the same?

Oh for sure, wewould have ruined the Development of virtually EVERY player we have.

Just saying.
I think Jurco is done like dinner, doesnt deserve top 9 icetime in NHL, cant be sent to AHL. He is our next Miller. He has to produce on the 4th line, to earn his way up to the 3rd line. It is his ONLY option!

Jurco is 22 years old dude. This is a severe overreaction. We haven't had a player this young in the lineup since Fischer. Let's tap the brakes a little.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
I love how some want to trade elite talents when their value is at their lowest pretty much (jurco and mantha).

I don't want to trade him, on the contrary. I am a Slovak and a RW fan, so I want as many Slovaks as possible on this team. I'm just saying that I really expected him to get traded. He just wasn't worth his roster spot last season. In the interview I mentioned earlier, he even mentioned that this was the worst season of his career.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't want to trade him, on the contrary. I am a Slovak and a RW fan, so I want as many Slovaks as possible on this team. I'm just saying that I really expected him to get traded. He just wasn't worth his roster spot last season. In the interview I mentioned earlier, he even mentioned that this was the worst season of his career.

If the right trade were there to be made I'd have no problem trading Jurco. There's nothing to date to suggest he's going to be a scoring line forward. People just seem to fall in love with our prospects and all they can see is the good and they anticipate that every prospect is destined to max out his development.

With that being said I have no problem with him on the team and haven't given up on him yet. I think there's a chance he can turn it around and the best bet would be to put him on the 3rd line. Putting him on the ice with Pulkkinen and either Sheahan or Richards should give him quality linemates. They'd probably also get lots of time on the ice with DeKeyser, Green and presumably Smith.

Like Sheahan this is a key year for Jurco. He should get super easy matchups which would allow him to thrive. If he flat out sucks at scoring or driving possession then he's likely going to end up being a plugger. Now if he can hit or come close to the 40 point range then he is someone you can envision competing for a scoring line spot in future seasons.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
I think we tend to forget Jurco was used in an extremely limited role last year; he played ~ 11 minutes a game. When he did play he did have a decent points/60, CF% and scoring chances for%, among the highest on the team actually. He shot an abysmal 3% which most assuredly will see a large uptick next year. I think we'd be crazy to trade him now.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Jurco is 22 years old dude. This is a severe overreaction. We haven't had a player this young in the lineup since Fischer. Let's tap the brakes a little.

I love how some want to trade elite talents when their value is at their lowest pretty much (jurco and mantha).

I think it should be clear that I do NOT want to trade Jurco or to waive him. I would love if he was still in the AHL developing to be much better than he is right now.
At current Jurco is going to have to learn getting 10-12 min a game, playing with less talented players. Jurco could still develop, but it will take much longer this way. There is also a risk he gets pigeon holed into a grinding style game, being smothered creatively.

What I am saying is the "patient" "overripening" system that everyone complains about...

Worked out just fine for Nyquist and Tatar.

Jurco was brought up a little too early. 1/2 season of AHL. I think he needed a little longer. And maybe he would look much better today.

I use Jurco as an example of development strategy.

For those that want Larkin on the team to start the year. It might be too early. Maybe not... but do not have your pitch forks ready if he doesnt make the team.

If there is one thing I agree fully with Holland with... its his slower than normal development philosophy.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I think it should be clear that I do NOT want to trade Jurco or to waive him. I would love if he was still in the AHL developing to be much better than he is right now.
At current Jurco is going to have to learn getting 10-12 min a game, playing with less talented players. Jurco could still develop, but it will take much longer this way. There is also a risk he gets pigeon holed into a grinding style game, being smothered creatively.

What I am saying is the "patient" "overripening" system that everyone complains about...

Worked out just fine for Nyquist and Tatar.

Jurco was brought up a little too early. 1/2 season of AHL. I think he needed a little longer. And maybe he would look much better today.

I use Jurco as an example of development strategy.

For those that want Larkin on the team to start the year. It might be too early. Maybe not... but do not have your pitch forks ready if he doesnt make the team.

If there is one thing I agree fully with Holland with... its his slower than normal development philosophy.

I think Babs going off into the sunset will be great for Jurco's development. He started off slow this year and got pigeon holed into a real guder net front way too fast.

He had a off year no question about it from the o-side. But he has skill and hopefully Blash won't discourage him from using it. He doesn't have to go you tube style every time he touches the puck. But he needs to learn how to apply his skill in the o-zone for him to grow as a player.

Him and Sheahan are really interesting net front options going forward in my opinion. Given that they can handle the puck well and actually make plays if feed the puck in down low. But they both need a coaching staff that won't kill any semblance of creativity like Babs did.

I was impressed though with the 2 way gains he made this season which is probably a by product of spending quite a lot of time with Glendy and Miller this year.

I just hope he comes to camp revitalized and confident most importantly. If he remains healthy + in the top 9 for 60+ games of the year it would not surprise me at all if he posts a 30-35 point breakout year per say. And if he is feeling it and takes off depending on linemates and pp time usuage he very well could eclipse 40 points this coming year.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I would love if he was still in the AHL developing to be much better than he is right now.

Well, that's on Babcock. He's the one that wanted Jurco on the team from the start then used him as a checking winger when his offense didn't get going. Jurco could have been in the AHL all season. Thankfully Babcock is gone.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i can never get the images of him stepping on the puck on a breakaway out of my head lol. hopefully the guy has a bounce back year this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad