Speculation: Tomas Hertl

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Because he's going to want to go to a contender. I seriously doubt he waives to go to a team fighting for 8th down the playoff stretch.

Sure, SJ doesn't have to trade him but they will, because they won't want to let him walk for nothing in the offseason.
You're making an insane amount of speculation about the season, the player and the future. Maybe he doesn't want to play second fiddle to McKinnon? Maybe Rossi has a KK type season and maybe KK signs longterm and helps lure him in. You're not really putting much thought into it other than "Colorado good".

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Gotta pay to play. Hertl makes the Bruins a SC contender again. Hertl is in the prime of his career and there isn't anyone in the Bruins pipeline currently that is projected to be as good as him. A 1st and a prospect minimum is what i expect Hertl to go for. DeBrusk is in there to make the salaries closer to even since the Bruins are up against the cap. And just because he's FA doesn't mean Sweeney can't resign him, which is one of his stronger abilities as a gm.
Sweeney better get MacAvoy signed before anyone..........

Reactions: wintersej

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
You're making an insane amount of speculation about the season, the player and the future. Maybe he doesn't want to play second fiddle to McKinnon? Maybe Rossi has a KK type season and maybe KK signs longterm and helps lure him in. You're not really putting much thought into it other than "Colorado good".

You're missing the point.

Hertl will evaluate at the trade deadline which teams give him the best shot at winning the Cup and will likely only be interested in going to that small handful of teams.

It won't be a true bidding war between all 16 playoff teams as Hertl has the power to nix deals.

This will very likely limit the value received by the SJS as fewer bidders generally means lower bids.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
You're missing the point.

Hertl will evaluate at the trade deadline which teams give him the best shot at winning the Cup and will likely only be interested in going to that small handful of teams.

It won't be a true bidding war between all 16 playoff teams as Hertl has the power to nix deals.

This will very likely limit the value received by the SJS as fewer bidders generally means lower bids.
Yeah. No.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He would look great in a CH but that damn cap.

We got Drouin at 5.5 and Byron at 3.5....both got to go to make room for at least the 7.5 he's going to want. Then we have Suzuki who also needs 6-7.

Hab haters aside, adding him would bring the well balanced but no star forward group up a big notch. Three offensive lines, a hard core defensive one.....and slow mountain man defense. Can't have it all!

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Who's the first line?

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Smith

Hall -- Hertl -- Pasta

That's what I want to personally see, even if the Bruins stick with Coyle/Stud as the 2nd line center. Marchand/Bergeron are elite enough to still do their thing while helping to push Smith offensively while Hall -- Pasta would be an elite pairing for the 2nd line. Perfection would get reunited on the 1st unit PP or in late game situations where they need a momentum shift.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Marchand -- Bergeron -- Smith

Hall -- Hertl -- Pasta

That's what I want to personally see, even if the Bruins stick with Coyle/Stud as the 2nd line center. Marchand/Bergeron are elite enough to still do their thing while helping to push Smith offensively while Hall -- Pasta would be an elite pairing for the 2nd line. Perfection would get reunited on the 1st unit PP or in late game situations where they need a momentum shift.
Wrong , now that they have Hall no need too breakup that first line.......

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Not likely because the most likely outcome is he re-signs in San Jose.

Not that I disagree, but does it really make sense for San Jose to sign Hertl to a long-term contract? By the time San Jose gets rid of all the bad contracts, Hertl's prime will be gone.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not that I disagree, but does it really make sense for San Jose to sign Hertl to a long-term contract? By the time San Jose gets rid of all the bad contracts, Hertl's prime will be gone.

Yes it does from a business perspective. He's a draw for the fans.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

No it doesn't, it makes no sense for SJ to sign anyone long term right now. We should be rebuilding, not signing long term, high AAV contracts for 28yo players. I love Hertl, but he should leave, even if DW wants to keep him, this team has no short term future.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

Nah. Hertl's good but people don't go out of their way and buy tickets to see him live, sorry. Trading him shouldn't have much impact on attendance and interest in Sharks hockey going forward

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It really depends on how the first half of the season goes. I honestly don't think the team re-signs him this offseason but that's not indicative of anything.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Interesting. I’m not going to pretend that I know big of a celebrity Hertl is in San Jose, but I always thought that hockey players move around relatively unnoticed in California. Unless there are a bunch of Hertl fans specifically, most fans care more about the team’s success than an individual player.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Interesting. I’m not going to pretend that I know big of a celebrity Hertl is in San Jose, but I always thought that hockey players move around relatively unnoticed in California. Unless there are a bunch of Hertl fans specifically, most fans care more about the team’s success than an individual player.

The biggest reason for fans to watch a losing team is popular players and he's all that's left with Thornton, Pavs, and Marleau gone. It's really just him and Burns at this point.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The biggest reason for fans to watch a losing team is popular players and he's all that's left with Thornton, Pavs, and Marleau gone. It's really just him and Burns at this point.

Does Couture not count? In my opinion, from a business perspective it makes the most sense to become competitive again to draw back the casual fans, rather than appease the fans that will most likely show up regardless Hertl is on the team or not.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Does Couture not count? In my opinion, from a business perspective it makes the most sense to become competitive again to draw back the casual fans, rather than appease the fans that will most likely show up regardless Hertl is on the team or not.

It does but failing that, if you can keep players that sell jerseys and people enjoy watching play, it can keep the team from losing more money than they pay him. And no, I don't think Couture counts.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
He would look great in a CH but that damn cap.

We got Drouin at 5.5 and Byron at 3.5....both got to go to make room for at least the 7.5 he's going to want. Then we have Suzuki who also needs 6-7.

Hab haters aside, adding him would bring the well balanced but no star forward group up a big notch. Three offensive lines, a hard core defensive one.....and slow mountain man defense. Can't have it all!
Sharks dont care about retaining, but you have to offer something you will be mad at giving up to get Hertl

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I think it's weird that people say SJ is in win now mode.

They are a bottom-5 team.

They have almost no cap to bring in good enough players.

They have bottom-5 prospect pool.

They shouldn't be in win now mode, they should be in blow it up and rebuild mode.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sharks dont care about retaining, but you have to offer something you will be mad at giving up to get Hertl
We can't resign him because we have no cap left. Unless we can give away Drouin and Byron then pay through the nose, it's not going to work. Then we have Suzuki to lock up and that is not going to come cheap IF he's the real deal.

I said he would look good in the CH.....which basically mean photoshop!

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I think it's weird that people say SJ is in win now mode.

They are a bottom-5 team.

They have almost no cap to bring in good enough players.

They have bottom-5 prospect pool.

They shouldn't be in win now mode, they should be in blow it up and rebuild mode.
Weird or not it's what management says. They intend to try for the playoffs.

Bottom 5 team season before last, 7th last season right? Small details but now with better goaltending and everyone healthy and with more vet depth they could easily be a bubble playoff team or better considering the pacific is a tire fire of a division. No, I don't see them as a "contender" but they're not as far off as some think from at least being a playoff team.

They don't need to bring in "good enough players" they need the ones they have to play up to their ability and stay healthy and then the over abundance of young guys on the cusp of becoming full time NHLers to actually take the next step. The GM completely remade the goaltending position this last off season which was by far and away their biggest weakness. Don't sleep on Doug Wilson, they don't call him the Dentist for nothing. :laugh:

Wrong about the prospect pool. Almost every person that ranks prospect systems says the sharks are in the top 1/3rd or higher now after adding like 20 players the last couple years.

Sharks can't blow it up. None of the contracts they would need to move to "blow it up" can be moved. The GM intends to straddle the line between restocking the system as much as possible while attempting to ice an entertaining team.

Lastly, this whole thread is dumb AF because the GM ain't letting Hertl out of SJ. But hey, you guys go nuts. :laugh:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah Hertl is likely the most popular Shark player in SJ right now. Shark tank likely gets burned down if he's traded. Going to take a kings ransom from an east team or a west team that gives up even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad