Speculation: Tomas Hertl

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

Attachments

• Sand-dunes-Sahara-Morocco-Merzouga.jpg
    Sand-dunes-Sahara-Morocco-Merzouga.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 2

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What do Sharks fans think about Kane being a distraction in the locker room? Core players want him gone, Doug Wilson hasn't moved Kane yet so what's going to give? It's a disaster down there and the owner appears to be a German billionaire that has no interest in having a good season.

It's incredible how fast the league turned into a simple business. I think everybody down there is hanging onto their jobs looking up at ownership seeing nobody there.

Here's what I found on the Wikipedia of Hasson Platner, owner of the Sharks, "The absentee owner rarely has been seen in the San Jose area over the years." The tone at the top is terrible, and it's not surprising the locker room has tension. I hope the genuine hockey fans in San Jose get an interested owner.

Those of us following the situation have mostly come to the conclusion that a Kane trade is unavailable at this time either because of the league investigation putting it on hold or just because nobody wants the headache. In either situation the team is stuck with him until there's some resolution available to them. Their options are limited. The only option completely within their control is to sit him with pay or waive and assign him to the AHL to see if he reports. That'd be a pretty extreme response for one of their two best players they didn't discipline in real time allegedly. Chances are that the players will just need to suck it up until at worst the Sharks buy him out next offseason. If the team is willing to pay Hertl a boatload of money, that's going to talk to him more than whatever they do with Kane.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa bays prospect pool looking like

As bare as it gets! Actually it's probably not bad. We don't have the blue chips to offer but we will probably find a good player or two out of there. Good enough to land Hertl? Maybe? They would need to send some cap out or do some kind of 3 team trade like they did to get Savard. Most likely wouldn't happen imo but guess we've seen crazy things happen before.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
As bare as it gets! Actually it's probably not bad. We don't have the blue chips to offer but we will probably find a good player or two out of there. Good enough to land Hertl? Maybe? They would need to send some cap out or do some kind of 3 team trade like they did to get Savard. Most likely wouldn't happen imo but guess we've seen crazy things happen before.
I wouldnt be interested in any of their prospects as a starter, but its possible they could either aquire someone interesting by trading a roster player or just throw like 3 first rounders at us.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

LyNX27

I wouldnt be interested in any of their prospects as a starter, but its possible they could either aquire someone interesting by trading a roster player or just throw like 3 first rounders at us.

This type of strategy is exactly why they don't have prospects and it's a pretty safe bet that those 1st round picks would be very late. Better off trading any other team that can match the value of three 1st's.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
This type of strategy is exactly why they don't have prospects and it's a pretty safe bet that those 1st round picks would be very late. Better off trading any other team that can match the value of three 1st's.
Agreed. Dont think it would happen but not sure anything else on tampa would really fit the sharks future needs. Think Tampa is better off recouping for a few years while still being pretty good

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Would something around the following get it done?

Bruins 1st 2022
Studnika
Gryz

I can't imagine it would. Gryz isn't anything we'd value. He's a solid player but we're pretty well set on the left side with Ferraro, Knyzhov, Simek/Vlasic, and three kids knocking on the door for a roster spot in Pasichnuk, Hatakka, and Kniazev. They also just drafted a couple LHD's in Guryev and Kashnikov although these two are certainly long shots to be anything. I would think if Boston were to make a move for Hertl, it would likely need to include Swayman and a 1st or Beecher, a 1st, and a 3rd or something like that.

Reactions: Yeti34

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
I can't imagine it would. Gryz isn't anything we'd value. He's a solid player but we're pretty well set on the left side with Ferraro, Knyzhov, Simek/Vlasic, and three kids knocking on the door for a roster spot in Pasichnuk, Hatakka, and Kniazev. They also just drafted a couple LHD's in Guryev and Kashnikov although these two are certainly long shots to be anything. I would think if Boston were to make a move for Hertl, it would likely need to include Swayman and a 1st or Beecher, a 1st, and a 3rd or something like that.
For a guy with 3 major knee injuries, you may have to lower your expectations. You are not getting Swayman after the Bruins traded away Vladar, he is the up and coming heir to Rask. Studnicka may well take over the 2nd line center position this year anyways. That 1st round pick is going to be a keeper, it is a very good draft class coming up next year.

Reactions: Sevendust

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
For a guy with 3 major knee injuries, you may have to lower your expectations. You are not getting Swayman. Studnicka may well take over the 2nd line center position this year anyways. That 1st round pick is going to be valuable this very good draft class next year
What have you seen from Studicka that leads you to believe that? Other than a gapping hole at the position

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa

I’d do the package of Beecher, 1st and a 3rd over the offer I listed as a Bruins fan. It would be toughest giving up a that 1st round pick but for Hertl it’s worth it. Especially if Bergy is looking to retire.

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
What have you seen from Studicka that leads you to believe that? Other than a gapping hole at the position
He needed to put on muscle and fill out, which he did this summer adding 10 plus lbs. His only problem was getting pushed off the puck time to time. He was very good in the AHL and was good in spots in the NHL playing in some critical moments on the wing. He has been a superb penalty killer and should be ready to take his natural center position. It is time for him to sink or swim. That may well improve his value or kill it. If not then Coyle will be the 2nd Center. Bruins had the inevitable luxury of having Krejci as the 2nd Center for years, he was more of a 1B. So anything will be a bit of a step down. Hertl would be a catch but I do not see Sweeney pulling it off, trading is not his thing unless it falls into his lap. Bruins are thin at top end prospects in general so it would be a gamble for a guy with a 3 time knee injury history.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
For a guy with 3 major knee injuries, you may have to lower your expectations. You are not getting Swayman after the Bruins traded away Vladar, he is the up and coming heir to Rask. Studnicka may well take over the 2nd line center position this year anyways. That 1st round pick is going to be a keeper, it is a very good draft class coming up next year.

That's not going to happen. The knee injuries are not of any concern to me nor anyone who is legitimately trying to acquire Hertl. Two of those knee injuries were a long time ago and he spent this past season post-latest knee injury and he was perfectly fine. Studnicka taking over the 2nd line center position is quite the leap, imo. I just don't see enough in his game for him to be more than a 3C maybe. Beecher is barely better but Boston doesn't have much and I realize that Swayman is likely unavailable which that other proposal is actually lowering my expectations with a Boston deal. Honestly, I don't expect Boston to have the pieces to get Hertl. The reported ask is a high end prospect, a 1st, and a young player. So chances are that the return will be a high end prospect and a 1st or 2nd. However, the Sharks are probably looking to re-sign Hertl so this isn't some pure rental scenario because the team and the player are likely interested in getting a deal done together so for another team to make it worth losing Hertl, they actually need to grab their attention with a centerpiece center or rhd prospect or wait to see if the two sides have a falling out.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Give me a break.

You tell any team in the league they can have either Hertl or Studnicka as their 2C and not one sane person will answer the latter.

If you don't want to make the trade on age/salary alone that's one thing but that might be the grossest underselling of hertl in a thread that's already approaching some all-time bad takes.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks would take this and run. Take a look what ufa rentals brought back these last trade deadlines.

There isn't a lot of people, if there are even any, on Hertl's level that have been traded at the deadline these past few years. And there were enough players that had gotten a 1st plus another asset. I don't think the Sharks will have a lot of problems getting good value out of him if they decided to part ways. However, that last part is far from a guarantee. I think the odds should favor him staying in San Jose.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
He needed to put on muscle and fill out, which he did this summer adding 10 plus lbs. His only problem was getting pushed off the puck time to time. He was very good in the AHL and was good in spots in the NHL playing in some critical moments on the wing. He has been a superb penalty killer and should be ready to take his natural center position. It is time for him to sink or swim. That may well improve his value or kill it. If not then Coyle will be the 2nd Center. Bruins had the inevitable luxury of having Krejci as the 2nd Center for years, he was more of a 1B. So anything will be a bit of a step down. Hertl would be a catch but I do not see Sweeney pulling it off, trading is not his thing unless it falls into his lap. so it would be a gamble for a guy with a 3 time knee injury history.

Bruins are thin at top end prospects in general

And that's the rub

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
At this point I believe that Tampa has proven their preternatural drafting ability. If any team doesn't need first rounders and can still be competitive, it's Tampa.
They are kinda like the Sharks were,they can just draft good safe prospects as their core is/was pretty much set

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
They are kinda like the Sharks were,they can just draft good safe prospects as their core is/was pretty much set

I mean sure, but also they're great at drafting higher-end talents. Kucherov was drafted in the 2nd-round as is better than anyone the Sharks have ever drafted. Plus, they hit on players like Palat, Point, Killorn, Cirelli with decent regularity.

Who's the last first-rounder they had that truly busted? Drouin disappointed (and Tampa certainly got their money's worth on him), but before that maybe Koekkoek...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Should I throw my wallet in also............Jesus that is a easy pass for the Bruins.

You could substitute Gryz with something different if that makes you feel better but it’s a pretty easy pass for San Jose either way lol

Studnicka and Boston’s 1st isn’t a good start for them.

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad