Value of: Tom Wilson to LA? What would it cost?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
According to Cap Friendly he only has the 23/24 season and then is a UFA so that’s one year. Some king fan would pay a bunch but I would not. At his age and style I wouldn’t want to be signing him to the next contract.

My bad, that is correct. Time flies.

I don't think his next contract will be a disaster, physical as he is he's shown no signs of wear and tear minus the torn ACL that he came back from fine. Not like with Ladd or Lucic where you could already see them starting to crumble. He could remain effective through his 30s in a Pavelski/Oshie type way

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I don’t think LA can trade another 1st, so that puts more pressure on the roster player/top prospect side of the deal.

Vilardi and Spence probably get it done. Don’t know if LA does that, though.

Blake hasn’t done a great job with his long term planning of the D core.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
I’d say Durzi and Byfield would do it. If Washington got offered this, they would be stupid not to take it and run.
They would never be offered that. LA would be stupid to hand over Byfield for a 29 year old supergoon whose next suspension will be 40 or more games due to history. Wilson is not the elite asset WSH wants him to be. Its not 2017 anymore.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
They would never be offered that. LA would be stupid to hand over Byfield for a 29 year old supergoon whose next suspension will be 40 or more games due to history. Wilson is not the elite asset WSH wants him to be. Its not 2017 anymore.
Is this a joke?

Byfield turns 21 after this season and his career-high is 21 points. Byfield is not the elite asset LAK wants him to be.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Is this a joke?

Byfield turns 21 after this season and his career-high is 21 points. Byfield is not the elite asset LAK wants him to be.
He also isn't the throw in other team think he is. But hey ask for the player then bash the player if the team isn't willing to move him.

Reactions: go4hockey

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He also isn't the throw in other team think he is. But hey ask for the player then bash the player if the team isn't willing to move him.
Or two things can be true: Byfield isn’t the elite untouchable asset some make him out to be but he’s not a throw-in and still has a good deal of value, which is why he’d be included in a trade for a guy like Wilson.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Other than the year not being 2017, I don’t think anything in this accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllAlphas

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
At this point I offer a blank check that has anything but Clarke and Byfield on it for anything resembling Tom Wilson. Might even settle for Ron Wilson or Doug Wilson. Tom have any kids?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm probably more willing to move Wilson than most caps fans, he's played a large role on a team that crapped itself for 5 straight season and none of the times he's ever hurt the team seem to count against him because he's a throwback Dale Hunter like player.

At the same time he's a very good player and the return would have to reflect that. If Fiala was a RW getting him back as a playmaker for the rest of Ovechkin's career would be tempting. I doubt the Kings would trade Kempe now that he's broken out into a better player, Kings wouldn't put Byfield on the table and a prospects like Turcotte would get lost in the shuffle with McMichael, Lapierre, Protas. Most interesting on the Kings would be Vilardi/Kaliyev, Gavrikov (but he's a UFA so no value in a Wilson trade), not sure what else. Clarke would be great value but probably off the table and might not make an impact for a while, and we already have Sandin/Fehervary/Alexeyev as young players finding their footing and Carlson, Jensen, TVR as RDs all signed for a few years
Fiala has played RW, and is vg there, but he is way more valuable than Wilson.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
My bad, that is correct. Time flies.

I don't think his next contract will be a disaster, physical as he is he's shown no signs of wear and tear minus the torn ACL that he came back from fine. Not like with Ladd or Lucic where you could already see them starting to crumble. He could remain effective through his 30s in a Pavelski/Oshie type way

I think there is some revisionist history with Lucic. His best seasons in Boston he was a 58-62 point guy. He scored 55 in LA when EDM gave him the contract. He was still Lucic in LA. He scored 50 his first year of that contract in EDM.

And then shit totally hit the fan.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
lol

Thank goodness you guys are no Kings managers.
This overreaction after McDavid is hillarious

Alone that names like Byfield or 1st rounders are involved for a soon to be 30 year old should close the thread immediately.

Calm down my fellow Kings peeps.... we are not competeing for at least 2 more years

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Does LA really want a player that is that injury prone when they have to play McNasty 4 times a year?

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
lol

Alone that names like Byfield or 1st rounders are involved for a soon to be 30 year old should close the thread immediately.

Calm down my fellow Kings peeps.... we are not competeing for at least 2 more years

Acting like this is an overreaction to an isolated incident is shortsighted, this is an ongoing roster construction issue for several years.

Kings have successfully put together a tenacious, annoying lineup full of waterbugs, so of course they're going to get their faces punched in.. They need some oomph. And they're going to have to pay for it as it's not coming from within. It may not be Wilson, but it's gotta start somewhere. They need a big body that can play on the edge and scrap when needed.

Reactions: Reaper45

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
So Iafallo, Kaliyev, and a 1st.
There are 31 teams that beat this offer easily, 32 if you count the Capitals themselves.

The Capitals have a full lineup of Iafallo’s. Kaliyev is a Boom Or Bust type who isn’t Booming and is trending towards mediocre at best. The Kings 1st will be late. This proposal is a complete failure.

lol

If your entire squad gets bitched by McDavid it’s probably time to rebuild or maybe just fold.

Does LA really want a player that is that injury prone when they have to play McNasty 4 times a year?
Tom Wilson has had one injury his entire career but is now “injury prone.” That’s good to know. Laughable and stupid but good to know nonetheless.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Wilson's career high is 52 points and his career high after 4 full seasons was 23 points
With contracts involved I would rather have Byfield and I'm an Oilers fan
You can frame it this way if you like. It’s highly disingenuous and transparent but you can if that’s your prerogative, just makes the entirety of your argument suspect.

Fact is Wilson is a 3-time 20 Goal scorer who could flirt with 30 if he played a Full Season with a healthy roster around him. He’s only missed 20 on several occasions because of shortened seasons. Wilson didn’t play above the 4th line in Washington until after 2017 since when he’s been a remarkably consistent 40-PT / 20-Goal player. Those are just the counting stats which are significantly better than you’re projecting. He’s also an absolute monster, hits, fights, kills penalties, is absolutely feared and gameplanned against, and has done something this generation of Oiler player has never done. I think we all know what that is. Your opinion is jaded and false but you do you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian23

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Did i ask for him? Or say that he is a throw-in?

Good for the Kings if they are happy with him. I'm sure they value him higher than anyone else.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Wilson's career high is 52 points and his career high after 4 full seasons was 23 points
With contracts involved I would rather have Byfield and I'm an Oilers fan
Silly point but yes, if the Capitals thought of trading Wilson in 2017, he wouldn’t have been elite asset either. In his 5th season he was the top-line RW for the Cup winner. If Byfield does the same then sure, people will value him better.

Good for you. Who would you trade for him from the Oilers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad