Value of: Tom Wilson to LA? What would it cost?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That sounds like a pretty big ask for a UFA. Good roster player I'm assuming is top 9 who can give 35-45ish points, maybe 20 goals?, and high end prospect I'm assuming isn't just "teams best prospect", but an actual high ranked prospect?
It is a pretty big ask but Wilson is a unique player. He’s had (or paced) for five straight 20 goal seasons, is either your RW1 or RW2, can play on both PP1 and PK1, and obviously brings the physical element to the game. He’s kind of a unicorn in today’s game.

They probably don’t get all those pieces but they’d get a hefty package. “High end prospect” was meant as one of the team’s more valued prospects, not necessarily an actually high ranked prospect. Pretty much every team in the league would check in on Wilson if he was made available. What would a team like Toronto give up to bring Wilson home if they get bounced early again? I imagine quite a lot.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
That sounds like a pretty big ask for a UFA. Good roster player I'm assuming is top 9 who can give 35-45ish points, maybe 20 goals?, and high end prospect I'm assuming isn't just "teams best prospect", but an actual high ranked prospect?
I would pay that price in a heartbeat to have another Wilson on the roster.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I would pay that price in a heartbeat to have another Wilson on the roster.
Not if it was a UFA where the player was probably going to command a much bigger contract at 30.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Not if it was a UFA where the player was probably going to command a much bigger contract at 30.
Price like that would propably mean the player is willing to re-sign there.

And yes, i'd still do it.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
What does your competing LA Kings roster look like?
Fiala - Byfield - Vilardi
Kempe - Kupari - Kaliev
Fagemo - Danauld - Grundstrom
Iafallo- Lizotte - Lee

Anderson - Clarke
Gavrikov - Spence
Bjornfot - Grans

Portillo - Copley

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Fiala - Byfield - Vilardi
Kempe - Kupari - Kaliev
Fagemo - Danauld - Grundstrom
Iafallo- Lizotte - Lee

Anderson - Clarke
Gavrikov - Spence
Bjornfot - Grans

Portillo - Copley

Your cup competing roster has Byfield and Kupari as your top 2 C and Clarke and Spence as your to 2 RD? Backed by a goalie who has yet to play in the NHL? And this cup you're competing for is supposed to be sometime in the 2020s or will the rest of the West decide to take a year off?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Ok.
Bourgault, a 1st, Foegele for Wilson at 50%.
Anything more and I think it would hurt the Oilers

I think it would cost more than that unfortunately, but I would pay it.

Might be closer to 2023 2nd + 2024 1st + Borgault + Broberg. Then add Yamo for salary purposes.

Steep, but I’d do it.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023

Might be closer to 2023 2nd + 2024 1st + Borgault + Broberg. Then add Yamo for salary purposes.

Steep, but I’d do it.
I'd take it. Oilers are the one team that would benefit exceptionally from Wilson as they did from getting Ekholm. No other team needs someone protected as much as they need McDavid and Wilson is arguably the toughest player in the league who could play a regular shift with him without having to be carried in any capacity.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

Once again. As a fan of a team that perennially anoints themselves Cup Champions in November before golfing in April I’d suggest you hold off on the parade until we see what Jeannot has in store in the Playoffs. I suspect you may well be singing a different tune in a few short weeks (or will it be effectively a few short days).

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Lafallo, Turcotte and 1st for Tom Wilson
Turcotte is not enough of an established piece here and what he is doesn’t offset what Iafallo has established himself to be. This deal does extremely little to keep the Caps competitive today and if they’re basically tearing it down, they’ll have ZERO use for Iafallo. Distill the aggregate value here into a single Future and a smaller second piece.

Without any of the Kings Grade-A assets Wilson is probably off the table entirely.

I’m just not sold on Turcotte at all and would absolutely keep Wilson in this scenario.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Once again. As a fan of a team that perennially anoints themselves Cup Champions in November before golfing in April I’d suggest you hold off on the parade until we see what Jeannot has in store in the Playoffs. I suspect you may well be singing a different tune in a few short weeks (or will it be effectively a few short days).

Should have quoted my whole post... you left out the most important part, and it still applies.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Fortunately that’s not a trade we have to consider hypothetically. We remove nothing from the roster or futures cupboard and keep the player. Easy.

Should have quoted my whole post... you left out the most important part, and it still applies.
The hate that can only be bred by years, decades, hell, over half a century of failure and ineptitude.

You can call me an idiot all you like, like your team you are still and will always be a loser.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Kempe - Kopitar - Byfield
Fiala - Vilardi - Wilson
Moore - Danault - Arvidsson
Kaliyev - Kupari - Iafallo
*Grundstrom, Lizotte, Anderson-Dolan

Our depth up front is insane. Arthur Kaliyev NEEDS at least top 9 minutes next season. Guy was on pace for 30 goals had he actually had more minutes.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Turcotte is not enough of an established piece here and what he is doesn’t offset what Iafallo has established himself to be. This deal does extremely little to keep the Caps competitive today and if they’re basically tearing it down, they’ll have ZERO use for Iafallo. Distill the aggregate value here into a single Future and a smaller second piece.

Without any of the Kings Grade-A assets Wilson is probably off the table entirely.

I’m just not sold on Turcotte at all and would absolutely keep Wilson in this scenario.
Maybe Avidsson over Lafallo?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Maybe Avidsson over Lafallo?
I don’t think the Capitals would value a vet with a Cap Hit near $4M as a positive in either of these scenarios. I don’t think the Capitals would view the main piece in these scenarios (Turcotte) as enticing enough to deal with the Kings over likely better offers they would receive elsewhere.

If the deal doesn’t include a piece you don’t want to give up it’s a safe bet the Caps will get better offers. Perhaps Turcotte is that to some GMs, I don’t think the Caps would value him that way.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Lol for one year of Tom Wilson? No f***ing way
If it means we don’t have to part with Holloway, then I do it without question. Undoubtedly it’s 4 pretty good pieces, but we’re in win now mode and Wilson is a unique player that doesn’t have many comparables in this league.

Is Broberg going to supplant Nurse or Ekholm in the next 2 years? Can’t see it.

Is Borgault going to supplant anyone in our top 6 in that time? Can’t see it.

Will the 2023 2nd or 2024 1st produce a player that joins our roster in the next 2 years? Extremely unlikely.

We’ve got this playoffs and 2 more to take our best run at hoisting the cup, and I’m not sure there’ll be any player available in the next 2 years that could make the same impact as Wilson - even if it is just for a year. A top tough guy who can put up a 30-30 season and kill penalties. That’s a game changer. It also means your competition doesn’t get him (it would absolutely suck if the Kings landed him).

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Your cup competing roster has Byfield and Kupari as your top 2 C and Clarke and Spence as your to 2 RD? Backed by a goalie who has yet to play in the NHL? And this cup you're competing for is supposed to be sometime in the 2020s or will the rest of the West decide to take a year off?
The rest of the West is already AHL level and i don't see the Kings being a serious playoff team earlier than 2 years from now.
Competing starts in 3-4 years.
Everything earlier is pure illusion

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You spoke to GMs? Which ones, I’m curious? Oh wait, you didn’t and are just a liar, okay.

Fact is you have no idea what GMs thought of the Jeannot trade and until it plays out you’re also wrong to judge. Jeannot is on a good team that could very well contend. Maybe learn not to count eggs before they hatch.

Also, as opposed to Jeannot, Wilson has won a Stanley Cup and supported his offensive production over multiple seasons, so maybe you should just get lost or get a clue.
The internet is your friend. A quick search would bring this too light but hey call someone a lair and make yourself look bad.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Steep, but I’d do it.
Why bother putting in Broberg? You know he isn't available, it been reported him and Holloway are near untenable. It also not like we need Wilson.There no team in the west that are tougher than the Oilers are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad