Value of: Tom Wilson to LA? What would it cost?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I think they should hold on to him until he is worth nothing like Alexander Semin and Mike Green (Who I still hate)

Reactions: EquivalentStay

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Silly point but yes, if the Capitals thought of trading Wilson in 2017, he wouldn’t have been elite asset either. In his 5th season he was the top-line RW for the Cup winner. If Byfield does the same then sure, people will value him better.

Good for you. Who would you trade for him from the Oilers?
Nothing realistic off the roster and the Oilers can't afford his 5.16m(so picks/prospects don't work for either team)

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
You can frame it this way if you like. It’s highly disingenuous and transparent but you can if that’s your prerogative, just makes the entirety of your argument suspect.

Fact is Wilson is a 3-time 20 Goal scorer who could flirt with 30 if he played a Full Season with a healthy roster around him. He’s only missed 20 on several occasions because of shortened seasons. Wilson didn’t play above the 4th line in Washington until after 2017 since when he’s been a remarkably consistent 40-PT / 20-Goal player. Those are just the counting stats which are significantly better than you’re projecting. He’s also an absolute monster, hits, fights, kills penalties, is absolutely feared and gameplanned against, and has done something this generation of Oiler player has never done. I think we all know what that is. Your opinion is jaded and false but you do you.

LMAO Wilson is a good player but anything but feared. Last time he had a Wilson game when he took on Buchnevich and Panarin he had to hide in the locker room the following game against the rags while the Caps were getting the scoresheet and their faces caved in. The year before when he hit Carlo into the boards he was a complete daisy in the playoffs when the Bruins had their way with the caps on the way to a 4-1 series.

The mythology other caps fans have built around Wilson is hilarious and has absolutely nothing to do with what he has actually brought, which is a pile of second round exits, a cup run where he did his best to sabotage the team taking himself out of the second round for Zack Aston f***ing Reese and needing whipping boy Evgeny Kuznetsov to put the team on his shoulders and drag them past another 2nd round exit, and a pile of first round exits since

Last edited:

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
lol

Thank goodness you guys are no Kings managers.
This overreaction after McDavid is hillarious

Alone that names like Byfield or 1st rounders are involved for a soon to be 30 year old should close the thread immediately.

Calm down my fellow Kings peeps.... we are not competeing for at least 2 more years

You're competing once Kopitar is 38 and Doughty is 36?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I think we extend Wilson hopefully a deal is in the works. If he doesnt want to stay on the Capitals Im sure we would get a pretty large offer. I wouldnt accept any of the offers in this thread, you will not get Wilson for bargin bin discounts.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
GMs also thought that was insane and Jeannot is not a rental.

Fact is you have no idea what GMs thought of the Jeannot trade and until it plays out you’re also wrong to judge. Jeannot is on a good team that could very well contend. Maybe learn not to count eggs before they hatch.

Also, as opposed to Jeannot, Wilson has won a Stanley Cup and supported his offensive production over multiple seasons, so maybe you should just get lost or get a clue.

Last edited by a moderator:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I think they should hold on to him until he is worth nothing like Alexander Semin and Mike Green (Who I still hate)
If Tom Wilson is as resilient as your saltiness the Caps should re-sign him for infinity and only partially to spite you.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Backstrom is probably going nowhere on his contract so Schiefele would be replacing Kuznetsov who'd likely be gone for pennies on the dollar if he were to be moved. Backstrom also doesn't seem to be done, getting healthier if anything through probably slow and meh for the rest of his deal

If their term was the same and Kuznetsov had to be moved I'd be inclined for it but I highly doubt we'd extend Schiefele to a huge contract for his 30s, so the extra year Wilson has makes it not something I'd want one for one

What is the deal with Schiefele anyway, he's on a great contact yet Winnipeg seems over him
Maybe his shitty attitude?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
LMAO Wilson is a good player but anything but feared. Last time he had a Wilson game when he took on Buchnevich and Panarin he had to hide in the locker room the following game against the rags while the Caps were getting the scoresheet and their faces caved in. The year before when he hit Carlo into the boards he was a complete daisy in the playoffs when the Bruins had their way with the caps on the way to a 4-1 series.

The mythology other caps fans have built around Wilson is hilarious and has absolutely nothing to do with what he has actually brought, which is a pile of second round exits, a cup run where he did his best to sabotage the team taking himself out of the second round for Zack Aston f***ing Reese and needing whipping boy Evgeny Kuznetsov to put the team on his shoulders and drag them past another 2nd round exit, and a pile of first round exits since
Where has Kuznetsov dragged anyone or anything since that Playoff? He’s been a drag for sure but not in the way that you’re portraying. Meanwhile Tom Wilson has been the only player other than the obvious that doesn’t look like he phoned it in all season, this very season.

Listen, I get it. Some people like lazy floaters. I, for one, will take the guy who gives his all every shift. No one has ever accused Wilson of coasting, meanwhile the past four seasons it’s hard to defend Kuznetsov having done anything but dog it. If there’s a guy who should be traded before he loses value I know squarely where I will come down on that calculus.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Where has Kuznetsov dragged anyone or anything since that Playoff? He’s been a drag for sure but not in the way that you’re portraying. Meanwhile Tom Wilson has been the only player other than the obvious that doesn’t look like he phoned it in all season, this very season.

Listen, I get it. Some people like lazy floaters. I, for one, will take the guy who gives his all every shift. No one has ever accused Wilson of coasting, meanwhile the past four seasons it’s hard to defend Kuznetsov having done anything but dog it. If there’s a guy who should be traded before he loses value I know squarely where I will come down on that calculus.

Did Wilson give his all the almost 40 games in his career that he has been suspended, leaving his team shorthanded while not getting any cap relief to field a replacement beyond what they had (unlike with LTIR)? You'd have to coast A LOT to to match that.

The only cup this franchise has is thanks to Kuznetsov, who not only led the entire playoffs in points but dragged them past Pittsburgh the 4th time around, having to cover for Wilson getting himself out of the series in exchange for ZAR.

But hey, Wilson goes choo choo the last 5 seasons (when he plays) that they haven't come close to getting out of the 1st round, that counts for everything. I especially like how good they've been since he's come back vs while when him and Backstrom were gone, clearly a night and day difference

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Nothing realistic off the roster and the Oilers can't afford his 5.16m(so picks/prospects don't work for either team)
I meant Byfield as we were talking about him.

Purely value wise. I'm curious as you seem to value him like an elite asset still.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You spoke to GMs? Which ones, I’m curious? Oh wait, you didn’t and are just a liar, okay.

Fact is you have no idea what GMs thought of the Jeannot trade and until it plays out you’re also wrong to judge. Jeannot is on a good team that could very well contend. Maybe learn not to count eggs before they hatch.

Also, as opposed to Jeannot, Wilson has won a Stanley Cup and supported his offensive production over multiple seasons, so maybe you should just get lost or get a clue.

You are an idiot.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

So which is it. You bash him, yet he’s a good player. Pumping hate doesn’t do much to entice another fan base.

Smart GM’ing there my good man.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Good for you. Who would you trade for him from the Oilers?

I meant Byfield as we were talking about him.

Purely value wise. I'm curious as you seem to value him like an elite asset still.
🤷 you said from the Oilers....
We don't have a prospect like Byfield so I can't say who I would.
If it's Byfield to the Oilerd then I don't see the Kings accepting picks/prospects for him either. Also not offering "prime" roster players either

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
So which is it. You bash him, yet he’s a good player. Pumping hate doesn’t do much to entice another fan base.

Smart GM’ing there my good man.

He's a very good physical all situations ~50 point winger of the Zack Hyman mold (before the latter broke out way past that this year), he's not some terrifying force that single handedly changes games that teams fear and game plan for. Both can be true. He also drags the oldest most injury prone team in the NHL into physical back and forths that leave them more decimated than the younger teams they go up against.

He's also one of those players that's rated so highly by virtually anyone trying to get him that it doesn't make sense to pump his tires, just as it doesn't make sense to turn down big overpayments because we value him as PPG+ player just because

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
🤷 you said from the Oilers....
We don't have a prospect like Byfield so I can't say who I would.
If it's Byfield to the Oilerd then I don't see the Kings accepting picks/prospects for him either. Also not offering "prime" roster players either
Purely value wise and on a speculation only. Trying to gauge how you value him. Easiest to do with the assets you are most familiar with.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He's a very good physical all situations ~50 point winger of the Zack Hyman mold (before the latter broke out way past that this year), he's not some terrifying force that single handedly changes games that teams fear and game plan for who deserves to be on the same level as Ovechkin, Backstrom and Carlson. Both can be true. He also drags the oldest most injury prone team in the NHL into physical back and forths that leave them more decimated than the younger teams they go up against
You stand up for Kuz, but rail on Wilson? What do you think of Mantha? Speaking of issues.

Wilson is *NOT* an issue. He’s prob not even top 10 of issues for the Caps. Just his knee being OK. He looked good for missing half the season. He will be a beast next year. Year more recovery AND a contract year??

Reactions: AllAlphas

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Purely value wise and on a speculation only. Trying to gauge how you value him. Easiest to do with the assets you are most familiar with.
Ok.
Bourgault, a 1st, Foegele for Wilson at 50%.
Anything more and I think it would hurt the Oilers

Last edited:

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
You stand up for Kuz, but rail on Wilson? What do you think of Mantha? Speaking of issues.

Wilson is *NOT* an issue. He’s prob not even top 10 of issues for the Caps. Just his knee being OK. He looked good for missing half the season. He will be a beast next year. Year more recovery AND a contract year??
Wilson has not had a single season as impactful as the one Kuz had just last year. He has less playoff points in his career (8 seasons) than Kuz has in a single one. Yet one one of these players is uniformly placed on a pedestal above the other. His PK play is nice but his physical play is a double edged sword that has harmed the team on numerous occasions unlike, say, Ovechkin's.

Mantha was a terrible trade from the get go, compounded by the fact that he was immediately Erat'd into playing LW despite deriving all of his effectiveness as a RW one time/snap shot sniper. It was also done because GMBM got it in his head that we need more big heavy Tom Wilson like players (Mantha is hardly the same type but you can read GMBM raving about how much bigger and tougher to play against our team got after that trade).

I'm sure Wilson will be good next year, but they're unlikely to compete and he will probably get overpaid more than Lucic did on his UFA contract. So I would listen on him

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It’s actually an interesting discussion on the Caps board. Next year is the final year of his contract. He’s always mentioned as a future captain in Washington but he had serious injuries this year and he just turned 29. If the Caps can’t come to terms with him on an extension they have to consider trading him — they can’t let Tom Wilson walk away for free next summer, especially if they’re retooling.

I imagine the ask would be significant. 1st + good roster player + high end prospect. Anyone surplus to requirements for LA in their top six? Would Kempe be available? Either of Turcotte or Spence on the table? I assume Byfield and Clarke are not.
That sounds like a pretty big ask for a UFA. Good roster player I'm assuming is top 9 who can give 35-45ish points, maybe 20 goals?, and high end prospect I'm assuming isn't just "teams best prospect", but an actual high ranked prospect?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad