Tkachuk or Marner

Who would make the Leafs better now?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
I do think there will be a day where Brady is more valuable than Marner. That day is not today.

Come back in 3 years, perhaps a different story.

This.
Brady is a different type of player and will develop at a different timeline. Leafs have showed that you need more than non physical, high skill players to win a game

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
Put Marner on the Sens, you think he gets over 90 points? Both are in different situations and bring different skill sets to the roster. The comparison of who’s better is very close

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
It's closer than many people pretend here and Tkachuk would actually be a much better fit for Toronto.

Marner plays in all situations. He is not some one trick pony. I love Brady Tkachuk, and there’s not a lot of guys in the league who have mixture of skill/grit/ character/ leadership.. but Marner is close to a 100 point guy and kills penalties. He is special and is going to get better.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Right or wrong, most people nowadays associate value and worth with a players AAV. I guarantee the replies in this thread would be different if Tkachuk wasn't on an entry level contract.

Myself, I take Tkachuk. His physicality combined with his personality turn me on more. I think he's going to have more impact on a game than Marner. Especially in a playoff game.

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Right or wrong, most people nowadays associate value and worth with a players AAV. I guarantee the replies in this thread would be different if Tkachuk wasn't on an entry level contract.

Myself, I take Tkachuk. His physicality combined with his personality turn me on more. I think he's going to have more impact on a game than Marner. Especially in a playoff game.
Brady tkachuk likely won't ever play a playoff game for Ottawa.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Excluding contracts I think Marner is a better player right now. Not by a crazy amount but I think he has an edge. I do however think that Brady isnt a crazy amount off going forward in a year or two. And I also think his style of game is exactly what the Leafs need for that butter soft lineup they currently have.

In similar situations, Marner might top out at 5-10 points more a season but not sure they cancels out Bradys rare skill set either.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Matt vs Marner is a debate. Flames might take Brady even though Marner is better just for the chaos

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nother goal for Brady. He's just a better scorer then marner too.

You think he manages to catch up to Marner's point totals before Marner gets back from injury in 4 weeks? It's the only time he'll ever be close.

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
You think he manages to catch up to Marner's point totals before Marner gets back from injury in 4 weeks? It's the only time he'll ever be close.

I think so, but even so, it's not all about the points. He's already pasted Marner's goal total.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Yikes. This thread is off the rails.

Why is Matthew Tkachuk being used to compare Brady Tkachuk and Mitch Marner??? You guys know that Brady and Matthew are two different players, right?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Brady is 3 years younger, and is doing more than Marner did at his age.

Brady scored 22 goals the year he got drafted.

Marner was in the OHL the year he got drafted, scored 19 the second year after he got drafted, and finally matched Brady with 22 goal three years after he got drafted.

And that's just looking at goals, without even considering style of play or intangibles required in the playoffs.

It's a tough call this season, since Marner is older and more mature. But as early as next season, you'd think the obvious answer will be Tkachuk.

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
I think so, but even so, it's not all about the points. He's already pasted Marner's goal total.

Marner was in the OHL the year he got drafted, scored 19 the second year after he got drafted, and finally matched Brady with 22 goal three years after he got drafted.

And that's just looking at goals, without even considering style of play or intangibles required in the playoffs.

It's a tough call this season, since Marner is older and more mature. But as early as next season, you'd think the obvious answer will be Tkachuk.

Ladies and gentleman, I've officially seen it all on HF, a 45 point player is better than a 94 point player! Are you guys being serious right now? Holy mama....

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Ladies and gentleman, I've officially seen it all on HF, a 45 point player is better than a 94 point player! Are you guys being serious right now? Holy mama....

Did anyone say that? Are you being serious right now?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Goal scoring isn't the only thing that matters when comparing a player's offensive contributions.

Unless Brady takes the same sort of massive leap in production that his brother did last season, then I don't see how it's even close. Marner's an elite playmaking winger, while Tkachuk is a good top six power winger.

It's like comparing Patrick Kane and Evander Kane and concluding Evander is better because of his play style and intangibles.

Reactions: Chompchompr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad