Tkachuk or Marner

Who would make the Leafs better now?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Goal scoring isn't the only thing that matters when comparing a player's offensive contributions.

Unless Brady takes the same sort of massive leap in production that his brother did last season, then I don't see how it's even close. Marner's an elite playmaking winger, while Tkachuk is a good top six power winger.

It's like comparing Patrick Kane and Evander Kane and concluding Evander is better because of his play style and intangibles.

"Production doesn't matter unless it's the kind of production I want to matter"

The fact is, they both have similar goal scoring production, despite Brady being on a much worse team, and despite Brady being 3 years younger.

Beyond goal scoring, Marner brings a playmaking element, while Brady brings a physical element. Depends what you need.

valet

obviously adhd
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
leafs are soft, I think they'd value a player like tkachuk more than marner, tbh, but marner is still very good and probably the superior player right now

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Unless Brady takes the same sort of massive leap in production that his brother did last season, then I don't see how it's even close. Marner's an elite playmaking winger, while Tkachuk is a good top six power winger.

Also, his stats say otherwise:

Brady Tkachuk is already a bona fide star. The surface stats just don't show it yet - TheHockeyNews

His stat line isn't eye-popping yet, but the big agitator is already one of the elite scoring-chance generators in the NHL. A monster statistical spike is coming.

Tkachuk leads the league in expected goals per 60 minutes and high-danger chances per 60 minutes by a wide margin. And he’s doing all this despite facing opposing teams’ best defenders every night. Tkachuk’s most common opponents include Zdeno Chara, Charlie McAvoy, Morgan Rielly, Jacob Trouba and Alex Pietrangelo. It’s early, but it’s clear other teams view Tkachuk as the Senators’ top threat – and he’s still performing as the NHL’s best shot generator despite that.

Reactions: Rals and NyQuil

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
LOL

This is such crap. It isn't even true about his much better brother. You are wildly overrating the grit and other stuff that guys bring. It isn't nothing but it certainly doesn't make up for the huge skill gap between Brady and Marner.

I think some people are confused as to which Tkachuk is being compared to Marner.

Brady is a fine young player but he is a notch below his brother and Marner.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Brady over Marner. But Marner over Matthews. Matthew over Brady. Keith over both of them. But Keith's DNA over Keith.

Keith's DNA> Matthews.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
So we want to move Kapanen into the top 6 and have one of our top 6 LWers play bottom 6 or even 4th line? Smrt

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
And he scores the OT winner against the Habs to give us more wins then the leafs.

Again. All I'm saying is he would have made the leafs a better team then marner.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
I get that Tkachuk is gritty and that's something the Leafs are lacking in, but come on. He's not helping the Leafs more than 94 point Mitch Marner. These two players aren't even remotely in the same league. Maybe Tkachuk gets there some day, but he's got miles to go before he's even close to that level. Marner is a game breaking talent and his recent injury has made me realize even more how much he's needed. The Leafs have looked lost and almost robot like with their offense since he went down. Marner is the guy that brings the creativity and creates plays out of nothing.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Marner is the better player but Brady still has 2 years on ELC and is a good player too.

This is easy. You take Brady and you have 10M for help elsewhere

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Ladies and gentleman, I've officially seen it all on HF, a 45 point player is better than a 94 point player! Are you guys being serious right now? Holy mama....
I mean I do agree Marner is definitely the superior players and one for one is the better option, but it all depends what you did with the extra 10 mill cap space. So theoretically it could make the leafs better team. I voted Marner though

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Marner is the more skilled player, but if I were starting a team, I would take Brady every time.

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
I get that Tkachuk is gritty and that's something the Leafs are lacking in, but come on. He's not helping the Leafs more than 94 point Mitch Marner. These two players aren't even remotely in the same league. Maybe Tkachuk gets there some day, but he's got miles to go before he's even close to that level. Marner is a game breaking talent and his recent injury has made me realize even more how much he's needed. The Leafs have looked lost and almost robot like with their offense since he went down. Marner is the guy that brings the creativity and creates plays out of nothing.

Brady also creates chances, but often doesn't get a point for it, and sometimes a more complicated game isn't good. Depends on your team. Brady also has a better scoring touch. Marner is just a passing weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad