Tkachuk or Marner

Who would make the Leafs better now?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
But if you're a a team with a surplus of skill and a deficit of grit, what is going to give you greater returns (wins).

And skill + grit, size. Not a whole lot of players in that category.

You replace a lesser player then. You don't replace your leading point producer over the last 2 years for a guy of lesser skill with some grit. It's like getting rid of a dynamic offensive talent in Taylor Hall in exchange for a decent defender in Adam Larsson because you have a surplus of offensive talent and a deficit of defensive talent.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
You replace a lesser player then. You don't replace your leading point producer over the last 2 years for a guy of lesser skill with some grit. It's like getting rid of a dynamic offensive talent in Taylor Hall in exchange for a decent defender in Adam Larsson because you have a surplus of offensive talent and a deficit of defensive talent.

You cut too deep.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Tavares = Matthew Tkachuk > Brady Tkachuk > Marner > everyone else on Toronto.
I hate the Leafs and will never cheer for them but holy cow would it be fun if they could switch Marner and Matthews out with the Tkachuk brothers. Would make for awesome TV. Wouldn't take long for the NHL to be marked like WWE.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
How is Brady a 60 pt. player and Marner an 80? Those numbers aren't grounded in reality. Marner scored 50 more points last season.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Off the top of my head, 28/31 teams pick Marner (without considering contracts)
Calgary, Tampa, and Toronto being the 3/31

No Calgary easily takes Marner over Brady Tkachuk.

In fact I think they would be near the top of the list of teams that take Marner. I would say the list of teams that take Marner would be 31/31 with zero teams even consider taking Brady for half a second.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I’m not sure man. Brady I think will be a great player on his own right but I think every team takes Marner on this one. I would dare say that he would definitely be one of the best players ever for the Flames as well.

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
I was going to say Tkachuk when first reading title....but Brady?

Looool.

Marner and it isn't close.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014

Calgary has been having issues filling the RW hole since Iginla left and we pass on the top scoring RW? I'm confused as to why?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Brady Tkachuk or Mitch Marner.

I'm arguing with a friend over who would make the leafs better right now.

I say Brady.

Well if it was the other Tkachuk it would be a close question but as much as I like Brady he is a clear notch below Marner and his brother.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You can make all kinds of physicality and intangible arguments you want but it's Marner until something dramatic changes.

I get that the Leafs are lacking in that department but the production/skill level would have to be closer in order to make the argument IMO.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Tkachuk brings something to the table the Leafs desperately need.

However, Marner is just way too good. Marner all the way.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
iu

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I do think there will be a day where Brady is more valuable than Marner. That day is not today.

Come back in 3 years, perhaps a different story.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The margin was 49 points last season and I think that's large enough. This season Marner is pacing for 30 points more than Tkachuk. And you specified that we're talking about who'd make the Leafs better right now so I don't think there's much of a debate here.

Yikes, I'm defending the Leafs. I'll head out.

You're almost making the argument that Brady is younger and closing the gap in point difference year by year.

Obviously Marner is the better scorer. I guess the question is would you rather have an ~80 pts finesse player or a ~60 pts does everything heart and soul player.

Like when Roberts and mogilny were both on the leafs, Roberts made a bigger difference in a playoff series even though mogilny would get more points.

Last edited:

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
It's closer than many people pretend here and Tkachuk would actually be a much better fit for Toronto.

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
You're almost making the argument that Brady is younger and closing the gap in point difference year by year.

Obviously Marner is the better scorer. I guess the question is would you rather have an ~80 pts finesse player or a ~60 pts does everything heart and soul player.

Like when Roberts and mogilny were both on the leafs, Roberts made a bigger difference in a playoff series even though mogilny would get more points.

Hey. You get it.

Rookie seasons
Marner: 77, 19-42-61
Brady: 71, 22-23-45

Comparing these players at 94 vs 45 would give anyone who doesn't watch these two players play that there's a world of difference in there value, there isn't. People responding like its absurd question are massively undervaluing Brady (let's be honest they don't watch Sens games).

And the idea that a team might have a need for a completely different skill to create more wins is to complicated for people who look at score sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad