Tim Stutzle vs Auston Matthews Contracts Included

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
And Matthews was playing injured most of the season
Seems like an excuse, as it's not like his productivity skyrocketed the next year.

In fact his D+3 ppg (1.07) fit right in between his D+2 ppg (1.02) and his D+4 ppg (1.14), pretty much exactly where you'd expect it. Hard to argue that his injury held him back the whole season.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Seems like an excuse, as it's not like his productivity skyrocketed the next year.

In fact his D+3 ppg (1.07) fit right in between his D+2 ppg (1.02) and his D+4 ppg (1.14), pretty much exactly where you'd expect it. Hard to argue that his injury held him back the whole season.
He had to change his whole game, his wonky wrist removed his quick shot so he had to use his size more, get better position. He also really picked up his 2 way game, so in a way I can concede that the injury will have made him a better player in the long run.

You just have to watch the player to see why he’s a better fit at C.

He hasn’t gone back to the wing for one and a half seasons after his points-per-game skyrocketed with the move to pivot.
fair enough, but the stat watcher in me sees the 41% and puckers up at the thought of Tim taking a draw on the pk

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Well, thankfully it’s a skill that can improved.

If Giroux is on the ice with him, he will sometimes take the key faceoffs instead.
who would be the other fwd with Tim on the pk?

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Lol, obviously never saw him on wing compared to centre. Then last January started PKing, and had 3 shorties.
so what is it that allowed him to have more success at center rather than wing? usually its easier to play wing

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He had to change his whole game, his wonky wrist removed his quick shot so he had to use his size more, get better position. He also really picked up his 2 way game, so in a way I can concede that the injury will have made him a better player in the long run.
If it effected his ppg so much, why did his ppg not jump the following season (despite being 1 year older as well)?

I could see it effecting his play and scoring mix, but if it really hampered his ability to collect points I think we would have seen a dip, but we didn't. We saw a slight increase from his D+2 season, and then another slight bump into his D+4 season.

so what is it that allowed him to have more success at center rather than wing? usually its easier to play wing
His game is built for center.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

He’s an east-west skater who can buy time and space with his skating and stick handling.

He might be a better winger now than he was in that he’s a bit bigger and stronger but he plays better with a degree of freedom on the ice.

He’s not really a north-south guy. Yes there are east-west wingers out there like Kucherov and Marner but Stutzle is just much better at C.

Tage Thompson is another guy whose production went through the roof after moving to C, and he’s 6’6.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Carries the puck out of zone a lot from behind net, has more room to go east west, drives the play with speed. Lots of reasons stand out when watching,

You’re hopeless, just go away.
Lmao says the guy who just got proven wrong over and over, with facts.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If it effected his ppg so much, why did his ppg not jump the following season (despite being 1 year older as well)?

I could see it effecting his play and scoring mix, but if it really hampered his ability to collect points I think we would have seen a dip, but we didn't. We saw a slight increase from his D+2 season, and then another slight bump into his D+4 season.

His game is built for center.
a few reasons, in his 60g year he wasn't getting goal support from linemates so no chance to rack up assists, then the injury, then playing nervous during recovery.
I predict a 55/55 year all while being a 2 way beast and collection points on the pk

He’s an east-west skater who can buy time and space with his skating and stick handling.

He might be a better winger now than he was in that he’s a bit bigger and stronger but he plays better with a degree of freedom on the ice.

He’s not really a north-south guy. Yes there are east-west wingers out there like Kucherov and Marner but Stutzle is just much better at C.

Tage Thompson is another guy whose production went through the roof after moving to C, and he’s 6’6.
ahh kk makes sense, we have Marner and although he is a winger he is allowed to roam like a center, Matthews and Marner are quite good at switching off on the fly

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Now do the same for Matthews

When its a part of the OP’s question it does.

As said earlier in the thread if you have to include contracts you are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Including contracts doesn't make the peg any less square or the hole any less round.

Either one player is better than another or they are not,contracts have nothing to do with it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
As said earlier in the thread if you have to include contracts you are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Including contracts doesn't make the peg any less square or the hole any less round.

Either one player is better than another or they are not,contracts have nothing to do with it.
That only makes sense in a non cap world.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Pretending that the salary cap doesn’t exist is certainly putting a square peg in a round hole.

Start yet another poll about Stutzle and Matthews, this time in an imaginary world without contracts, and you’ll get that sweet sweet HF poll victory that you’re so desperate for.

I’ll even vote for Auston for you, and you can all take a massive sigh of relief and bask in the warm glow of seeing a higher percentage of random people on the internet choosing your player.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ijuka

May 14, 2016

The salary cap exists, though. Taking it into account is quite logical, actually.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Pretending that the salary cap doesn’t exist is certainly putting a square peg in a round hole.

Start yet another poll about Stutzle and Matthews, this time in an imaginary world without contracts, and you’ll get that sweet sweet HF poll victory that you’re so desperate for.

I’ll even vote for Auston for you, and you can all take a massive sigh of relief and bask in the warm glow of seeing a higher percentage of random people on the internet choosing your player.

The cap exists but cap hits have 0 to do with who the better player is.

Baring injury Bedard is going to have a better offensive season than Killorn Bedard will be the better player.

He will be the better player because he's a better play.

Contracts have nothing to do with that he just is.

Auston Matthews is better than Tim Stuzle, contracts have nothing to do with that, he just is.

Contracts are included so that you can try your hardest to make that square peg fit into that round hole.

But the reality is Matthews is a better player

Contracts don't change that.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Baring injury Bedard is going to have a better offensive season than Killorn Bedard will be the better player.

Auston Matthews is better than Tim Stuzle, contracts have nothing to do with that, he just is.

Contracts are included so that you can try your hardest to make that square peg fit into that round hole.

The title of the thread has contracts included. Make your own thread if you and Leafs fans can't follow instructions? Why is it so hard to understand?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Carries the puck out of zone a lot from behind net, has more room to go east west, drives the play with speed. Lots of reasons stand out when watching,

Lmao says the guy who just got proven wrong over and over, with facts.

Lol you’re more worried about winning an argument than you are about actually being right.

You put zero effort into understanding what anyone else is saying, you’re too focused on ‘winning’. You haven’t proved a thing lmfao

The title of the thread has contracts included. Make your own thread if you and Leafs fans can't follow instructions? Why is it so hard to understand?

The contracts aren’t as big of a deciding factor as you may think they are.

Would the Leafs trade Matthews for Stutzle? Would Ottawa turn it down? Of course not, to either.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The contracts aren’t as big of a deciding factor as you may think they are.

Would the Leafs trade Matthews for Stutzle? Would Ottawa turn it down? Of course not, to either.

Why on Earth would the Senators trade for a guy making 5 million more dollars for 3 fewer years when they are already in cap trouble to the tune of having issues signing their #3C?

He's not enough of an upgrade to swallow that kind of financial hit, not to mention, Ottawa's contending window isn't open yet so they need those extra years from a #1C under contract.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

This entire post makes no sense given the premise of the thread that we're currently posting in and the question that was asked.

Killorn is both a worse player and has a worse contract than Bedard. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Matthews is 26 and realistically has 4 or 5 more prime years and then likely starts to decline a bit. Stutzle is 21 and on a much cheaper deal.
The poll is not who is the better player but who you would take between the two. Four or five years of prime Matthews or 9 years of prime Stutzle. It’s a tough question tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad