This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
If Pittsburgh end up winning the first overall pick in 2025. This trade could end up horribly. Pretty sure Dubas believed the Penguins would make the playoff this year.

Pens won't make the playoffs, but they're statistically a top 10 team in the league this season at 5on5. An average powerplay would have had them comfortably making the playoffs. There would have no benefit to tank next season, Sullivan would be canned before they fall that much in the standings

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Pens won't make the playoffs, but they're statistically a top 10 team in the league this season at 5on5. An average powerplay would have had them comfortably making the playoffs. There would have no benefit to tank next season, Sullivan would be canned before they fall that much in the standings

It’s hard for people who don’t watch to understand how bad the power play has been.

Not just the lack of offense.

The short-handed goals against and breakaways immediately after.

Never seen anything like it in 3+ decades of being a Pens fan.

The power play has stunk more than a post chili dog fart.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
According to PK Subban Crosby is still the best player in the league and the amount of people agreeing with him is insane.

• Haha
Reactions: DickSmehlik

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
You don't need to ''out tank'' the shark. Finishing in the bottom 6 give you a lot of chance of winning the lottery.
Bottom 11 **. You can move up 10 spots, so spot 11 or "lower" can win the lottery and pick 1st overall.

Reactions: rahad

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
That Power Play, though... Yikes.

I only occasionally see the Pens play, so it's hard for me to figure out how their PP is so bad. Obviously they thought adding Karlsson would improve it, but it has not. One Pens' broadcaster made the comment recently that he thinks Karlsson is too slow, basically (too deliberate), on the PP, and that he needs to move the puck faster. I don't know.

When Columbus and Chicago have a better PP than the one with Malkin, Letang, Karlsson, Crosby and (until recently) Guentzel, you know there's an issue. I agree with the idea that if their PP was just a little above average, they'd be in a Wild Card playoff spot now.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
That Power Play, though... Yikes.

I only occasionally see the Pens play, so it's hard for me to figure out how their PP is so bad. Obviously they thought adding Karlsson would improve it, but it has not. One Pens' broadcaster made the comment recently that he thinks Karlsson is too slow, basically (too deliberate), on the PP, and that he needs to move the puck faster. I don't know.

When Columbus and Chicago have a better PP than the one with Malkin, Letang, Karlsson, Crosby and (until recently) Guentzel, you know there's an issue. I agree with the idea that if their PP was just a little above average, they'd be in a Wild Card playoff spot now.
Their power play has been the difference of being a playoff team or not for awhile.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
I see. Well, what's your analysis of it? What is the main PP issue?
Their power play hasn’t been the same since Hornqvist left, and to a lesser extent, Kessel. They have zero net front presence and 90% of their play comes from the right side. Said more succinctly, they’re too predictable; they’re pinned to the perimeter.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
One Pens' broadcaster made the comment recently that he thinks Karlsson is too slow, basically (too deliberate), on the PP, and that he needs to move the puck faster. I don't know.
It's not karlsson, it's the players he passes to. If they also try to make a play, they f***ed up. Karlsson is the playmaker. Every single other player needs to key off him. If that means Crosby and Malkin can't play on the same PP unit, then so be it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slimmy

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
It's not karlsson, it's the players he passes to. If they also try to make a play, they f***ed up. Karlsson is the playmaker. Every single other player needs to key off him. If that means Crosby and Malkin can't play on the same PP unit, then so be it.
If every other player needs to adjust their game to him for him to be successful, he might just not be that good.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
If every other player needs to adjust their game to him for him to be successful, he might just not be that good.
Bro 2 PP QBs doesn't f***ing work. You are seeing the results.

Karlsson is an elite playmaker from the point, great shot and pass, you need someone who is going to go down low and give him a target or screen the goalie, or play off him activating from the point. The moment the player on the half wall takes the puck and starts playmaking, you have wasted your elite talent on point.

Last edited:

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Nobody on the team is an alpha on the power play.

It's a lot of trying to set up the perfect pass and nobody taking a shot.

Also there is likely nobody coaching it.
Too many alphas. They all think they are the playmaker.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Bro 2 PP QBs doesn't f***ing work. You are seeing the results.

Karlsson is an elite playmaker from the point, great shot and pass, you need someone who is going to go down low and give him a target or screen the goalie, or play off him activating from the point. The moment the player on the half wall takes the puck and starts playmaking, you have wasted your elite talent on point.
So that's why EK's team has only managed a top 10 PP once in his career? Which was a multi-QB PP with him and Burns

Reactions: wetcoast

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
So that's why EK's team has only managed a top 10 PP once in his career? Which was a multi-QB PP with him and Burns
Just telling you why your PP utterly sucks and is costing you a playoff spot. But hey I'm sure the same coach again will figure it out.

Karlsson has the most powerplay points by a D over the course of his career and the only 100 point scorer on a team he played with was himself, I'm sure you have better options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slimmy

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Mike Sullivan has got to go....

It's just bad. Complacency has set in. A new coach needs to come in and light a fire under this team. Even if you're the biggest Mike Sullivan in the world you should probably agree. It's not even about him being a good or bad coach, sometimes coaches simply have a shelf life when things dont "click" anymore, and a change was so obviously needed last off-season, but for some reason they didn't do it.

If they let go of him today - it's still possible to salvage this season and have them make playoffs. Uphill battle, so nothing is certain - but keeping him just seems dumb and pointless.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
From what I can tell, they aren’t. I watched a lot of last nights game, looks like Malkin and Karlsson are pushed to PP2

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This is how basically every normal Pens fan I know personally feels. I've seen 4 finals and 3 wins in my life. They were playing meaningful hockey every year since my freshman year of high school.
So true.
Same for us old guy Habs fans.
All the winning and meaningful hockey they played every spring made it easier to take when Molson and Bergevin put the team in rhe basement and permanently lowered the bar of expectations.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

It's just bad. Complacency has set in. A new coach needs to come in and light a fire under this team. Even if you're the biggest Mike Sullivan in the world you should probably agree. It's not even about him being a good or bad coach, sometimes coaches simply have a shelf life when things dont "click" anymore, and a change was so obviously needed last off-season, but for some reason they didn't do it.

If they let go of him today - it's still possible to salvage this season and have them make playoffs. Uphill battle, so nothing is certain - but keeping him just seems dumb and pointless.
I agree and heard many Pens hope for the same thing. When they lost to the 24th place habs in the "play in". When they lost to Islanders twice in first round. When they blew series leads against Rangers. When they missed play offs all together losing to the tanking Hawks in game 81 last season. At home!
When Dubas brought in 5 decent players this season including the current Norris trophy winner and the team got worse.
If a coach is not replaced after all that it Begs the question ......is winning even a goal any more?
Where is the bar set at now ? Selling a million hot dogs?

Reactions: Darren McCord

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
According to PK Subban Crosby is still the best player in the league and the amount of people agreeing with him is insane.
Another dumb Subban take...But, I would love to know how Crosby would do on a top NHL team, if he traded spots with Miller in Vancouver, Kucherov in Tampa, Pasta in Boston, Panarin in New York, Rantanen in Colorado, would he have the same point totals as them? I think yes. So to me he would be right behind McDavid and MacKinnon.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The new coach bump has been a real thing for Pittsburgh in the Crosby era on multiple occasions.

While it is time for a fresh start for both Sullivan and the team, I don't think a new coach can salvage much here with respect to any more legitimate cup contention ( I actually havent considered them legitimate contenders for years now). The odometer is maxed out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad