This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
People in this thread just for the schadenfreude.
They won 3 cups in the last 15 years, no king rules forever.

I wouldn't give a shit if I was a Pens fan, there was plenty of recent success.
This is how basically every normal Pens fan I know personally feels. I've seen 4 finals and 3 wins in my life. They were playing meaningful hockey every year since my freshman year of high school.

golfortennis1

Mar 18, 2022
We couldn't even get a 1st round pick out of the best forward on the trade market this year. I shudder to think what 71 and 58 would bring back. (spoiler alert: they're going down with the ship)

Agreed. 85% of Letang's value nowadays is the fact he is among the longest trio of teammates in NA sports history. ie., the Pens are the only ones who consider him anything more than a run of the mill defenseman at this point. Malkin is just too beat up from all the years of playing to command anything of real value. Crosby is the only valuable trade chip, and, well, we all know the other factors there.

I really do hope Crosby signs elsewhere as a free agent. The man should not have his playoff career ended by the strangest coaching tenure in history.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Why is this thread so long and why is there so many posts in it , its really not a big deal they were awesome for like a decade

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
People in this thread just for the schadenfreude.
They won 3 cups in the last 15 years, no king rules forever.

I wouldn't give a shit if I was a Pens fan, there was plenty of recent success.
I'm not mad about the team falling from grace, I'm mad that the organization thinks Sullivan is this coaching GOD that cannot ever be fired or replaced. That's the only thing that's sapping me of any interest in this club.

Fire Sullivan and I don't even care how bad they are for the next decade, I'm right back on supporting this team 100%.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Agreed. 85% of Letang's value nowadays is the fact he is among the longest trio of teammates in NA sports history.
Powerplay Points per 60 for defensemen, minimum 75 total powerplay minutes played on season

Letang is 58th out of 58th qualified Defensemen with 1.44 PPP/60.
57th is 1.96 PPP/60
44th is 3.00 PPP/60
43rd is 3.07 PPP/60
30th is 3.87 PPP/60
29th is 3.89 PPP/60

Needless to say, Letang has been pretty brutally bad on the powerplay this season.

Reactions: EquivalentStay

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
I'm not mad about the team falling from grace, I'm mad that the organization thinks Sullivan is this coaching GOD that cannot ever be fired or replaced. That's the only thing that's sapping me of any interest in this club.

Fire Sullivan and I don't even care how bad they are for the next decade, I'm right back on supporting this team 100%.
Totally understandable.
Throw the bread out if it's stale, even though you're just gonna eat it with butter and water.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Powerplay Points per 60 for defensemen, minimum 75 total powerplay minutes played on season

Letang is 58th out of 58th qualified Defensemen with 1.44 PPP/60.
57th is 1.96 PPP/60
44th is 3.00 PPP/60
43rd is 3.07 PPP/60
30th is 3.87 PPP/60
29th is 3.89 PPP/60

Needless to say, Letang has been pretty brutally bad on the powerplay this season.
Letang doesn't play on the top unit. I mean, he's not great on the PP. So I'm not arguing that. But to use his production this year against him is pretty odd considering he's been on the second unit pretty much all season.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Letang doesn't play on the top unit. I mean, he's not great on the PP. So I'm not arguing that. But to use his production this year against him is pretty odd considering he's been on the second unit pretty much all season.
I used a minutes played qualifier to show he's last amongst qualifiers. Not sure what's "odd", it's an indicator of how he's fallen off. Realistically, nobody would want him to use him on a PP2 at present day.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I used a minutes played qualifier to show he's last amongst qualifiers. Not sure what's "odd", it's an indicator of how he's fallen off. Realistically, nobody would want him to use him on a PP2 at present day.
But my point is he gets so little PP time this season that it's pointless to even focus on how he's performed in that area.

That's like judging a PKer and how good he is on the PK when he averages 10 seconds of PK time per game.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
But my point is he gets so little PP time this season that it's pointless to even focus on how he's performed in that area.

That's like judging a PKer and how good he is on the PK when he averages 10 seconds of PK time per game.
he's had enough to meet my minutes played qualifer... one of 58 defensemen to do so, a bit less than 2 per team... and I used power play points per 60 to adjust for minutes played from there. I'm not sure what's confusing.

Your PK analogy doesn't work, 10 seconds times 65 games is 650 seconds, that's less than 11 minutes cumulatively on the season. My qualifier was far far more than that.

Letang has played the 36th most minutes of any defenseman in the NHL on the powerplay. There are 32 teams. He's had his opportunities on the powerplay, he just isn't producing. Not sure why it's not a fair point to bring up when discussing his specific value?

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada

My thoughts exactly

Their gamble on EK didn't pan out. As i predicted.

Sullivan ruined/neutered EK as I predicted

Reactions: Chabot84 and Chips

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Their gamble on EK didn't pan out. As i predicted.
EK is nowhere near the top of the Penguins list of issues. He's playing below market value for his cap hit, yes, but not Darnell Nurse levels of disparity. He's been our best player in like a quarter of the games this season.

The value in the EK65 trade is it allowed the Penguins to move cap from 4 bad contracts out of Pittsburgh into one Erik Karlsson. Not a bad move when you look at it in a vacuum. In retrospect, yes, Penguins needed more depth versus one 10 million dollar Erik Karlsson. But would we have been able to get more depth and get out of the 4 contracts we got out of?

I don't hate the EK65 trade, actually, it was a pretty sick maneuver. I just hate everything else Dubas has done for this team.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
EK is nowhere near the top of the Penguins list of issues. He's playing below market value for his cap hit, yes, but not Darnell Nurse levels of disparity. He's been our best player in like a quarter of the games this season.

The value in the EK65 trade is it allowed the Penguins to move cap from 4 bad contracts out of Pittsburgh into one Erik Karlsson. Not a bad move when you look at it in a vacuum. In retrospect, yes, Penguins needed more depth versus one 10 million dollar Erik Karlsson. But would we have been able to get more depth and get out of the 4 contracts we got out of?

I don't hate the EK65 trade, actually, it was a pretty sick maneuver. I just hate everything else Dubas has done for this team.
You do know that San jose has Pittsburgh first round pick right? It could easily become a top 3-10 pick for San Jose.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
How on earth did Kyle Dumbass build us an amazing team LMFAO. He did absolutely nothing here. Pissed away picks for rentals, gave away good players like McCann, Kadri and Hyman, was an absolute disaster with his evaluation of goalies and set the country club culture of overpaying everyone. Dumbass was handed the best thing he could have imagined and did absolutely jack all with it. A truly unmitigated disaster of a GM.

If the job was pissing away picks for rentals, overpaying everyone, establishing a country club culture, and getting rid of good players for essentially nothing, then yes I guess you could say that. Absolutely deplorable GM, I feel so bad for Sid.
Don't forget the Marleau acquision, contract, and subsequent trade

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
You do know that San jose has Pittsburgh first round pick right? It could easily become a top 3-10 pick for San Jose.
Yes, I'm well aware. As it's looking, it will probably get protected this year and then go unprotected next year for a high pick. But again that's more the fault of the other moves Dubas made and not the Karlsson trade.

Reactions: karltonian

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Yes, I'm well aware. As it's looking, it will probably get protected this year and then go unprotected next year for a high pick. But again that's more the fault of the other moves Dubas made and not the Karlsson trade.
If Pittsburgh end up winning the first overall pick in 2025. This trade could end up horribly. Pretty sure Dubas believed the Penguins would make the playoff this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad