This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
I kind of hope Crosby gets traded to the Avs or the Habs. :) He doesn't have anything left to prove, so why not enjoy his last few years with his best bud or his childhood team?

He could also just decide to stay in Pittsburgh. However, I expect he will retire sooner if he isn't moved somewhere else.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I kind of hope Crosby gets traded to the Avs or the Habs. :) He doesn't have anything left to prove, so why not enjoy his last few years with his best bud or his childhood team?

He could also just decide to stay in Pittsburgh. However, I expect he will retire sooner if he isn't moved somewhere else.
He seems to have reiterated that he wants to
retire in Pittsburgh.

My guess is they take their top 10 pick this year, reload in free agency, keep Sullivan, and hope for a much better 2025. As a sharks fan, of course, in that scenario with the pens unprotected 1st in 2025 I hope this doesn't work at all and they collapse next year ala San Jose in 2020.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
HFBoards For Years: “Ugh….we are sick of hearing about the Pens every 5 minutes!!!!” :cry: :cry: :cry:

Penguins: *now about to enter another phase of of total irrelevancy where they probably won’t be featured in anything, or even maybe any good ever again*

HFBoards: *Makes thread about Penguins that won’t leave the main page*

:rolleyes:

Why should Pens fans have it better than Oilers fans? ;)

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I have never seen a credible source that claims Shanahan is involved in personnel moves.

Plenty of Leaf fans started to make this claim at the end of the Dubas era, and they continue to make this claim now, about Tre, but there's still no evidence at all.

Agreed. Never heard that until the end of Dubas in Toronto during his exit plan.
-Shanny certainly didn't pick Sheldon Keefe as coach.
-Shanny probably never heard of Bunting until Dubas brought him in.
-Sparks won a championship in the AHL with Dubas. Kyle thought he was gonna be leafs number one and brought him up.
•Dubas was front and center during Tavares signing and wallowing in the credit.
•Extended Marner , brought in goalie after goalie every summer.
• Re Signed Nylander , Matthews, Rielly.
Traded for Thorton, Foligno, Muzzin, Brodie, O'Rielly, etc etc etc
Where exactly was Shanny getting in Dubas way??

I agree that Shannan was not involved in decisions. The only source that claims that is James mirtle who Dubas leaked stuff to. I think Dubas had full control and used Mirtle to leak this to save face.

I do think Dubas tried to trade for karlson near the end of his tenure but Shanny stepped in. At that point I think there relationship was a little rocky.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
A core that has won 3 Stanley cups. There are 20 organizations that don’t even have that many. 3 more that have 3.

So these guys have done more in the last 20 years than some organizations have done in their entire existence. Imagine being a fan of a team that has never won a single Cup or a fan of a team that has only 1 in 50+ years.

The Penguins have done it right in winning as much as possible but with that comes the inevitable downfall or build back phase of it.

Wouldn’t trade it for anything though. Especially with how much worse other franchises are at winning.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
A core that has won 3 Stanley cups. There are 20 organizations that don’t even have that many. 3 more that have 3.

So these guys have done more in the last 20 years than some organizations have done in their entire existence. Imagine being a fan of a team that has never won a single Cup or a fan of a team that has only 1 in 50+ years.

The Penguins have done it right in winning as much as possible but with that comes the inevitable downfall or build back phase of it.

Wouldn’t trade it for anything though. Especially with how much worse other franchises are at winning.
I was with you until the last sentence. You know, being gifted two generational centers in two consecutive drafts isn't because the penguins organization is head and shoulders above everyone else. They do get credit for building around them, but that's also being born on third base, so to speak.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

That's why you owe it to the players to trade them for a chance to win more cups and add to their legacy. This team is done, it's hitched its wagon to a shitty coach and will be keeping him regardless of what happens.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I was with you until the last sentence. You know, being gifted two generational centers in two consecutive drafts isn't because the penguins organization is head and shoulders above everyone else. They do get credit for building around them, but that's also being born on third base, so to speak.
You can be gifted generational talents and still not win a cup.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

But when Sid and the boys were 32 years old with lots of great prime hockey still in them. They doubled down on Sullivan and wasted some great years of opportunity.
3 Cups were fantastic .....Sully jumped aboard a team thst immediately won two cups. No reason in the world they had to go the next 7 seasons and win only one round.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
You can be gifted generational talents and still not win a cup.
Yes. If you are born on third base, you still need to make it home. Doesn't mean you are better than all the franchises that haven't won, and also never got to start on third base.

And per the commenter after, pens fans will always have their three cups, but there's also the question of why they mismanaged the last 7 years.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The only time Crosby showed any sign of emotion yesterday was when his buddy Marchand said something while they were waiting for a TV time out to end for a faceoff

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Gutsy win over SJ, this team has still got it, time to go all in next offseason.

#MakeItHappenDubas

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Pens should really consider moving Letang and Malkin this summer if they get good returns. At least listen to offers.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Pens should really consider moving Letang and Malkin this summer if they get good returns. At least listen to offers.
We couldn't even get a 1st round pick out of the best forward on the trade market this year. I shudder to think what 71 and 58 would bring back. (spoiler alert: they're going down with the ship)

Reactions: PaulD

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It seems absurd that Sullivan hasn't been fired yet. Why did they extend him when taking over the team?

Mindboggling.

I guess winning two cups buys you a lot of leash :dunno:

Then again, Sutter only lasted 3 seasons before the Kings cut him, Quenneville the same (plus 15 games of a 4th season)

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad