This Pittsburgh Penguins Act is Getting Old

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
And? I didn't say move him to Crosby's wing. He only ever plays with Crosby on the power play nowadays. Early on in his tenure I hated how Sullivan never put them together for any reason outside of PP. I thought Bylsma had a brilliant plan where he would send them both out after a penalty kill. It doesn't work anymore because as you say, Malkin is not the same player, but this is another example of Sullivan not adjusting.

He really, truly and honestly thinks "I've won two cups, my system is successful, the players just aren't executing." But what is really shocking is when they did win, he was adjusting like mad. He handled a decimated defence corps brilliantly in '17. What happened to that guy?
I don't think they play together on the PP anymore either. From some of the recent games I've seen (or parts thereof), Malkin has been moved to PP2.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York

pretty unreal that its been 10 years since theyve had a 1st round draft pick do anything in the NHL. Kasperi Kapanen. many years they didnt have a 1st, but its striking how bad the pens have drafted in the past 10 years. pretty much none of the players that they have drafted that have even played in the NHL have done so as penguins.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
With the Leafs, the story was that Shanahan was blocking him from making the moves that needed to be made. He needed to be in "full control" to really unleash his hockey exec awesomeness.

So now he goes somewhere where he is both GM and President of Hockey Operations (aka the position of authority on all hockey matters)... and now the pro-Dubas narrative is that ownership is mandating him to stay competitive in the Crosby years. So I guess he... doesn't have full control on hockey matters despite it being the position he was specifically after?

Only solution is clear, #SelltheTeamtoDubas. Only then will we truly see the wunderkind in action.

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
I've been saying over the years that Sullivan should of been replaced as far back as 2019. He really started to become ineffective shortly after the cup wins. It's baffling to me that the org has kept him as coach for so long.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013

pretty unreal that its been 10 years since theyve had a 1st round draft pick do anything in the NHL. Kasperi Kapanen. many years they didnt have a 1st, but its striking how bad the pens have drafted in the past 10 years. pretty much none of the players that they have drafted that have even played in the NHL have done so as penguins.
They have been really really bad. Who would you say has been the best at drafting over the past 10 years?

Reactions: ecemleafs

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
They have been really really bad. Who would you say has been the best at drafting over the past 10 years?
Probably very difficult to nail it to one team. It will vary so much just due to how many picks and average pick position.

But some generally good drafting teams over the last decade off the top of my head are: St. Louis, Dallas, Winnipeg, Carolina, Anaheim.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Pretty funny if Crosby is already turning on the GM who he was recruiting last summer.

Do you have a source for that? Why would Crosby try to recruit Dubas to be GM, when Pens management was trying to get him into the President role? Are you saying Crosby tried to sway him to take a lesser role instead?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The Pens should respect Crosbys wishes and trade him to a contender so he has a chance at another cup.

If he ever becomes available, we all know his best bud MacKinnon would push for him to be on the Avs. It would be unreal to see them on the same team even if it was just for one season.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Pretty funny if Crosby is already turning on the GM who he was recruiting last summer.
if Crosby was turning on management, we wouldn’t know about it. The last thing he’d do is announce his displeasure to the media. This response is him being respectful to Jake. Crosby attended PR101 when he was like 8.

Reactions: wetcoast

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Do you have a source for that? Why would Crosby try to recruit Dubas to be GM, when Pens management was trying to get him into the President role? Are you saying Crosby tried to sway him to take a lesser role instead?

He’s both President and GM isn’t he? Crosby helped recruit him. He didn’t take a lesser role, he took both roles.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
He’s both President and GM isn’t he? Crosby helped recruit him. He didn’t take a lesser role, he took both roles.

FSG hired Dubas as president and told him to conduct a GM search. Dubas couldn't find someone to fill the role, so he told management he will be the temporary GM until the role is filled. Later in the season, management let him take the position of GM.

So again, how did Crosby recruit Dubas during the summer? The answer is you made it up.

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
Just watched the presser with him finally. It’s clear him and the coaching group no longer have the same vision. Based on his body language it appears sully is gone over the summer.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Are the Penguins giving up this years first? Next year, they may be drafting in top 5.

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Wild stat:

Despite Sid being tied 5th all time in playoff points, he has only won one playoff series in his 30s.

The writing has been on the wall for the Pens for awhile.

• Wow
Reactions: um

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad