Post-Game Talk: This is the end

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The tragedy of this whole thing as in life in general, the scumbags get the ultimate prize in the end. I felt the Oil deserved a better fate in this final. They were robbed of game one and the Panthers really didn't have 4 good games in the series but won anyway. It's not sour grapes on my part and just my observation. That's life .....
And that’s precisely why I don’t feel bad about it. I’m as proud of this run as I would be had they won it. FLA needed the refs to let them get away with everything (and I don’t give a shit how that comes off; it’s just the truth), the Oilers to be injured and banged up, and they won in game 7 by one goal after getting out played. The Oilers outscored them in the series 23-17, and McDavid won the Conn Smythe.

To sum it up: they played like shit, almost choked a 3-0 lead, refs let them do whatever they want every shift, outscored in the series, and no MVP. Some champions. That’s actually embarrassing.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
And that’s precisely why I don’t feel bad about it. I’m as proud of this run as I would be had they won it. FLA needed the refs to let them get away with everything (and I don’t give a shit how that comes off; it’s just the truth), the Oilers to be injured and banged up, and they won in game 7 by one goal after getting out played. The Oilers outscored them in the series 23-17, and McDavid won the Conn Smythe.

To sum it up: they played like shit, almost choked a 3-0 lead, refs let them do whatever they want every shift, outscored in the series, and no MVP. Some champions. That’s actually embarrassing.
I can agree with this for the most part

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Just checked the money puck and listening to the post game pressers. 66% in game 7. Man we were so close. If Holloway went for the tap in instead of the cross check. If they actually called Henrique being held in the slot as a Janmark net front tap in went rifht by him. If Kulak has challenged the Reinhart shot instead of just letting him walk in. If McD or Hyman could have got good wood on that net front chance in the 3rd. I could go down the list I’m sure of “what Ifs”. But man we were so close, hurts to think about this stuff should I probably shouldn’t.

Reactions: TB12 and stewy04

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Seeing Drai and McDavid confirmed injuries sure sucks. Would have likely been different had they been healthy. Also the ice was TRASH last night man.

Having said all that I am very excited for this offseason and to see what we van do next year.

New GM, opportunity to offload some dead weight. All the major pieces will be back.
It’s 89 and humid ever day in Florida by the summer. You’re not getting good ice there.

They play to the advantages of their barn and home ice was a big advantage in this series. Last change was huge.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They made game 7 of the finals! They had a great season. It could always be worse! Could be chained up in someone's sex dungeon or stung by a bee. Even worse a leafs fan!
that last one *shudders*

we should all take solace in the fact that atleast were not Leafs fans.

Reactions: stewy04

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s 89 and humid ever day in Florida by the summer. You’re not getting good ice there.

They play to the advantages of their barn and home ice was a big advantage in this series. Last change was huge.
Even the NE US teams the ice would not be good with their heat wave. Past 10 minutes into a period ice for sure was going to be bad. But no plans for the nhl to move up their season start date. Still around CAD Thanksgiving vs Oct 1 or late Sept. they’d rather play until June 20 something than play a couple more weeks into the nfl season. But nfl doesn’t care as they will likely go to 18 games and push the SB to late Feb in the coming years.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What would stop Florida from making the ice worse in the Oilers offensive end? Probably nothing. They could have modded a zamboni to throw hot water intermittently when on that side of the ice.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
One other thing is don't just get injured players at TDL. this impacted also opportunity to rest players. Both Henrique and Stecher were injured when we got them. While I like the availability of henrique and the only reason we were able to get him was he was injured its not ideal.
Neither of these guys were injured when we traded for them. Henrique played 82 games this season and got hurt in the playoffs. Stecher seemingly got hurt in the final game of the season.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Surprised they lost after the momentum they had but in a way they were not so historically good as that comeback may have suggested.

McDavid maybe. The team impressed but no one expected them to be an all time great team. But you can see a lot of the pieces were there.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
It would have simply been too good to be true for them to win the cup. Too many problems solved with other fanbases. lol

• Haha
Reactions: brentashton

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I hate Steve Dangle more today than ever before. Completely shits all over the oilers and says "no will remember what they did in a few years time"
It's just jealousy, nothing more. As painful as today is for us, and will be for a while, there are 30 other fanbases that wish they had the incredible last 2 months+ that we have been blessed with. Dangle knows in his heart of hearts that the Leafs one 1st round victory will likely be the greatest playoff moment that he gets to experience as a Leafs fan, and that their core four are horribly flawed, and in a few years they will sell them all off and start another failed rebuild.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'm with ya brother. Wifey gave me the day off to be useless and depressed. I intend to be just that lol.
I actually did some things to get my mind off of hockey (although I listened to a bunch of pods while doing them - 32Thoughts, GYB, Marek, Reid’s postgame), I changed reverse osmosis filters, changed oil in my side by side UTV, walked 17kms, then went fishing for a few hours. Now I’m just pondering how this team can get back to the finals next year in the west conference.

Will be tough. Game 7 was an opportunity.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad