Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 4

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
Or he's simply not willing to lose key pieces of the future to overspend on a soon to be 35 year old player who has declined outside of the powerplay.
Probably would have enough money if he knew how to evaluate players and not give up all your assets to Jeannot and a three year contract to Conor f'n Sheary.

If he can't throw out a bunch of 1sts, he has no chance of landing a good player

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Or he's simply not willing to lose key pieces of the future to overspend on a soon to be 35 year old player who has declined outside of the powerplay.
His job is to make the team better so they have a chance to win in the next couple years. Losing Stamkos is not addition-by-subtraction, regardless of some of the hyperbole written on here.

If he doesn't ship out "key pieces" then this team is getting worse next year.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
His job is to make the team better so they have a chance to win in the next couple years. Losing Stamkos is not addition-by-subtraction, regardless of some of the hyperbole written on here.

Some people here think some magical top 6 forward, that can put up 80 points and slot into the PP just gonna fall in JBBs lap and sign for 4 mil.

JBB has really handcuffed this team. We've seen the decline each year in standings and playoff exits. Writings on the wall, his time is done here

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

No, it's just not for success in the next 2 years, which most on here seem to think is all this team has left or something. Until moves are made, it's hard to say where JBB is planning on adding, but it's clear that sacrificing any of the mod 20's guys to keep.a mid 30's and declining in many facets Stamkos was something JBB was likely not considering. As far as addressing F depth, the next few days will help determine that in terms of what they can spend. They were always going to have one perceived hole in the top 9 if they spent big on defense, which seemed to always be the plan this offseason. Unless Serg is getting moved, which does provide, in addition to smaller trades, the cap flexibility for pretty much everything they need to do, there will be one spot where they'll have to spend less in the F group. If Stamkos leaves it will be a bad day, but tying up a lot of cap in him is likely a worse option for the mid to long range outlook for the team's success

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
assuming Stammer is gone, they have to find a sniper to take his spot on the PP

i don't watch much hockey outside the bolts and playoffs, so i'm not sure exactly how these guys' one timer is (obviously none compare to stammer)

Arvidsson, Marchessault, Toffoli, Perron, Lindholm, Sprong

Montour, Colin Miller

notable right hand shots that stood out at me, could go outside the box with a dman

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
No, it's just not for success in the next 2 years, which most on here seem to think is all this team has left or something. Until moves are made, it's hard to say where JBB is planning on adding, but it's clear that sacrificing any of the mod 20's guys to keep.a mid 30's and declining in many facets Stamkos was something JBB was likely not considering. As far as addressing F depth, the next few days will help determine that in terms of what they can spend. They were always going to have one perceived hole in the top 9 if they spent big on defense, which seemed to always be the plan this offseason. Unless Serg is getting moved, which does provide, in addition to smaller trades, the cap flexibility for pretty much everything they need to do, there will be one spot where they'll have to spend less in the F group. If Stamkos leaves it will be a bad day, but tying up a lot of cap in him is likely a worse option for the mid to long range outlook for the team's success
Agree to disagree with all this I guess.

On "tying up a lot of cap" on Stamkos. Nobody ever suggested this or indicated this.

On the long term out look of the team. I don't think there is a long term outlook for this squad. The "mid 20s" core is nowhere near as talented or impactful as the Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov core. You aren't gonna be able to build around them in 3-4 years the way you build around this current core.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Agree to disagree with all this I guess.

On "tying up a lot of cap" on Stamkos. Nobody ever suggested this or indicated this.

On the long term out look of the team. I don't think there is a long term outlook for this squad. The "mid 20s" core is nowhere near as talented or impactful as the Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov core. You aren't gonna be able to build around them in 3-4 years the way you build around this current core.
Unless you have a crystal ball, you can't say that they won't be able to build around them in 3-4 years. We also don't know what Stamkos is being offered or what moves JBB may or may not be considering. For 80% of the season, a great many on here were just fine letting him walk if he didn't take 5.x aav. He had one really good stretch and 5 good playoff games and now it's a travesty if he's not kept? I'd rather keep him as.well, but not at the expense of Cirelli or Cernak. Serg could be lost if the trade allowed them to.not only keep Stamkos,.but also add a solid middle 6 F and RD to balance the blueline (which doesn't happen moving either of the other two), but if JBB won't and Stamkos wants more than.he can offer, so be it.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Unless you have a crystal ball, you can't say that they won't be able to build around them in 3-4 years. We also don't know what Stamkos is being offered or what moves JBB may or may not be considering. For 80% of the season, a great many on here were just fine letting him walk if he didn't take 5.x aav. He had one really good stretch and 5 good playoff games and now it's a travesty if he's not kept? I'd rather keep him as.well, but not at the expense of Cirelli or Cernak. Serg could be lost if the trade allowed them to.not only keep Stamkos,.but also add a solid middle 6 F and RD to balance the blueline (which doesn't happen moving either of the other two), but if JBB won't and Stamkos wants more than.he can offer, so be it.
Again with the hyperbole. I'm not even saying he had a great overall year, but "one really good stretch and 5 good playoff games" does not equal 81 points and 40 goals. You act like the dude is worthless...

Reactions: Stammertime91

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Again with the hyperbole. I'm not even saying he had a great overall year, but "one really good stretch and 5 good playoff games" does not equal 81 points and 40 goals. You act like the dude is worthless...
No, I don't. You're the one that knows the future apparently.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
He scored 40 goals and wants < 5m.
We don't know really what he wants, as all of this speculation and rumor is entirely based on one article/post where one person is guessing or thinking that maybe this is the situation. When either JBB or Stamkos and his agent say something g conclusive, then actual conclusions can be drawn.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We don't know really what he wants, as all of this speculation and rumor is entirely based on one article/post where one person is guessing or thinking that maybe this is the situation. When either JBB or Stamkos and his agent say something g conclusive, then actual conclusions can be drawn.

LeBrun is pretty informed but sure let's pretend it's from some random on Twitter.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The "between 4 and 5m" came from Don Meehan. Dreger reported it on television.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad