Post-Game Talk: This is the end

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
View attachment 887220

Mrs. McDavid sending some love to Oilers fans.
Holy crap. Thank you beautiful Lauren Kyle! That’s a great message that this fanbase needs to hear right now.

Listen to how she’s grateful for being part of Edmonton. She keeps referring to us as “we”. All good signs for McD’s future here. Should show Lauren some love from this fanbase.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You are correct I meant that game 6 of the Dallas series, I wasn't thinking of the van series. In retrospect I can also give him the Kings game 4 as a stolen game.
Couple of stolen games, couple of solid games, couple of bad games. That’s the story of goaltending for essentially everyone outside of maybe shesterkin and Swayman. Overall brought about as much as a 10M goalie in Bob and better than Vezina lock Hellybucyk. I’ll take that at 2.6M all day, and we will need to considering how top heavy we are.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Sorry but reading stuff like this frustrates me.
The top guys have been spectacular for this organization for almost a decade, pretty much the only reason they've been relevant at all for the most part, Draisaitl actually set the tone in Game 6 with a stellar 1st period and the team rolled from there then there was a Game 7 on shitty ice on the road which was a super intense grind against an excellent defensive team in which the guys pushed really hard but just couldn't make that final touch to get the puck over the line and here you guys are calling them pathetic. Sorry but these are pathetic comments, to be frank. These guys, all the guys on this team, deserve our respect for how hard they battled and getting so close to the finish line.
For a guy with a broken rib and a broken finger, Drai played great. I was kind of hard on him in one post here, but I have to give him credit for doing as well as he did with everything taken into consideration. He's a warrior, along with McDavid (who apparently may need surgery for an injury he's been playing through). These guys will take this team back to the Cup, and with a couple improvements on the roster I think we'll win the next time we make it. I'm incredibly sure of that.

Florida lost last year in the finals, won it this year. I think we can do the same.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
yea i hear you

here's PP opportunities in game 7's of the SCF since 06

The Oilers-Canes series was actually a bit of an outlier with 9 penalties called. But you can see a pattern over the last 2 decades

View attachment 887194

I think players just play so much more disciplined because of the stakes. It felt like too many men, puck over glass, and high-sticking penalties (eg the objective calls) took up a large percentage of penalty calls this year and neither team committed these infractions in Game 7 (except dor Foegele and Bouchard high stick). I remember one instance particularly where one of our players (I think McDavid) was heading to the bench for a line change and the puck came to him just as he reached the bench. Normally that's when the players do the hot potato dance and jump over the boards to avoid touching the puck, but right before jumping over the boards he played it, and then I saw as he jumped off, his replacement jumped on once he was all the way over the boards. That play stuck out to me.

Reactions: sepHF

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It was a success, but the lesson from it needs to be that you need to start well so that by the deadline you don't need to drive your players into the ground and if a couple are dealing with something that needs 8 weeks to get them to 100%, give them the time off to heal and use that cap space. I really like to think a healthy 95-100% Kane for Game 1 of the playoffs may have been a critical X factor in this final round that was missing.

The added benefit of taking care of business early also helps your chances at getting home ice and hopefully a couple shorter series reducing the wear and tear on the bodies and reducing the risk of injury.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
It was a success, but the lesson from it needs to be that you need to start well so that by the deadline you don't need to drive your players into the ground and if a couple are dealing with something that needs 8 weeks to get them to 100%, give them the time off to heal and use that cap space. I really like to think a healthy 95-100% Kane for Game 1 of the playoffs may have been a critical X factor in this final round that was missing.

The added benefit of taking care of business early also helps your chances at getting home ice and hopefully a couple shorter series reducing the wear and tear on the bodies and reducing the risk of injury.
One other thing is don't just get injured players at TDL. this impacted also opportunity to rest players. Both Henrique and Stecher were injured when we got them. While I like the availability of henrique and the only reason we were able to get him was he was injured its not ideal.

Need to pare down some of the stay on players like Ryan, he's done, and Perry is useless, make final decision on Kane, myself I wouldn't be bringing back Connor Brown either, and decisions need to be made on Foegele/McLeod vs just bringing in other guys.

Watched the team get old this year and the older players should be stalwart like Janmark or healthy Henrique or not here at all.

For all the blow about how great Brown finished he had 2 goals all playoffs and only 5 regular season. Perry was just a big bag of useless. Really its amazing we got this far considering we have a lot of player misses. Not sure what Carrick was either.

henrique was the only helpful player added the whole season. We were so close that one other deal could have made the difference.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Lol at that fukin dirtbag shit Tkachuk shouting out Calgary

Loser quits on his team to go back to Murica after getting shit kicked by Edmonton

Reactions: Oilhawks

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don’t care what anybody says; this run was as good as a Cup win for me. I couldn’t be any more impressed with this team, even if they had won it.

They were one goal short, in spite of all the injuries, going down 0-3 and coming back, the start to the year. They never gave up and battled until the very last second. They just didn’t get the bounces they needed. FLA was not the better team. EDM wins if the refs didn’t let the Panthers hack, slash, hook, hold and interfere literally every single shift.

The tragic undertones, McDavid winning the Conn Smythe, and the looming uncertainty only makes it more legendary. I’ll never forget it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don’t care what anybody says; this run was as good as a Cup win for me. I couldn’t be any more impressed with this team, even if they had won it.

They were one goal short, in spite of all the injuries, going down 0-3 and coming back, the start to the year. They never gave up and battled until the very last second. They just didn’t get the bounces they needed. FLA was not the better team.

The tragic undertones, McDavid winning the Conn Smythe, and the looming uncertainty only makes it more legendary. I’ll never forget it.
Yeh f*** it. We pretty much won it lol. I'll take it, knowing we still have a great chance at the real thing next year. Proud of this run and happy we got to experience it. Never seen Downtown so lit, never seen so much belief in Oil Country, and never seen the team look like they were having so much fun. I find it hard to shit on anyone in this line up at this point, they all deserve a ton of credit for getting this far.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
One other thing is don't just get injured players at TDL. this impacted also opportunity to rest players. Both Henrique and Stecher were injured when we got them. While I like the availability of henrique and the only reason we were able to get him was he was injured its not ideal.

Need to pare down some of the stay on players like Ryan, he's done, and Perry is useless, make final decision on Kane, myself I wouldn't be bringing back Connor Brown either, and decisions need to be made on Foegele/McLeod vs just bringing in other guys.

Watched the team get old this year and the older players should be stalwart like Janmark or healthy Henrique or not here at all.

For all the blow about how great Brown finished he had 2 goals all playoffs and only 5 regular season. Perry was just a big bag of useless. Really its amazing we got this far considering we have a lot of player misses. Not sure what Carrick was either.

henrique was the only helpful player added the whole season. We were so close that one other deal could have made the difference.
For all the bitching about giving up the first for Carrick and Henrique(not you) it turns out to be 29th overall. I would do that over agin in a heartbeat.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG

They were one goal short, in spite of all the injuries, going down 0-3 and coming back, the start to the year. They never gave up and battled until the very last second. They just didn’t get the bounces they needed. FLA was not the better team. EDM wins if the refs didn’t let the Panthers hack, slash, hook, hold and interfere literally every single shift.

The tragedy of this whole thing as in life in general, the scumbags get the ultimate prize in the end. I felt the Oil deserved a better fate in this final. They were robbed of game one and the Panthers really didn't have 4 good games in the series but won anyway. It's not sour grapes on my part and just my observation. That's life .....

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
The tragedy of this whole thing as in life in general, the scumbags get the ultimate prize in the end. I felt the Oil deserved a better fate in this final. They were robbed of game one and the Panthers really didn't have 4 good games in the series but won anyway. It's not sour grapes on my part and just my observation. That's life .....
Yeah, pretty much this. And going back to @Soundwave's earlier post, it's quite something that the Canadian teams in the last four (now five) SCF G7s have never led at any point and lost every single time. That's some ridicoulous bad luck for seemingly a coin flip each time.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad