Post-Game Talk: This is the end

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Skinner definitely stole some games though. He started out historically bad but by the time we made the finals Skinner looked elite don’t you think? Maybe 1-2 bad goals in the finals, he was great. And I say this as someone who has been really critical of Skinner.

He’s still young so hopefully this experience helped him develop into a more consistent goaltender.

We just need a backup that can give him rest when he needs it.
Skinner stole game. Singular, not plural. He stole one game. By estimation he lost 4-5 games on his own this playoffs after losing several the year before.

None of Nurse, Ceci, Skinner are ideal in getting back to the dance. Any .900 goalie would have got us this far and Skinner was far under that most of the playoffs. Oilers defensively far underrated and especially on maybe the best playoff pk ever. I mean not even giving up shots or chances on most kills.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Seeing Drai and McDavid confirmed injuries sure sucks. Would have likely been different had they been healthy. Also the ice was TRASH last night man.

Having said all that I am very excited for this offseason and to see what we van do next year.

New GM, opportunity to offload some dead weight. All the major pieces will be back.
Although we know they're injured in some way, the 'confirmation' is from some hfboards lurker with no actual connections inside the team, reposted on a website with ten daily viewers.

We'll let an actual accredited media member or team representative comment on the injuries.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
it definitely didnt help

Draisaitl for example doesnt break his finger if that series gets wrapped up in 6 or less

Skinner did better than i thought he would though and proved himself in my eyes. Good value for his contract. Would be nice to have a true 1a/1b setup but I dont know how they could make that work money wise

Agreed. I really think they need to give Rodrigue a shot (someone mentioned he will require waivers this year so they don't have a choice if they think he gets claimed), but also getting a Blackwood type of 1B would be really nice.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I don't know how this excuses them eating their whistles when you have two huge moments with players being hooked right in front of the net. If Hymans stick isn't hooked with a wide open net the game goes to ot they just decided to ignore it cause it wasn't a high sticking penalty.
I saw plenty of hooks by Oilers too. Atleast 5 i can think of. Bouchards 1st lift on Verhaghe after he got stripped was definitely in the hands.

It went both ways 100%

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Skinner stole game. Singular, not plural. He stole one game. By estimation he lost 4-5 games on his own this playoffs after losing several the year before.

None of Nurse, Ceci, Skinner are ideal in getting back to the dance. Any .900 goalie would have got us this far and Skinner was far under that most of the playoffs. Oilers defensively far underrated and especially on maybe the best playoff pk ever. I mean not even giving up shots or chances on most kills.
I thought he was great in the finals. Leading up to the finals not so much, I was probably saying we should trade him 2 weeks ago.

He proved he’s got more in the finals, where it counts the most. But I would be in favor of getting a 1b, basically a .900 goalie that we can fall back on. Skinner doesn’t make so much money that he needs to go.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

The shutout against the Kings counts a stolen game to me as well

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The Skinner situation is one of those things where you can't really have it both ways. The haters are right in that he could have been better and maybe had a couple shorter series that may have impacted the Finals. But the supporters are also right in that he stole some games that could have changed the complexion of the series had they gone otherwise (Game 6 vs Dallas, Game 4 vs LA, and was very good in game 5 & 6 vs Vancouver).

Does a better goalie win them the Cup this year? Could be, but not sure who they could have had for his cap hit that would have done any better. And if the goalie cost more cap, who do they lose to fit that goalie in? (realistically, not fantasy land bullshit like Nurse out for a better and cheaper D)
I'd grant the LA game and the Dallas game. Not the Vancouver games and especially considering how many games Skinner f***ed up in that series. The LA game just seemed to be the Oilers taking a night off like most clubs seem to do, even in playoffs. Wish they wouldn't but the Oilers take less nights off than other clubs and have to be up every game, due to the goaltending.

Fair enough. That was just highlighted in another post. I forgot about that game because its a rare one the Oilers didn't show up in.

That said it was the Kings who couldn't score into a barn door outside of Kempe.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

Race Dawg

LEAFS SUCK!!
Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
Anyway Sens fan coming in peace. No horses in this race but really caught the Oliers bug and especially this last round (primarily cause you were playing a team I despised) but not going to lie I'm a little bumed out that you guys lost last night. Mad respect for the Oilers coming back to tie the series. Honestly felt overall you were better than Florida but the grind of the elongated playoffs took its toll and Edmonton just ran out gas in the third...

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
game 7's in the SCF are always like this, if you look back at other series teams get 1-2 PP opportunities max. Basically unless you're getting high sticked or the team is blasting the puck over the glass whistles are put away. Refs dont want to factor in the result
And yet by throwing the whistles away…..they are a factor in the result.

Within a reasonable margin, Game 1 of the season should be reffed the same as Game 7 of the SCF.

This idea that it’s a 3 PP max for game 7 is ridiculous. They called a penalty in the opening 3 mins of each period…….thanks for doing your job refs….

The way they call these games 7’s will always result in these boring, mucky games and that is what we got.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I thought he was great in the finals. Leading up to the finals not so much, I was probably saying we should trade him 2 weeks ago.

He proved he’s got more in the finals, where it counts the most. But I would be in favor of getting a 1b, basically a .900 goalie that we can fall back on. Skinner doesn’t make so much money that he needs to go.
I don't think he was great. I think the Oilers dominated, completely dominated 2-3 of the games. Defensively the Oilers are such a stalwart tight club that fans even freak out when a guy is left with an open shot, ever, like the one Reinhart scored the winner on. The Oilers had become so airtight that they were allowing limited scoring chances. Skinners biggest battle in final was long stints where he wasn't even seeing any puck.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
And yet by throwing the whistles away…..they are a factor in the result.

Within a reasonable margin, Game 1 of the season should be reffed the same as Game 7 of the SCF.

This idea that it’s a 3 PP max for game 7 is ridiculous. They called a penalty in the opening 3 mins of each period…….thanks for doing your job refs….

The way they call these games 7’s will always result in these boring, mucky games and that is what we got.
yea i hear you

here's PP opportunities in game 7's of the SCF since 06

The Oilers-Canes series was actually a bit of an outlier with 9 penalties called. But you can see a pattern over the last 2 decades

1719348678057.png

Reactions: onetweasy

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Of course it does. Maybe even the 1 goal against game too. And outside of completely stolen games which are rare save for the very top echelon on goalies, he had plenty of games where he kept us in it until the Oilers could get rolling.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Skinner definitely stole some games though. He started out historically bad but by the time we made the finals Skinner looked elite don’t you think? Maybe 1-2 bad goals in the finals, he was great. And I say this as someone who has been really critical of Skinner.

He’s still young so hopefully this experience helped him develop into a more consistent goaltender.

We just need a backup that can give him rest when he needs it.
He had some good and some ok games far too few and in between but aside that 1 exceptional performance in the Vancouver series I wouldn't say he stole any games.

I don’t think we can agree on what elite means because I don't see a glimmer of that in Stuart game.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Of course it does. Maybe even the 1 goal against game too. And outside of completely stolen games which are rare save for the very top echelon on goalies, he had plenty of games where he kept us in it until the Oilers could get rolling.
Yes aside from games 1-3 in Vancouver he played pretty damn good and gave us every chance to win.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He couldn't give 2 shits about that city; we beat them to a pulp and he ran away crying! f*** him indeed!
Haha. Flames fans cheering their cuckholder is hilarious. They're like a brain dead organ donor (killed by the Oilers playoff series) that gave up all their vital organs to LA; Vancouver; Dallas; and Florida. Cling to hope that they'll alive through another body but now just a hollow shell.

Calgary Flames the minor league affiliate to multiple NHL teams! Tkatchuk is such a turd and had no bearing on the Final feeling the need to flex. Haha priceless all around.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He had some good and some ok games far too few and in between but aside that 1 exceptional performance in the Vancouver series I wouldn't say he stole any games.

I don’t think we can agree on what elite means because I don't see a glimmer of that in Stuart game.
Dallas game 6 too.
La shutout and 1 goal performance. Forgot which one but we put up like 14 shots and won.

Yes aside from games 1-3 in Vancouver he played pretty damn good and gave us every chance to win.
Yeh I would say that too. Games 1-3 in Van i was ready for Pickard too. Not enough big saves were being made as opposed to weak goals, which is why Knob made the move at that time too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Haha. Flames fans cheering their cuckholder is hilarious. They're like a brain dead organ donor (killed by the Oilers playoff series) that gave up all their vital organs to LA; Vancouver; Dallas; and Florida. Cling to hope that they'll alive through another body but now just a hollow shell.

Calgary Flames the minor league affiliate to multiple NHL teams! Tkatchuk is such a turd and had no bearing on the Final feeling the need to flex. Haha priceless all around.
most of the flames fans posting online are actually jeering Tkachuks comments. Even Calgary hates Ratf*** now. Welcome to the club, what took them so long to arrive.? haha

Reactions: Oilhawks

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
As a neutral, I thoroughly enjoyed the series and gained respect for your Oilers who played great.

IMO, next year’s Knoblauch‘s Oilers are going to follow the blueprint of Sather’s 1983 Oilers who just needed to learn from the Islanders on what was required to win. Your O will remain fantastic and the newfound commitment to D is what turned the corner. Skinner is not Fuhr but in today’s NHL non-super team League I don’t think it will be necessary.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad