Post-Game Talk: This is the end

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
McDavid once told his Dad that he didn't want to play for the Erie Otters and his Dad told "you play for the team that drafted you" and he listened. So take that from what you will. That's what I mean.
That's great advice from Brian. But playing for a team that drafted you and coming out to accept a trophy aren't in the same category of "things you must do that you don't like". No one says he MUST accept the trophy, it's not a requirement in the NHL, it's been denied before, it will be denied in the future.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I actually thought that his own father was expecting Mcdavid to come out. The broadcast showed him having his camera phone out and ready. He probably should have come out but it's not a huge deal to me. I think his dad raised him differently though so it's a little surprising.
Different views on this are fine. Not sure why there always has to be so much vitriol from others in response. I'm old school. You Win a trophy, you show up and take it, to not do so, its a bit off in a gate driven sport. McD's parents/sister were out there to see something to smile about and the Panthers and fans were clapping somewhat and Dad even did have his camera out clearly not just expecting to be taking a picture of the lonely cup on the table.

I don't really subscribe to the you don't touch this or that, thats all hogwash superstition. Conn Smyth is a worthy cup and worth looking at and venerating all that walked before you and won that trophy. Its not just the SC thats hard to Win. Conn Smyth only goes to one player each year and sometimes not from even winning club.

But I can see either view being valid. Connor is also a team guy and doesn't want to accept trophy that is about individual accomplishment. But there was some disconnect between father figuring his son would pick up the Trophy and the son that didn't. just saying.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Yeah I’ve been saying this for years. Nobody remembers the runner up. Most hockey fans couldn’t tell you the last 5 champs in order..

It’s not a big deal, forget this and move on. Oilers still have a good team and should get a few more shots. Good teams make it back to the finals despite what some people have been saying today.
Honestly I don't pay attention the playoffs after the Oilers get eliminated. I've been lucky with my work schedule that I'd been able to watch every single game the Oilers played since 2019 live on streaming and I couldn't tell you the last 5 winners of the cup in order without looking, I don't watch other teams play. Hockey season for me ends when it does for the oilers

Reactions: Ibanez

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Different views on this are fine. Not sure why there always has to be so much vitriol from others in response. I'm old school. You Win a trophy, you show up and take it, to not do so, its a bit off in a gate driven sport. McD's parents/sister were out there to see something to smile about and the Panthers and fans were clapping somewhat and Dad even did have his camera out clearly not just expecting to be taking a picture of the lonely cup on the table.

I don't really subscribe to the you don't touch this or that, thats all hogwash superstition. Conn Smyth is a worthy cup and worth looking at and venerating all that walked before you and won that trophy. Its not just the SC thats hard to Win. Conn Smyth only goes to one player each year and sometimes not from even winning club.

But I can see either view being valid. Connor is also a team guy and doesn't want to accept trophy that is about individual accomplishment. But there was some disconnect between father figuring his son would pick up the Trophy and the son that didn't. just saying.
I think Connor also just wanted to be with his team after that loss. He didn't want to leave the room.

If they did the award 20 mins later I'm sure he would have been there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
That's great advice from Brian. But playing for a team that drafted you and coming out to accept a trophy aren't in the same category of "things you must do that you don't like". No one says he MUST accept the trophy, it's not a requirement in the NHL, it's been denied before, it will be denied in the future.
Sometimes I'd wish for McD that he'd lighten up some more. Enjoy some more things that he's fully earned. Sure theres nothing wrong with not accepting the trophy. But there could be something wrong with not enjoying some of the fruits of your toils. He earned it.

The other perspective is family was there and they did not get to see him hoist the preferred cup, so consolation, rare as it is, would be awfully nice. Just a moment and pictures anyway.

Like I said I can either side. No biggie to me.

I think Connor also just wanted to be with his team after that loss. He didn't want to leave the room.

If they did the award 20 mins later I'm sure he would have been there.
It was 20mins later. The delay seemed interminable from game ending to them finally getting around to handing out the silverware. Or it least it feeled that to me as my evrey compulsion was turn this shit off. But I always watch the cup presentation if I am watching. Just traditional.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

I have no issue with what Connor did, Not my monkey, not my zoo.

I do believe that all trophies are valuable and worthy. Not touching a trophy is just stupid. Winning the East and west is an accomplishment and to pretend it isn't is stupid. The only ones I don't think is worth much are the division titles and presidents trophy. To me, it never made sense to have a trophy for the regular season winner AND the playoffs. Not too mention that the presidents trophy winners rarely ever win the cup.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I can guarantee that if McDavid left Edmonton and won a cup on another team against the Flames a lot of your fan base would do the same thing. But go ahead and pretend you wouldn't ;)
That’s all dependent on the circumstances of him leaving. Didn’t cheer for Pronger in 07. Why? Because he demanded a trade that set my team back 5-10 years. Exactly the same thing as Ratboy did to you guys but here you are celebrating his “victory”. (He had 9 points all playoffs 3 in the final round and spent more time flopping than skating). He deserves no credit for this win complete passenger and still a disgrace to the game. So no it’s not all the same.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sometimes I'd wish for McD that he'd lighten up some more. Enjoy some more things that he's fully earned. Sure theres nothing wrong with not accepting the trophy. But there could be something wrong with not enjoying some of the fruits of your toils. He earned it.

The other perspective is family was there and they did not get to see him hoist the preferred cup, so consolation, rare as it is, would be awfully nice. Just a moment and pictures anyway.

Like I said I can either side. No biggie to me.
Yeh I hope he's enjoying the ride too. Sucks to not win it all, but he's got alot to be happy with. His career is amongst of the best of all time, he's making his mark and is proving how good he is to the hockey world. A Conn Smythe is a worth accomplishment, I would have had no issue if he accepted it too. But at the end of the day, we all know what the real trophy he wants is. So in keeping with that line of thinking and his mindset, the Smythe denial just reaffirms his priorities in my view.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
We have differing views but I respect your answer.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Case in point: everyone talking about how the 1942 Maple Leafs were - and still are - the only team in NHL history to come back from 0-3 in the final to win the Cup.

The 1945 Red Wings came back from 0-3 down in the Cup final against those same Leafs, but lost game 7. Nobody was talking about them this week.

Or here's another one; everyone remembers the 1975 Islanders who pulled the reverse sweep on the Penguins. Those very same 1975 Islanders almost did it again the very next round but lost to the Flyers in game 7. I didn't even know that, or maybe I did but I forgot it.

History remembers the winners, not the losers. The shorthand form of 2024 will be, Panthers won the Cup over the Oilers in 7. The 3-0 will be a footnote.

Time fades all ink. No one outside of the Leafs fanbase talked about that team in decades until the Oilers started a comeback these finals

The only Cup wins people remember are from teams with big / passionate fanbases or had special circumstances (last or only win by a team with a passionate fanbase, multiple Cup wins / dynasty, Cup win with a HOF player on them). Panthers win will be one of those wins that people have to look up to remember in a decade or two, just like the Canes win.

Reactions: TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Delete

Hey, some people out there can now say with some sort of pride or badge of honour that we've lost to the last 3 cup winners, woo hoo!

So apparently Ratf*** gave a shout out to his fans in Calgary after the game “you know I wouldn’t let Edmonton win” or some shit? I hope someone takes off his head next season. Piece of shit got carried to a Cup. He had a handful of decent games the entire run. Overrated trash tarnishing the Cup with his name

Two years of garbage like him, Bennett, Stone and Pieceofshitangelo (yeah I know his name was on before) getting a Cup makes my nausea for this league deepen
If I'm a Flames fan, I 'd tell him to go f*** himself. He did nothing for them in the playoffs and then pissed off to a team down south. And he's acting like he did them some kind of "favour." What a dumb f***. Wish his mom would have just clocked him in that stupid commercial with his cabbage patch brother.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We have differing views but I respect your answer.
All good if we agree to disagree. But think about it this way, next year when we are on the cusp again, god willing, announcers and broadcasters will bring up that he didnt accept the trophy and just characterize it like "He has his eyes set on the ultimate prize." It really won't be a big deal.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
If I'm a Flames fan, I 'd tell him to go f*** himself. He did nothing for them in the playoffs and then pissed off to a team down south. And he's acting like he did them some kind of "favour." What a dumb f***. Wish his mom would have just clocked him in that stupid commercial with his cabbage patch brother.

Here is some of the well-deserved heat he got for that shout out

IMG_1250.jpeg
IMG_1251.jpeg
IMG_1252.jpeg

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Never said it was a conspiracy - just stating the facts of how the optics for something like this looks. It IS a bad look, no matter how you shape it.

game 7's in the SCF are always like this, if you look back at other series teams get 1-2 PP opportunities max. Basically unless you're getting high sticked or the team is blasting the puck over the glass whistles are put away. Refs dont want to factor in the result

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I’m far from a Skinner fan but goaltender isn’t really the issue here. He was putrid against the Canucks (aside from game 6 and 7 after he had his little reset) but they seemed to be in his head. Otherwise he had a good playoffs. He was the MVP game 6 vs Dallas as well.

Tonight, they needed to score another goal to get it to OT. Depth did all the scoring the last two games. Took them 3 games to start elevating the puck and going blocker side vs Bob. Should have won one of those games instead of relying on the almost impossible feat of winning 4 in a row in a playoff series
Absolutely. As has been said, this series was lost in games 1 and/or 3 with some lack of bearing down to finish and some stubborness and lack of attention to detail. They did all that in game 4,5,and 6, but too large of a mountain to climb and the odds against them finally came to fruition.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
had to log into my account after months to reply to the dumbest comment ive seen.

I mean good lord, this has to be a troll lmao. Sid, mack, so many players play like this? Drop off next season? Remember when Crosby was 27-28 and was "washed?" Oh... he won two cups in a row after...
I believe it is poor analysis to compare Draisaitl to Mack and Crosby. The only similarity in their games is they use their physical attributes to gain advantages, but in two very different ways. Mack and Crosby being bulls in China shops with Draisaitl being a more physically imposing Joe Thornton type who slows the game down, basically the opposite of those guys.

We saw how utterly useless he was when he wasn't a threat to score anymore. When the Panthers stopped converging multiple players on him because they know he wasn't the threat he usually is. Guy couldn't shoot the puck, couldn't turn with the puck, couldn't make plays. Couldn't skate like he used to.

He went from being a top 3 player on earth to being good. Another set of nagging injuries adding to stuff like his ankle never recovering has you wonder: if he doesn't regain that burst of speed that often set up his playmaking abilities coupled with strength to push people off of him, or if he has injuries that even slightly reduce his shooting capabilities -- what are we left with?

The sport is a game of inches and we've seen Draisaitl being able to precision snipe from that spot. A core injury or ribs that never fully heal, or feet and knees that start to get sore far more often all of a sudden leads to that 1 inch gap in the net he has to shoot at suddenly missing. He's an inch off and those goals simply aren't being scored anymore.

Thornton produced for so long because his stickhandling and brain were always elite, he played the game in a rocking chair like Bouchard. Crosby has reinvented himself, but let's not forget he is a top 5 player all time. Mackinnon hasn't suffered injuries that have an effect on his game in the way Draisaitl has.

Draisaitl thrives off gaining an edge in the tiny amount of space the goalie offers, or the inch of separation he can bounce a guy off of himself for to slide a pass in between a stick length. Losing some speed or some strength negate those skills entirely. I am worried.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
At least you explained yourself with this comment. Not your initial childish 5 word response I don't give a damn if he went out and recieved the trophy but his father taught him that at times you have to do things whether you like to or not.
Calling it dogshit and a joke shows you have a mentality of a septic tank.
A septic tank? Ouch.

You can’t compare expecting your kid to play for the team he was drafted to and expecting your kid on the hardest night of his life to come out crying / heart broken to a bunch of boos to basically humiliate himself.

As a father I couldn’t even imagine having this line of thought.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
game 7's in the SCF are always like this, if you look back at other series teams get 1-2 PP opportunities max. Basically unless you're getting high sticked or the team is blasting the puck over the glass whistles are put away. Refs dont want to factor in the result
But in another kind of way, they actually ARE factoring in the result. Hockey is the only major sport where the interpretation of rules is completely different in the playoffs than it is in regular season.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeh I hope he's enjoying the ride too. Sucks to not win it all, but he's got alot to be happy with. His career is amongst of the best of all time, he's making his mark and is proving how good he is to the hockey world. A Conn Smythe is a worth accomplishment, I would have had no issue if he accepted it too. But at the end of the day, we all know what the real trophy he wants is. So in keeping with that line of thinking and his mindset, the Smythe denial just reaffirms his priorities in my view.
I'm glad Leon and others are around Connor but then again Leon often has the same problem. Such serious and dedicated people and the trouble one finds in that is life goes quickly and sometimes good to stop at your accomplishments and enjoy them. these are all fine young lads and they earned this.

Thanks for the response. I enjoy all the views on this sort of thing.

One last comment and I hope nobody takes this the wrong way but pro sports are gate and viewer driven. People want to see you with the cup, the fans generally want to see you with the cup and its something. its not the holy grail for McDavid, and thats fine, but its something for the followers, the family, etc. My preference was to see him with it. I treasure that trophy due to all the hockey heros, selected, very few, that ever won it. you rarely get a 2nd chance at that trophy either.

I'm historian inclined so would have held and loved that cup just for what it is and the venerable names on that classic trophy. I'd cry with that cup, no doubt. We're all different.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
As bad as Tkachuk’s on ice comments were after the game, Maurice’s were even more vomit inducing. He took Narcissism to a new level. I don’t remember them word for word because, honestly, I wanted to forget them as soon as I heard them but he basically compared himself to every great in hockey who had ever won the Stanley Cup because he himself has now won one too. Rocket Richard was one of the names he pulled out of his ass. It was infinitely more bizarre and out there than any of the other pressers he’s given during the playoffs on nights when he was feeling good about himself. Nick Zito isn’t the only lunatic working for that team.
I couldn’t watch the stanley cup presentation bc I didn’t want to watch him and Sam ‘I’m insecure I couldn’t do a pull-up at the combine 10 years ago so now I’ve made wanting to be a tough guy my life mission to compensate’ lift the cup. As someone on the bandwagon I feel more upset at Florida winning than Edmonton losing. You guys as fans are more loyal and deserve it way more than those bandwagoners, half of whom will stop watching hockey altogether after one bad season. Something about Maurice just screams off. Narcissistic is probably accurate. I wouldn’t trust him as a person idk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad